Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59   #136

Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

I've been scolded by PM for the "trolling" character of my recent posts here.

To all who think me a troll, I do apologize. I have not intended to offend.

As I said in a reply to the member who sent me the PM, "I've understood the function of the thread to be stimulation of a constructive dialog of ideas. ... Contrasting views and competing ideas are the stuff of constructive dialog and the engine of thought."

I regret that my posts have not been perceived in that fashion. To the extent that any hasty, ill-considered form of expression has engendered offense, I again apologize.

For all those who have responded in more welcoming fashion to my posts, thanks to you all.

You may now resume the thread.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49   #137
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

[QUOTE=Mike OReilly;922988]Agreed, there is a lot of 6-beer-talk going on here . But isn't that the joy of a life examined? .[/QUOTE

I agree with you mike. If you can't look at your life and see some logic and morality to it why live it that way?
To put it our terms, I cannot be a piece of driftwood driven by the winds of society. I have to be sailed were I think is best. Sometimes I'm in sinc with those around, but most times I am not. Makes for a lot of lonely anchorages, but it is the only way to go.
I guess the big benifit is that after awhile my crew realises that they really are in control, and that the're peer group is not. That realization is worth the price of boat alone.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46   #138

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
... Sometimes I'm in sinc with those around, but most times I am not. Makes for a lot of lonely anchorages, but it is the only way to go.
Interesting comment Newt. For me (and luckily for my partner as well), we love being alone in remote wilderness anchorages. In our cruising grounds up here on the north shore of Lake Superior, we can go for many days or even weeks without seeing another person. It's wonderful. You should come up.

I've thought about this sense of being out of sync. In some ways I've always been this way, but it seems to be getting stronger with age. It's definitely one of the reasons I'm drawn to living circumstances which allow me more independence and also more personal responsibility.

Don't get me wrong though. I love spending quality time with like-minded people. I also enjoy the challenge of engaging discourse with those I disagree with. But mostly, I like to do this in small numbers, and with plenty of time. I hate being in a rush.

So sailing for me is most definitely an expression of personal philosophy.

... geeze, this really is sounding like beer talk. I better stop ... or start drinking .
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52   #139

Boat: Westsail 32

Philosophy of Sailing: Don't go to work, go sailing
Old 04-04-2012, 13:17   #140

Boat: too many

Mike,

The more posts of yours I read, the more I think we are cut from the same jib. I also prefer remote anchorages over the popular ones with teaming night life on shore, audible from the anchorage. If I want to be social for the short term, there is HAM and if not too remote, VHF. If I meet folks by these means that I feel after awhile, a good connection, then a invite for dinner and drinks are in order. At this point if you or Dr newt were within VHF range, the invite would be put out.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:14   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bob, that is a good use of a tool I already have on board. Like probably most of you, I love using a tool for more than one purpose.
I have used the VHF for:
1. Weather
2. Call ahead to customs
3. Call ahead for a slip
4. See if a vessel that you are next too has crazy intentions.
5. Occasionally call the coast guard to tell about a deadhead or other hazard.
So how do you chat up new friends??
Old 04-04-2012, 16:16   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In fact that very concept, of making a tool useful in more ways than one could be very helpful in helping me cut down on the crap I bring. If you have anything else along that line-
Old 04-04-2012, 16:51   #143

Quote:
Bob, that is a good use of a tool I already have on board. Like probably most of you, I love using a tool for more than one purpose.
I have used the VHF for:
1. Weather
2. Call ahead to customs
3. Call ahead for a slip
4. See if a vessel that you are next too has crazy intentions.
5. Occasionally call the coast guard to tell about a deadhead or other hazard.
So how do you chat up new friends??
Dr Newt,

As you know, calling CQ on VHF is frowned upon and more than likely not legal. Since I've been a HAM since the age of 10, I've never had a fear of using radios. Alone in an anchorage that is far removed I'll leave on 16 with a very loose squelch so that a weak signal will open the receiver. In an anchorage with other cruisers, after setting the hook I'll make a general call on 16 introducing myself and say I'm on a dual channel watch of 16 and either 67, 71, 72. On those (3) non-commercial ship to ship channels I feel comfortable to carry on as if on a HAM frequency. Sometimes late morning after the kids in the anchorage are done discussing their Calvert homework on 71 and have made plans with the other cruising kids for the remainder of the day, I'll call out and chat up their parents.

