Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:01   #91
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the Cold:Prepping Boat for Final Escape
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,315
Images: 2
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

"If one is unhappy in life, then there's only one cure and that requires them to make a change. Not going to change others. " BandB

Exactly, but avoiding the Herd is a very difficult thing to do. . . especially if you're in your "working years." However, cruising in remote areas still provides that opportunity. But, these areas are becoming more difficult to find and most cruisers with this knowledge are unwilling to share that information with you for fear of negative change. Years ago, I had a unique spot fairly close to civilization with outstanding diving, fishing and very protected. We met some nice people, new to cruising, in a subsequent anchorage who needed help with their disabled boat. After I fixed their boat, they invited us to dinner and I mentioned the location of this spot and showed it to them on their chart. When we returned over two months later, two boats were anchored in the spot where we never encountered another boat for several years. Lessons learned. Good luck and safe sailing . . . P.S. Did I tell you about a nice quiet anchorage in Georgetown, Exumas?????
__________________

__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02   #92
Registered User
 
Captain Mark's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Posts: 89
Images: 1
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Went sailing because I hated Home Owners Associations! I have to say I have been pretty lucky with Marina choices, but there are some that when I arrive, I just act like I'm at a cheap hotel... I don't ask for clean towels, I don't eat the free bar snacks and we enjoy sundowners alone or with likeminded folks if we meet them. I have to admit, most times I would rather swing from the hook, but after awhile that look in the wife's eye makes me fear the plank or swinging from the mast
__________________

__________________
"Attitude: The difference between a problem and an adventure!"
Captain Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,422
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"If one is unhappy in life, then there's only one cure and that requires them to make a change. Not going to change others. " BandB

Exactly, but avoiding the Herd is a very difficult thing to do. . . especially if you're in your "working years." However, cruising in remote areas still provides that opportunity. But, these areas are becoming more difficult to find and most cruisers with this knowledge are unwilling to share that information with you for fear of negative change. Years ago, I had a unique spot fairly close to civilization with outstanding diving, fishing and very protected. We met some nice people, new to cruising, in a subsequent anchorage who needed help with their disabled boat. After I fixed their boat, they invited us to dinner and I mentioned the location of this spot and showed it to them on their chart. When we returned over two months later, two boats were anchored in the spot where we never encountered another boat for several years. Lessons learned. Good luck and safe sailing . . . P.S. Did I tell you about a nice quiet anchorage in Georgetown, Exumas?????
Wifey B: Can't avoid the herd, but can control how it affects you. Do you scream and yell and curse at yourself over giving the spot away or smile thinking of what a gift you gave them and how they're enjoying it and you'll find another place like it was? The situation is the same but how one responds to it very different and those are the type things that impact our happiness.

Once long ago my life was in great danger, not a health situation either. However, I know many people who have faced serious health challenges, life threatening. Some are angry at what life dealt them, but others emerge very different persons because their perspective has changed.

I don't think you let them being in your place bother you. I suspect you even laughed, called yourself a fool for telling them, but life went on and you're happy. Now, we go to great lengths to avoid those who are determined to bring others down. We don't associate with those filled with hate and anger. We might suggest treatment but if they want to live that way, then we're not going to do it with them. We have strong beliefs and concerns but don't let them consume us. Then there are those happy places and people who make them special. I have them. I'm happy. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be so happy, but nothing is going to ever stop me now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 13:15   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: the Med
Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Posts: 1,151
Images: 3
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Marina?? Why?????

This is for resident boats.

Navigators rest at bay, or reach a commercial quai (pier), or a fisherman.
CF member "LEPKE" docet !


I reach marinas only if in need (water, emergency) and the sooner I leave, the better.

I hardly found any interesting character in there. If any, any shipyard offers some advantages in meeting informed people, not marinas
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 13:32   #95
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 21,885
Images: 2
pirate Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Marina?? Why?????

This is for resident boats.

Navigators rest at bay, or reach a commercial quai (pier), or a fisherman.
CF member "LEPKE" docet !


I reach marinas only if in need (water, emergency) and the sooner I leave, the better.

I hardly found any interesting character in there. If any, any shipyard offers some advantages in meeting informed people, not marinas
They're Americans.. they don't have our privileges..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 14:23   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,422
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Wifey B: We don't go to a marina to make friends, to socialize, to discuss politics and religion, to get drunk or any of those things. We go to have access to land for sight seeing, to hook up to electricity (and sometimes water), to pump out if it's in a no discharge zone, and, for lack of a better term, to park out boat for a bit. If more happens or is available than what we require, that's great, but, if not, no big deal either.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 16:23   #97
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 7,229
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We don't go to a marina to make friends, to socialize, to discuss politics and religion, to get drunk or any of those things. We go to have access to land for sight seeing, to hook up to electricity (and sometimes water), to pump out if it's in a no discharge zone, and, for lack of a better term, to park out boat for a bit. If more happens or is available than what we require, that's great, but, if not, no big deal either.

