Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 08:29   #1

The Real MarkJ Exposed

We have just finished crossing the Atlantic with St. Maarten our landfall. Due to bad fuel we were without an engine so dropped an email to Mark(whom I have only conversed with on this forum) asking him for a hand once we had anchored in the outer bay. It was just minutes after we had anchored that MarkJ arrived and advised us that he had arranged with another cruising buddy to push us under the bridge(when it opened) and get us into the protected lagoon so that we could arrange repairs. He then spent the better part of a day and a half running us all over the place, heck I don't think my Son would have given us such treatment. Anyways this guy is a winner in the friendly cruiser department and I just wanted others on this forum to know what a great guy he really is and of course without this forum I would not have met him in the first place. We are forever grateful....Robert
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:34   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
re: The Real MarkJ Exposed

I'm not surprised.
When I joined CF, Mark J was the first one to respond to me on this forum.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:36   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yeah... I've always suspected that underneath that tough crocodiled persona lives a friendly little wombat.

Cheers Mark :beer:
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:37   #4
cruiser

I'm not surprised either.

Goodonya Mark!!!
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

While a forum can be a place of conflict of ideas and often complaints, it is nice to read, on this forum, a good story about a good person doing a good deed that helps sailors.

Admirable efforts and actions, when appreciated and shared have a positive ripple effect.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:15   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have just finished crossing the Atlantic with St. Maarten our landfall. Due to bad fuel we were without an engine so dropped an email to Mark(whom I have only conversed with on this forum) asking him for a hand once we had anchored in the outer bay. It was just minutes after we had anchored that MarkJ arrived and advised us that he had arranged with another cruising buddy to push us under the bridge(when it opened) and get us into the protected lagoon so that we could arrange repairs. He then spent the better part of a day and a half running us all over the place, heck I don't think my Son would have given us such treatment. Anyways this guy is a winner in the friendly cruiser department and I just wanted others on this forum to know what a great guy he really is and of course without this forum I would not have met him in the first place. We are forever grateful....Robert
Nice to know he's a good and helpful sailor who can be relied upon.

Cheers to Mark and thanks for the report card Robert!
Old 18-12-2014, 10:16   #7

Ditto on the "no surprise at all" comments.

Though I have to admit that when I first read the subject line, I was afraid this thread was going to contain pictures that would have me wanting to rinse my eyes out with Clorox!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:34   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Ditto on the "no surprise at all" comments.

Though I have to admit that when I first read the subject line, I was afraid this thread was going to contain pictures that would have me wanting to rinse my eyes out with Clorox!
Ditto that. I was also afraid.... very afraid.

Glad to hear you two made it across safely. That's what this forum and cruising is all about. Forging lasting friendships. Say hello to Mrs. Sailor.

Ken

PS: Check out my fuel polishing thread sometime after you get the fuel system back in order. Now is a good time to add one.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:42   #9

Boat: Stevens 47

Where did you get the bad fuel? Would be nice to know...

MarkJ is certainly one of the cruisers we hope to meet down that way next year, with all of his experience, a cruiser one would hope to talk with and learn, learn, learn.

Hope your issues are dealt with quickly and for the right price down that way!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 11:07   #10

Hi Ken,
Ya I've pretty much had it with ruined injectors and 2 overhauls on high pressure pumps. The diesel tank was replaced in Britain a couple of years ago and when I took off the inspection panel to pump out the fuel 75% of the 1/4" rubber gasket was rubber mud inside the fuel tank, plus a little water.
Thanks for the thoughts and Hi and hugs to Mrs. Kenomac.
Hi Gunky, I'm not absolutely sure where I got the bad fuel so I don't want to bad mouth anyone but I suspect it was in the Canaries.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 11:10   #11

Boat: Stevens 47

Fully understandable Robert, thanks for the reply! I am NOT looking forward to the day we run in to bad fuel....that really sucks!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 11:31   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Congrats on the crossing Robert. Glad to hear you're getting your issues solved. And good on ya Mark for being such an upstanding gentleman . Hope we bump into each other someday so you can save my bacon as well.
Old 18-12-2014, 12:32   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Real MarkJ Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hmmmmm...!!
No mention of beer drinking.. the guys slipping...

Gud on ya Mark..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 12:42   #14

Boat: Monk 36
Re: The Real MarkJ Exposed

MarkJ - care to do one more favor? I am stuck in Maine where it is currently raining cold, bone chilling weather. Would you come pick me up and bring me down so I could get out of this stuff? Or, just send air fare - I'll find my way. You'd have to stick around and run my shop for me, too.
Good on ya, Mark.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 13:59   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: The Real MarkJ Exposed

Quote:
And good on ya Mark for being such an upstanding gentleman
Isn't that an insult to an Ozzy?

Gud on ya Mark...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote