Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 04:42   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: The REAL cost of an older boat...

I bought a $55K boat that I have probably put $20K into getting up to scratch, doing all the work myself. The same boat new would cost me twice that much.

Is it worth it? If you're poor like me, hell yeah!
Old 17-06-2011, 05:05   #17

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I bought a $55K boat that I have probably put $20K into getting up to scratch, doing all the work myself. The same boat new would cost me twice that much.

Is it worth it? If you're poor like me, hell yeah!
I'm poor like you too, boat cost me 25k, I bought it for it's pedigree as a 36ft ocean going boat, and I guess I'll put about 10k into it to be able to retire on it. It was previously owned by an ex-NASA engineer, and mechanically & structurally she's excellent. Shame about the upholstery but I knew it needed some going into the deal, it's just that the cost surprised me. I shouldn't complain though, as you all say in one way or the other, even 36k is cheap for a boat you can trust to cross oceans. If I'm half as good as Sweet I'll be a happy guy.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 05:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
I'm poor like you too, boat cost me 25k, I bought it for it's pedigree as a 36ft ocean going boat, and I guess I'll put about 10k into it to be able to retire on it. It was previously owned by an ex-NASA engineer, and mechanically & structurally she's excellent. Shame about the upholstery but I knew it needed some going into the deal, it's just that the cost surprised me. I shouldn't complain though, as you all say in one way or the other, even 36k is cheap for a boat you can trust to cross oceans. If I'm half as good as Sweet I'll be a happy guy.
If you're in HK, try going to the ships chanderlies in Mong Kok (near Reclamation Rd.) and you can find a lot of boat stuff there much cheaper ... just gotta know what you're looking for. Likewise, you might be able to find some canvas shops to do the upholstery in Ap Lei Chau. Sails: HK Sailmakers are cheap and do decent work.
Old 17-06-2011, 05:46   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

This is one of the things nobody will never know.. the REAL cost of an older boat.. it's like trying to catch the horizon or the rainbow....

The Admiral wants to rename our boat : "money pit" so far I was able to resist...
Old 17-06-2011, 06:08   #20

Boat: contessa 32

Did I read this right? You think that new upholstery might make the admiral enjoy sailing in the ocean? HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
SORRY,That really is funny;if life were only that easy I'd open an upholstery shop.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:10   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Old boats are either meant to be totally rebuilt or abandoned. It all comes down to the quality of the build.

The nice thing is you don't have to go in debt if one goes with an old boat (pay as you go), and you get to know the boat before it is ready to cruise.

It's just that one has to do the time!
Yep. I think there's something to be said for "getting to know the boat". At least that's what I tell myself as I crawl into the lazarette to adjust the steering cable!
Old 17-06-2011, 06:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Just finding out once again (you'd think we would learn) the REAL cost of buying an older boat. New foam and re-upholstering is more than two thousand bucks, she needs a new main, genny, and chute, there's another three thousand or so. Then add dingy, outboard, liferaft, charts, electronics etc and then the QHSE pre-requisites for US waters cruising and you can look at almost $10k above the purchase price of the boat just to get her in offshore sailing trim, and that's with buying second-hand where I can. Next step is extensive cruising trim, but that's not for another 1006 days.

Why do we do it? I guess we just love boats.
Been there, done that twice.

Then again, finding a good solid hull and rebuilding a 40 footer is still cheaper than buying and fitting out a new 40 footer, AND you may end up with a better boat and one you know intimately.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:44   #23

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Did I read this right? You think that new upholstery might make the admiral enjoy sailing in the ocean? HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
SORRY,That really is funny;if life were only that easy I'd open an upholstery shop.
Did anyone ever tell you Mrohr , you can be a very hurtful person, probably right though...

I know her, and first impressions count with anyone, her included, so if it looks good it's a good start. Once she throws up over the new upholstery it may be different. The boat has a gentle motion in most conditions, so I should get the chance to break in the Admiral slowly, and she's as real adventurous little thing, you never know she may be a born sailor; I can live in hope.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:45   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Been there, done that twice.

Then again, finding a good solid hull and rebuilding a 40 footer is still cheaper than buying and fitting out a new 40 footer, AND you may end up with a better boat and one you know intimately.
exactly!!!!
how do cushions cost 2k?? were only 1k in sd, th emost exensive place on earth to own a boat..LOL..... i looked well at this before i bought her--- is easy to spend a lot of money--oops i meant a ton of it-- -but there are things not necessary to cruisingin comfort that some folks do to their boats tha ti was told were NECESSARY lol-- but are not so--- i will have put almost 20k usd into this 41 ft formosa by the time i get to panama.....including initial purchase.......and electronix upgrades...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:51   #25

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Sometimes an older boat is a good deal, depending on equipment included.

When we bought our boat, there was almost enough new equipment still in boxes to cover the price. Still need new seacocks and all plumbing, holding tank, clean fuel tank and dispose of old fuel.
Boat had new cabin sole and headliner installed.

Still in boxes new
2 solar panels
1 windgen
autopilot, Garmin 2010, windex, fathometer, new gauges, and the list goes on.
Had to buy new sails, but they won't go up until the old ones are shot. Still has the original sails from 1976 and are in good shape. Boat was never used, original 4108 had 92 hours on it.
UD sat on the hard for 19 yrs +/- due to owners death...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:06   #26

the simrad hdl2000 was in and of itself worth more than the purchase price of this boat, installed..LOL... and i also have radar, garmin gps, depth, and gooood engine i added after-- came with blown to bits 4-107, i installed a 4-108...LOL....cushions had jus tbeen replaced prior to previous owner purchase---LOL.... just adding stuff i like as i go.. not pricey!!!
Old 17-06-2011, 07:07   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Happy to make you laugh... BUT where did u see that I was talking about upholstery.
I was talking cost of an older boat, didn't u see the title of the thread?
And anyway you took the remarks upside down.. I said the Admiral was unhappy with the expenses on the "old " boat, didn't I....
Old 17-06-2011, 07:24   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Happy to make you laugh... BUT where did u see that I was talking about upholstery.
I was talking cost of an older boat, didn't u see the title of the thread?
And anyway you took the remarks upside down.. I said the Admiral was unhappy with the expenses on the "old " boat, didn't I....
I think he was referring to the pillums (the OP) posts not yours.
Old 17-06-2011, 07:25   #29

The "real" cost. I had done a lot of reading before we bought our old boat. My base estimate to get an old boat into "working" condition was to multiply the price by 1.5 to get the refit cost (fitting out for offshore cruising). As we continue our project list that seems about right. I'm sure some could do better and some worse but I always estimate conservatively. I would also have a lower estimate if you're doing coastal or inland cruising.
Old 17-06-2011, 07:27   #30

prices of upgrading older boats is totally subjective, and is dependent on your ability to find GOOD cheap work to be done, and GOOD used stuff to buy for it.. i dont pay retail, and i manage to find places and individuals, so far, who have best interests in keeping my repair prices to a minimum... is inexpensive and good--i return. if not--i find another soul for doing same work with less overhead....should be able to find cushions for a lot less than 2k..LOL. is only a 37 ft boat.