+1

Most sensible thing I've read in this thread.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 16:34   #98
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,594
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

While agree about the marina staff points... I guessing you just haven't found your marina. Not all marinas are land mines of social issues. It helps to find "your marina"... they are out there.

For us, we stay for necessity, not for the social aspect. It's damn expensive but we haven't had very many negative experiences.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 17:49   #99
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,874
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

I'm sorry! I think this thread has turned meaner and much more angry that I intended. When I was in the Navy we used to say:

"A bitching sailor is a happy sailor!"
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 18:41   #100
Registered User
 
Gadagirl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 668
Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Every one seems to have got their panties in a bunch about Sailor boys post. Even those that profess to not get their panties in a bunch about such matter! I've been entertained. All weighing in about the misery of land dwellers or criticizing his general outlook on life. Or spewing about how being open minded and positive has reaped you the same and he'd be well to behave as you. Or commiserating with his current lot in life. If only!!!, some of us secretly wish.

I'll say this. I perceived his post as an observation from his perspective and as a light hearted jab at the communities emotional side. I don't see him as not enjoying his time. I see him as a people watcher. A happy cruiser, telling it like it is. Same as he honestly, un-apologetically, shares his monthly expenditures. He reported his observations. It's been enlightening and that's it.

Hell yes! If you haven't spent too much time in a marina and then find yourself there for an extended time? People watch? Culture shock a little perhaps? He's making the best of it by humorously (i believe) sharing some truths about human interaction and normal sociology.

He might have learned that extended stays in a marina is not his cup of tea. However he seems to be going along to get along. Reporting real life emotion to HIS personal experiences. Because he reports honestly I respect his posts. YMMV


SailorBoy? In my working life i find that men gossip more than women, what are your observations on the water?
__________________
Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. - Eckhart Tolle
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 20:48   #101
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,518
Images: 2
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Plenty of negative comments about marinas here. I've been cruising for 5 years, from Texas to Georgia, and the Bahamas. I avoid marinas too, most of the time. Hurricane season, especially here on the east coast is a crap shoot unless you have local knowledge about where to hide. A nice marina with a great track record is hard to beat. Not only a safe place to hang out, but have unlimited electricity to run A/C and free water. A place to deposit trash and recycle. Add in that it's relatively easy to access nice restaurants, a nice hardware store, and a short bike ride (or UBER) to a big grocery store. Clean restrooms and showers. A huge lending library. Free beer. Happy hour three days a week. Neighbors that have sailed from all points of the globe.

For me, it's a safe place to spend hurricane season. I don't have local knowledge as to safe places on this coast to survive a major storm. That's what brought me here, and that's why I'm here now.

Last year was challenging with 3 or 4 TS's and a major hurricane. Hermine was the worst, coming from the Gulf and giving us 65 mph winds from the south. We had damage to one 84' motor cat on dock one, because there was no other place to put it. The rest of the marina was fine. Dock 1 and 2 took the hit, and no other damage. Those docks have been repaired....and even beefed up.

Matthew was a cat 3 as it passed, but no damage here. I was here, giving updates to the boss during the night on FB....being passed on to owners of boats here. I left power on as long as possible, until the storm surge forced me to wade into thigh deep water to turn off power to each dock. The rest of the entire marina team and I secured the
top of each dock....chairs, BBQ grills, tables, etc. Cleared or secured Kayaks and furniture from decks of boats, and added dock lines of unprepared boats.


Despite 90 mph winds, there were no damages to the boats here. Go find your mangrove and pray for survival!

So, my question is this....If a marina is rated 5 stars on Active Captain, noted as a hurricane hole, and the marina has floating docks in good condition, clean facilities, a great cruiser's lounge, a helpful staff, free beer, wifi, and laundry....what would it take to downgrade it to a 4 star? Just curious from the other side of the fence.....the marina side.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:22   #102
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,874
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
So, my question is this....If a marina is rated 5 stars on Active Captain, noted as a hurricane hole, and the marina has floating docks in good condition, clean facilities, a great cruiser's lounge, a helpful staff, free beer, wifi, and laundry....what would it take to downgrade it to a 4 star? Just curious from the other side of the fence.....the marina side.

Ralph


In the 5 star rating system I rarely give out a 5 star. That would be truly an outstanding place and would be beyond things the marina could even control. Except for the free beer and laundry what you describe above is what I expect from all marinas as the standard. To get a 5 star from me not only would the marina need to have all the standard amenities in good condition but it would need things like great access to stores, supplies, entertainment, restaurants.


A great marina to me is a 4 star marina which means it is nicer than most at a good price.
A 3 star marina is an average marina which means it has docks and facilities in good clean condition and is a average value.
A 2 star marina is a 3 star that is lacking in an item or is overpriced for what it is.
A 1 star marina is a dump that should be avoided!

So a 3 star marina is a good marina that is meeting expectations. It's a sad thing that people reviewing ratings that in the world "meeting expectations" has become you aren't doing something right.

BTW - the reason that a 5 star rating on a voluntary survey is meaningless is that for the most part people only respond if they were very happy or very unhappy. Not many people respond that felt that the service etc was "average". So the responses tend to be 1-2 star or 4-5 star.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:27   #103
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,874
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
SailorBoy? In my working life i find that men gossip more than women, what are your observations on the water?
You got it, thanks!

Far as the question above I've only directly worked in an office type environment once with a women. That was about 15 years ago and my back is still trying to heal from the knife wounds.

But my wife has been a Human Resource person long time and I have heard lots of "how was your day" stories. Based on that I would say, and my wife would agree, that nothing is more bitchy than a bunch of women working together.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:06   #104
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,422
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Wifey B: I think certain environments lead to more gossip than others, not necessarily sex based. Locker rooms, bars, fishing, men go with non-stop gossip and boasting. Men don't so much on the job generally but do if it's an outdoor job and all men. Now, women do in the beauty salon and teachers do, whether male or female, just groups thrown together and sharing a lounge. Doctor's and nurses lounges in hospitals. I'd say alcohol always ramps up the level of gossip.

Then I think it varies by person too. Some people are just not gossipy at all and others do anytime, anyplace.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:36   #105
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,422
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In the 5 star rating system I rarely give out a 5 star. That would be truly an outstanding place and would be beyond things the marina could even control. Except for the free beer and laundry what you describe above is what I expect from all marinas as the standard. To get a 5 star from me not only would the marina need to have all the standard amenities in good condition but it would need things like great access to stores, supplies, entertainment, restaurants.


A great marina to me is a 4 star marina which means it is nicer than most at a good price.
A 3 star marina is an average marina which means it has docks and facilities in good clean condition and is a average value.
A 2 star marina is a 3 star that is lacking in an item or is overpriced for what it is.
A 1 star marina is a dump that should be avoided!

So a 3 star marina is a good marina that is meeting expectations. It's a sad thing that people reviewing ratings that in the world "meeting expectations" has become you aren't doing something right.

BTW - the reason that a 5 star rating on a voluntary survey is meaningless is that for the most part people only respond if they were very happy or very unhappy. Not many people respond that felt that the service etc was "average". So the responses tend to be 1-2 star or 4-5 star.
Wifey B: I'm not a star gazer as much as what's in the detail. For instance, you say for a 4 a good price. Now, I see price and quality as two totally separate issues and never impact a marina, restaurant or hotel rating based on price. Price to me is a given. It is xxx price, it is high or low. So for me the rating is strictly quality but I know others see different. I don't see for instance going to Ruth's Chris and downrating it because it's expensive. Duh.

I look at detail that applies to me. I want to know first and foremost the quality of the docks. If my boat is going to get damaged, I don't care what else they have, it's not for me. Then the electricity, water, pump out, security and service. Many of you look for laundry, showers and restrooms. I don't care about them except as they reflect overall cleanliness, but I don't use them.

Access to stores, supplies, entertainment, restaurants I sort of put with price. It is what it is. I do look for access to transportation though, even if just rental cars.

Ultimately it's all subjective in how to rate and I think that's why it works. We don't have a set of rules as to how, it's just what each person feels. If a business has 100 reviews and is 4 star or above, I figure it must be doing some things well. If they have 10 reviews and are 1 or 2 star, I figure they're f'ed up.

I've found on restaurants, 4 and up is good. We use ratings in deciding. Every place is going to get some negatives but we read what they say. Marinas I find the same that 4 and up are good, but I find a lot of times 3 is good as well, depending why only 3. One other thing. I look at trends and time of ratings. If they had a change of management three months ago and all their ratings have completely changed, from good to bad or bad to good, then I tend to ignore everything before that. I've seen several with bad docks but in the past year they built all new docks.

I was just looking at AC on marina in direction we're headed. It's one of their sponsor's so don't accuse them of protecting sponsors with five stars. Starting in October of last year the ratings have been 1,1,1,3,2. Complaints have been not honoring reservations, lousy fuel pumps, lousy heads, showers, laundry, wake and waves, and not answering channel 16. Prior to that 3,2,3,4,4,3,3. My conclusion. Place is going to h in a handbucket. No thanks.

On the other hand one marina in the area is 4 star and reviews are all 4 or 5 except one person in 2015 gave them a 1, said the new owner was snooty toward live aboard sailboaters and the mudslips had doubled in price and to stay away until she goes bankrupt. I dismiss that one as personal.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cal, marinas

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.