That is how I do it on VHF. On HAM, just calling out a directed CQ to other cruisers near a MM frequency that is local to my area works best, so needless to say, not on 20 meters nets, but the 40 and 75 meter nets.
Old 04-04-2012, 17:30   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, up here in Washington Channel 16 is working, and you get in trouble even if you try to radio check it. 69 seems to be a pretty popular channel, but it is mostly marina's and their business. If I just stay on 67 and state I am monitoring the channel, other cruisers will start talking?
Sorry I am such a newb at this. When I was racing J-24's or in ASA school, nobody ever went over this- so I just never learned. I have been studying off and on for a general HAM, so I understand you, I just don't understand how to make it work while coastal cruising.
Sorry for my own thread drift....
Old 04-04-2012, 17:36   #145

Dr Newt,

I don't want to steer you wrong. I was talking about remote anchorages away from heavy 16 traffic. In the Sea of Cortez, 16 is used by all and when your away from major population centers is rather quiet. I only use HAM to chat up other cruisers when in populated maritime areas. Have you gotten off the beaten path in your cruising?
Old 04-04-2012, 19:21   #146

Boat: Able 50

Could be worse. At least he didn't try to sell us a Taswell.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:08   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do get out, but my main cruising for short trips is around the Salish Sea. When I go into a harbor here, there is typically 20 or so cruisers. It would be nice to talk with a few of them. I will try the "standing by" on 16 this summer when I head towards Alaska.
In the meantime, I have been thinking about buckets- yeah buckets. Cloth ones, the ones that compress down and store easily. I have been making some drogues for my boat, and if I put the drogues on snap ons, and made a light weight insert that would fit in the drogue- voila and bucket from a drogue, and I would never run out of buckets. I could have one for poop, one for dishes, one for fish etc, and when the going got rough, I would reassemble my drogue and throw it out there.
What do you guys think??
And the required list gets a little shorter....
Old 05-04-2012, 04:41   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Mike, The more posts of yours I read, the more I think we are cut from the same jib. I also prefer remote anchorages over the popular ones with teaming night life on shore, audible from the anchorage. If I want to be social for the short term, there is HAM and if not too remote, VHF. If I meet folks by these means that I feel after awhile, a good connection, then a invite for dinner and drinks are in order. At this point if you or Dr newt were within VHF range, the invite would be put out.
Thanks Bob. I'd love to raise an actual glass with you both. The next time you sail through the Great Lakes, let me know .

Actually, give me two years and I may come to you. We cut the lines for our undefined journey beginning Spring 2014. Until then we're limited to extended (30+ day) summer cruises up here, mostly on Lake Superior.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15   #149

Quote:
In the meantime, I have been thinking about buckets- yeah buckets. Cloth ones, the ones that compress down and store easily.
Nice idea Newt. Sounds like a good excuse to pull out our Sailrite and try and make a bucket.

Along the same lines (and in the spirit of simple, if not cheap), does anyone use inflatable fenders? I become increasingly resentful of all the dead space our static funders take up in the sail locker. I've been looking at Easystow or Praktek models. Any experience?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Alone in an anchorage that is far removed I'll leave on 16 with a very loose squelch so that a weak signal will open the receiver. In an anchorage with other cruisers, after setting the hook I'll make a general call on 16 introducing myself and say I'm on a dual channel watch of 16 and either 67, 71, 72.
Funny, I tend to turn the VHF off once the hook is down. Sometimes, if I recognize a fellow cruiser (assuming there are any in the same anchorage, which is uncommon), or want anchoring info from those already hooked, I might give a shout out on 16, and then bounce over to a working channel. Mostly though, I go off-air. Probably not the best practice, I know...

Tags
sailing