Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 04:06   #91

Boat: Able 50
Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

It blows. Therefore I am.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 04:24   #92

Re: Sailing Simply and Cheaply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
Deckofficer's interchange with daddle about shower's reminded me of another way to simplify cruising that actually relates to the OP: Even though we have hot and cold water at the swim ladder, I catch rain water in tubs and save it for rinsing snorkel gear and showering on the back step. I use an old 16 oz plastic cup to splash water on and to rinse off. Solar heat on the bucket obviates the complication of a Solar Shower bag.

Bottom line: Every cruiser makes his or her own choice within his or her financial ability about what conveniences of home they want to take aboard. No one cruiser's choice is better than the next - just different.
DY

You got me thinking. I think it also comes down to how you are living. I too have hot and cold pressurized water on board and a separate shower area. But, it's been years since I've actully taken a shower below. Like you a solar heated bucket on deck has provided all the hot water I need these days for a shower. Plus I find it easier to do so. But, when I was working in New York City and living on board I'd use the on board shower area everyday. Doing that meant I had to make sure I had propane($) to heat the water I also had more maintenace cleaning the shower area, pump screens etc... The difference is then most of my time then was spent working and these days most of my time is spent not working. That change in lifestyle has done a number of things automatically. It has simplfied things and saved me money and time since I do not need to get propane refills as often and don't have to clean and maintain the shower area as often either. Plus after rinsing off in the cockpit a quick wipe with a deck sponge helps keep the cockpit clean. Sometimes simplicty happens without even thinking about it.
Old 31-03-2012, 06:27   #93

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
John,

Me thinks me bag is pretty simple (and cheap). Even if you have a "real" shower down below, it is hard to pass up on the freedom of an outdoor shower.

Does this look to have "complication of a Solar Shower bag"?
Bob,

My apologies for having left one relevant thought out of my discussion of simple showers. My mind was a little foggy when I finally submitted the post.

The simplification I neglected to include explicitly in my discussion was not using the installed pressurized hot and cold shower with its attendant need for making and heating water, wear on the water pump, electricity to run the pump, etc.

A solar shower is by its nature very simple. However, using the cup rinse method is simpler than filling the solar shower, laying it out to heat, hanging it securely over the shower area, and drying it thoroughly for storage. (Definitely splitting hairs here.)
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:42   #94
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Existential dreamers - I have $20k and I am sure I can buy a 40 foot boat and cruise around the world. It will all work out. I can live aboard in a marina while my magical refit takes care of itself. It must be so because I love dolphins...

Practical realists - I reckon one more year of refitting on top of the 5 I have done will make the boat perfect, unsinkable and risk free. Just gotta pull the newly overhauled donk and convert to electric propulsion because that's the latest technofad

Responsible adults - as soon as I am done taking care of - mom, dad, grandma, kids, spouse, addicted sibling

Cyber sailor - I am never going, I know that but I will spend my time on the internet pretending I did, will do or am doing so
You missed out Armchair Sailors - I'm offended by that .

Armchair Sailors - Might never have left small town, No-where-ville and be making things up as goes along or could often have been there and done that - including around the world, just not always involving a boat.

Armchair Sailors can be tricky buggers to pigeon hole .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 19:12   #95
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
So, there is no state of mind that exist out on the water that is different from being on land?
I have a confession to make…. I am sexually attracted to my boat!

Sorry, time I came out of the sail bag, unfurled my bias towards a girl who both teases and inspires me to contemplate different positions, different sex toys….. and most importantly…. doing it in different places!

This relationship is not simple, probably not very healthy…. but I confess to spending many of those long lonely night watch hours, fantasizing about small changes in our relationship.
I love to tinker with the way she performs and pleases me.

Yes, she is my mistress and I even wrote a song about her, the chorus which goes:
Seas are getting stormy, I’m a getting horny
…the only tail I need babe, is not from a wench but a winch
…this is sailing my friend,…ain’t it the livin end….!

My partner understands and allows me to have this mistress. She is even up for threesomes, when stroked the right way.

I guess my Philosophy is a bit twisted, but it does get me thru the night!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 22:56   #96

Boat: NA, Looking for a 36-47 ketch.

Heh, I want to build the boat simple (by My definition) and beef it up like a battleship and hope it don't end up with the characteristics of a submarine... I Don't need a floating condo I just want something that's got a watermaker with a back up. It don't got to be high output just reliable. want the backup because I don't like populated area's much and I'd rather save and have a backup with filters, and I'm not gonna drink the rain water here as I'd still have to filter or distill it and that will just add another layer to the stuff to do. Better way to put it priorities important to me in order. [ 1. boat stays floating ][ 2. got water ][ 3. got power ][ 4. Got music ][ 5. got fishing gear ][6. Got ability to move under wind power first motor second ] In that order for the reason, If I ain't floating the rest don't matter, I've had enough times in my life where I've gone eating long enough without eating but 2-3 days w/o water don't go over with many that well, I'd rather be stuck in BFE tossing / handling lines while fishing with music going than headed somewhere hungry with out music. Always good to have either a sense of humor or music, better still to have both. Hard to get my idea's across when I'm tired.
I want a self sufficient fishing platform with a mizzen mast to use for fishing purposes with a Hammock of the non-banana type!
sycpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 23:13   #97

Boat: too many

travler37, its cool. I get wordy on herb.

@Pelagic, what tune do I sing these lyrics.....

Yes, she is my mistress and I even wrote a song about her, the chorus which goes:
"Seas are getting stormy, I’m a getting horny
…the only tail I need babe, is not from a wench but a winch
…this is sailing my friend,…ain’t it the livin end….!"
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47   #98

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Sailing is a bit like camping out on a hike or long distance horseback trip--take what you need and leave the rest behind.
I prefer to think that sailing is a bit like camping, but without the dirt tracked into the tent.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06   #99

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Substitute seagull ****, shells, sanding dust, etc.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:00   #100
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post

@Pelagic, what tune do I sing these lyrics.....
Calypso beat… any melody that fits with the rest of the song...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:49   #101

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our cruising plans quite intentionally have a certain philosophical approach; CLAFC: Creativity, Learning, Adventure, Freedom & Cessation. Each of these terms expresses a world of ideas that are important for how me and my partner choose to live. We live with these ideas whether we are off wilderness sailing, or living on land.

Creativity is a life-giving view of the world. For me it means seeking new ways of doing things, and simply enjoying the aesthetic of the here and now.

Learning ... never stop learning. Living off the prescribed path is a great way to foster this.

Adventure comes in all forms, be it the big sail, or the small walk. I will never shatter records, discover new things, or challenge the gods of nature in any way, but I do enjoy poking into that unknown cove, or trying that weird looking vegetable.

Freedom drives much of what we do. To me freedom is the ability to do what I want, when I want. It's an ideal which is never full reached, but I can do some things to go toward the Form of Freedom. For me (and not necessarily for anyone else):
  • I avoid debt (b/c this is one of the ways our society keeps people chained to the treadmill).
  • Keep mechanical & electrical systems simple (b/c I'm not much of handyman).
  • And live inexpensively, (b/c I'm kinda lazy and don't like wage work).

Cessation is my active way of ceasing to be part of the problem. From over-consumption to financial greed, my society does great harm to the planet we all call home. I don't have the energy to try and save the world, but I can stop being part of the problem (at least to some degree).
Old 02-04-2012, 10:55   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Our cruising plans quite intentionally have a certain philosophical approach; CLAFC: Creativity, Learning, Adventure, Freedom & Cessation. Each of these terms expresses a world of ideas that are important for how me and my partner choose to live. We live with these ideas whether we are off wilderness sailing, or living on land.

Creativity is a life-giving view of the world. For me it means seeking new ways of doing things, and simply enjoying the aesthetic of the here and now.

Learning ... never stop learning. Living off the prescribed path is a great way to foster this.

Adventure comes in all forms, be it the big sail, or the small walk. I will never shatter records, discover new things, or challenge the gods of nature in any way, but I do enjoy poking into that unknown cove, or trying that weird looking vegetable.

Freedom drives much of what we do. To me freedom is the ability to do what I want, when I want. It's an ideal which is never full reached, but I can do some things to go toward the Form of Freedom. For me (and not necessarily for anyone else):
  • I avoid debt (b/c this is one of the ways our society keeps people chained to the treadmill).
  • Keep mechanical & electrical systems simple (b/c I'm not much of handyman).
  • And live inexpensively, (b/c I'm kinda lazy and don't like wage work).

Cessation is my active way of ceasing to be part of the problem. From over-consumption to financial greed, my society does great harm to the planet we all call home. I don't have the energy to try and save the world, but I can stop being part of the problem (at least to some degree).
Mike, you must be my brother from another mother. Debt, an unknown concept to me. Frugal, last gig I had for 10 years I lived like my income was 1/10 of actual earnings.
Old 02-04-2012, 14:52   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

And I am really beginning to like both of you. There must be a therapy group around here for us. Perhaps 'Freedom Anon' or some similar name. Kinda the polite version of SA.
And for those that believe freedom does'nt exist...just don't mind me over here on the far side of the bay. I will be the one laughing a bit too loud.
:-)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:01   #104

Well Dr newt, feelings are mutual from the very first post I read of yours here on CF.
Old 02-04-2012, 18:07   #105

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ah geez, I'm starting to feel all warm and fuzzy too . Thanks Bob/Newt.

Tags
sailing