Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 19:19   #1

Boat: SAGA 27 AK
The REAL Cost of an Older Boat . . .

Just finding out once again (you'd think we would learn) the REAL cost of buying an older boat. New foam and re-upholstering is more than two thousand bucks, she needs a new main, genny, and chute, there's another three thousand or so. Then add dingy, outboard, liferaft, charts, electronics etc and then the QHSE pre-requisites for US waters cruising and you can look at almost $10k above the purchase price of the boat just to get her in offshore sailing trim, and that's with buying second-hand where I can. Next step is extensive cruising trim, but that's not for another 1006 days.

Why do we do it? I guess we just love boats.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 19:22   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: The REAL cost of an older boat...

there is a reason why a new 35 footer is almost 250K
Old 16-06-2011, 19:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
there is a reason why a new 35 footer is almost 250K
Thanks Jammin, good reality check, I feel better and better about my bargain boat.
Old 16-06-2011, 19:38   #4

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I've spent a wheelbarrow full of money on my Chrysler 22, but that is because I like things MY way and everyone elses work is rubbish.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 19:43   #5

Boat: Tartan 30

In today's market you can pick and choose you're older boats. Finding one with decent sails, cushions, dodger, etc.. was a high priority for me. Everyone likes to talk about rigging or rudders and solid decks, but those things can be fixed cheaply compared to those extra niceties that are eventually essential to comfort.

Good luck.
Old 16-06-2011, 19:46   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Just finding out once again (you'd think we would learn) the REAL cost of buying an older boat. New foam and re-upholstering is more than two thousand bucks, she needs a new main, genny, and chute, there's another three thousand or so. Then add dingy, outboard, liferaft, charts, electronics etc and then the QHSE pre-requisites for US waters cruising and you can look at almost $10k above the purchase price of the boat just to get her in offshore sailing trim, and that's with buying second-hand where I can. Next step is extensive cruising trim, but that's not for another 1006 days.

It depends on whether you are trying to put it in almost new condition or just the basics for cruising. You don't have to have $2,000 worth of new foam and upholstery or all new sails when used are available at places like Bacon's in Annapolis. Have you looked at the $500/month thread (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post709839)? Lots of money saving ideas there if you what to go cruising in an older boat.

Of course, you can spend a lot getting an older boat ready but not everyone does.
Old 16-06-2011, 19:50   #7

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Separate 'wants' from 'needs'. The only thing I see on your list that is necessary is the dinghy. Get a good one with oars.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 20:37   #8

For around 35k (US) total cost, you can have a fully rebuilt classic plastic in the 30/32' range that will (once complete) be basically brand new again, and vastly superior to many new offerings in the same loa that are 5 times the cost.

Catch is, you have to do the labor yourself.. but still.. well worth it imo.
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 23:14   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post

Old boats are either meant to be totally rebuilt or abandoned. It all comes down to the quality of the build.

The nice thing is you don't have to go in debt if one goes with an old boat (pay as you go), and you get to know the boat before it is ready to cruise.

It's just that one has to do the time!
Old 17-06-2011, 00:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
Separate 'wants' from 'needs'. The only thing I see on your list that is necessary is the dinghy. Get a good one with oars.
Mike, I hear you, and whilst I wouldn't go as basic as you suggest, I would have lived with the existing upholstery had the Admiral not decided she would sail with me in late July. It will be her first time sailing on the ocean and I want her to be impressed with the boat. As for the other stuff, the mainsail is a must, as is the dingy. She has an old mainsail on her right now, and it's from a Viking and a little small on both the luff and the foot. For a fairly long sail she needs a new sail (with a nice new proper logo on). About a Chartplotter/GPS, these are so cheap that it doesn't make sense not to have one. I, like most people, prefer to use paper charts, but a chartplotter by the wheel makes things so easy. I come and go about a liferaft, the old 'insurance is for pessimists' attitude kicks in - If I get one it will be second hand and re-certified. For the QHSE stuff that USCG insists on, there's no way around this, and the list makes sense anyway.
Old 17-06-2011, 03:36   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

The "trick" is to buy well. Let someone else pay for the stuff you need / want.

From that list I can't see anything that one could not expect to get (in reasonable / servicable condition) as part of the purchase price - or the cost fully factored into the price.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 03:44   #12

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I see two types of people in this crusing lifestyle

Those who have the brains to earn big bucks and b
uy everything and those who are dumb like me but know how to fix things up.

I make my money by what I can save and a penny saved is a penny earned.
Old 17-06-2011, 04:13   #13

Boat: Trident Warrior 35

There are always cheaper ways to do things.

When we first got out old 1977 Trident Warrior and found the upholstry hadn't been changed since then, despite not being a priority before hand it soon went up the list.

Try roping in friends and family and getting things done yourself, which is what we did.

There are lots of websites out there where you can get really decent breathable foam, cut to measure for very cheap. We used Foam cut to size, suppliers of foam upholstery & packaging, foam mattresses, memory foam cushions

As for the material - there are whole discussions on here as to what type to get. The fancy (which will not help your situation if you are trying to save) are not always necesary. We imported hard wearing sofa upholstry material from Germany for a fraction of the price that the caravan/sailing material sites sell it for.

Best advice.. shop around and think of all those lovely people you know who are happy to chip in and help you save on all of the 'service' charges

CrocBones Crew

The Adventures of Croc Bones
crazyhorse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 04:35   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I would think the purchase price would've reflected these things you feel the boat needs? Turnkey, and needing work are 2 different prices.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 04:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I see two types of people in this crusing lifestyle

Those who have the brains to earn big bucks and b
uy everything and those who are dumb like me but know how to fix things up.

I make my money by what I can save and a penny saved is a penny earned.
We are the third type of cruisers: poor and not very capable but willing to do without a lot of stuff. The old cushions do look a trifle tatty after 30 years, I guess. Ah, but the new sails . . .
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote