Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 14:29   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
The Political World of the Marinas

So I've been at this marina now for 13 days, which destroys my all time marina stay record of 8 days. One of the things I've become aware of is just how much political danger there is in marinas when talking to people. Such as (some I just observed)

There's the marina employees:
1 - Beware any comments that may be taken as complaining.
2- Don't make suggestions, if they don't have or do it they don't want to and will have a "reason" ready
3 - Don't say ANYTHING that could be twisted into meaning you may have done something "questionable"
4 - Beware saying something that might require effort by them

Other Boaters
1 - Don't talk politics as you are guaranteed that someone in the group will get pissed out
2 - don't talk batteries, it will be just like on CF
3 - don't talk AIS, anchors, well just don't talk about boat equipment stuff half the people will be believers and half won't and it it will be just like here
4 - No matter what the problem is you DON'T know how to fix it, just know it at the start and shut up
5 - Don't discuss the marina, there will be someone in the group that has their lips firmly planted on their behind
6 - Yes the USA sucks, you don't have to stay.
7 - Yes people will offer to help you, don't assume there wasn't alcohol involved and that they met it
8 - There's "clicks" in the groups just like in High School, don't try to cross between the groups because they already saw to talk to the other group

there's more, but ...................

OTOH - it most likely me that is the problem, I forget the people rules sometimes.
Old 01-08-2017, 15:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The Political World of the Marinas

It's just Society, a little slice of it anyway.
Man you want to talk about clicks etc. I'm staying in I guess you would call it a Retirement village, it's a bunch of tiny lots with swimming pools, club houses etc. and on these tiny lots there is anything from old ancient trailers, but painted nice and well kept to Motorhomes and nice stick built houses, although most seem to be some kind of manufactured home, nicer than the average trailer, but they came in on wheels obviously.

Anyway most are way old and from Boston, New Jersey, Brooklyn, etc. and none of them have anything to do, but get into each other's business and watch to see what the other guy is up to, and is he or she breaking any of the associations rules.
I think at least half are back home up North, so can only imagine what it's like at 100% occupancy.
Anyway being from the South we wave at people, usually just get a glare back though, as guess you don't wave in New Jersey?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 15:23   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Good observations, SB.
We learned many years ago in our first visit to the old Coconut Grove Marina/Boatyard to keep quiet, get your work done and GTF out(Get the F--k out!)! Sadly, the Myth of the "Intelligent Cruiser" is just that . . . A MYTH. I've never met so many pathetic, whiny, phony, backstabbing, girly men miscreants in my life. This was our first real epiphany when we started cruising. I guess not much has changed in the last 30 years. Welcome to Reality 101. Captain Rognvald . . . moving farther away from "humanity???"
Old 01-08-2017, 15:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

What's the difference between a Marina an internet chat room?

Nada
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 15:52   #5
S/V rubber ducky

I have a couple more

- just as it is foolish to be Facebook friends with coworkers and your boss, it is foolish to join the marina Facebook page while you at the marina and post to it
- it is just st as foolish above it is foolishness she to do the same for a lot cal cruisers net Facebook
- it is foolish to post a marina review on ActiveCaptain while still at the marina and if it has negatives be planning on returning some day
Old 01-08-2017, 15:53   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What's the difference between a Marina an internet chat room?

Nada
It's how close the people physically are to you, so the answer is - HUGE!
Old 01-08-2017, 15:54   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So I've been at this marina now for 13 days, which destroys my all time marina stay record of 8 days. One of the things I've become aware of is just how much political danger there is in marinas when talking to people. Such as (some I just observed)

There's the marina employees:
1 - Beware any comments that may be taken as complaining.
2- Don't make suggestions, if they don't have or do it they don't want to and will have a "reason" ready
3 - Don't say ANYTHING that could be twisted into meaning you may have done something "questionable"
4 - Beware saying something that might require effort by them

Other Boaters
1 - Don't talk politics as you are guaranteed that someone in the group will get pissed out
2 - don't talk batteries, it will be just like on CF
3 - don't talk AIS, anchors, well just don't talk about boat equipment stuff half the people will be believers and half won't and it it will be just like here
4 - No matter what the problem is you DON'T know how to fix it, just know it at the start and shut up
5 - Don't discuss the marina, there will be someone in the group that has their lips firmly planted on their behind
6 - Yes the USA sucks, you don't have to stay.
7 - Yes people will offer to help you, don't assume there wasn't alcohol involved and that they met it
8 - There's "clicks" in the groups just like in High School, don't try to cross between the groups because they already saw to talk to the other group

there's more, but ...................

OTOH - it most likely me that is the problem, I forget the people rules sometimes.
An old man was sitting by the road at the top of a hill when a young man approached and asked what type of town was in view just down the road. The old man replied what type of town do you think it is. The young man said it looks like an unfriendly town I would not enjoy staying in. The old man replied that is just the type of town it is.

As the first young man headed towards the town a second young man approached the old man and asked about the near by town. The old man replied what type of town do you think it is. The second young man replied it looks like a friendly town I would enjoy visiting. The old man replied that is just the type of town it is.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 15:54   #8

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

The clicks, the politics,the gossiping and all get far worse in live aboard marinas. Don't even think of taking the Alpha female's parking space!
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
An old man was sitting by the road at the top of a hill when a young man approached and asked what type of town was in view just down the road. The old man replied what type of town do you think it is. The young man said it looks like an unfriendly town I would not enjoy staying in. The old man replied that is just the type of town it is.

As the first young man headed towards the town a second young man approached the old man and asked about the near by town. The old man replied what type of town do you think it is. The second young man replied it looks like a friendly town I would enjoy visiting. The old man replied that is just the type of town it is.
Just give me a minute, Tom . . . I'm, looking for a Red Beret and the words to this song: https://youtu.be/-pr43ScAi18 Captain Rognvald
Old 01-08-2017, 16:06   #10

Boat: wanting a cat

It's about what attitude and bias you bring to the party, but good points just the same...

I've been known to open my mouth just to switch feet.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:19   #11

We're in a "yacht club", but the low BS, self-help, nuthin fancy sort of club, and it's been pretty good. We have a few liveaboards, even some nutty enough to endure the Toronto winter aboard.

There's politics here too, but to me it seems the member to member interactions are pretty friendly. For the most part, it's "we", and not us vs them, or members vs staff, etc.

We find it pretty enjoyable, and I don't think we'd be as happy in a marina. Especially after this thread.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:26   #12

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

In any group the way to appear wise is to think of something stupid to say...and then don't say it. I usually remember that a second too late.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:30   #13

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It's just Society, a little slice of it anyway.
Man you want to talk about clicks etc. I'm staying in I guess you would call it a Retirement village, it's a bunch of tiny lots with swimming pools, club houses etc. and on these tiny lots there is anything from old ancient trailers, but painted nice and well kept to Motorhomes and nice stick built houses, although most seem to be some kind of manufactured home, nicer than the average trailer, but they came in on wheels obviously.

Anyway most are way old and from Boston, New Jersey, Brooklyn, etc. and none of them have anything to do, but get into each other's business and watch to see what the other guy is up to, and is he or she breaking any of the associations rules.
I think at least half are back home up North, so can only imagine what it's like at 100% occupancy.
Anyway being from the South we wave at people, usually just get a glare back though, as guess you don't wave in New Jersey?

Jersey people wave, they just use the middle finger instead of the whole hand......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:33   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

Quite true.

Every time I read someone complaining about other people, I can't help wonder how self-inflicted his problem is. Life, education, work, success, marinas, etc... are what you make it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Quite true.

Every time I read someone complaining about other people, I can't help wonder how self-inflicted his problem is. Life, education, work, success, marinas, etc... are what you make it.

So, if I follow your logic, you cannot have a successful life, a good education, a successful business/job or overall success in life unless you ARE NOT critical of other people???? "Self-inflicted" problems have a direct connection to intelligence. Without a brain, everything is acceptable and similar to the amoeba, the most you will be capable of doing is to move in one direction or another in a stimulus response. And, of course, we will conveniently ignore the last 2,500 years of Literature, History and Philosophy that deals with Man's relationship to the world and his dissatisfaction with the status quo. The History of Mankind is the quest of dissatisfied human beings looking for the greener grass on the other side of the fence. If we left the world to those who are so easily satisfied, we would still be living in the Stone Age as meager hunter-gatherers seeking a sustenance existence in an uncertain world. You are what you make it? Only if you are incapable of ignoring reality. The great people in Life are never meek. Meek people in life are never great. Just ask Darwin. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
cal, marinas