Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 05:43   #76
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: The Ocean is broken...

wow, whatever this trash is made of, we should make sails from the same thing.
just think sails that last 100's of years in the sun.
or, perhaps they overstate the life cycle of plastic.

you say its in the food? when was the last time you went fishing with a plastic lure and just left it floating on the surface? fish, like us, know what they are eating. they have taste buds. and if lures didnt have a hook, the bait would be spat out quite fast.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 05:57   #77

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
wow, whatever this trash is made of, we should make sails from the same thing. just think sails that last 100's of years in the sun. or, perhaps they overstate the life cycle of plastic. you say its in the food? when was the last time you went fishing with a plastic lure and just left it floating on the surface? fish, like us, know what they are eating. they have taste buds. and if lures didnt have a hook, the bait would be spat out quite fast.
You're missing the micro plastic part. Look at a blue tarp, as It break down there are small particles everywhere. They're easy to consume mixed with other stuff. It's not the big pieces that are causing the immediate problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 06:00   #78
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

the micro part will break down just as fast. the rate is constant. i do not have exact numbers, but the rate it quite fast.
the next begged question is it stays in the fish. can a fish's body break down the plastic and send it to muscle or fat? we can't even digest corn, and you think a fish can digest plastic?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 06:12   #79

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Once you've seen the extent of plastic on foreign shores or floating offshore you may change your tune. I think it's disgusting, you may like to be surrounded by our plastic refuse, I do not.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 06:39   #80

Quote:
the micro part will break down just as fast. the rate is constant.
Do you have a reference on that? I would have expected the breakdown rate to accelerate as the size got smaller due to the higher percentage of exposed surface area per mass.

The same way that a piece of paper catches fire more easily than a log, I would expect smaller pieces of plastic to degrade more easily. I don't know this to be true. I am hoping to find out.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 07:36   #81

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
The answer is "not much garbage" (per volume of ocean). I've sailed and motored through the Garbage Patch region many times and the trash there is dispersed to the point where you may not see anything visible for miles. Even in the occasional areas of higher concentration you might see ten or twenty chunks per hour. You do see plentiful marine life though, including millions of jellyfish. Any scooping or straining operation would have to trap and kill huge amounts of sealife in order to reclaim a few pounds of debris (including the sub-surface plastic "nurdules").

The last time I transited this region was summer of 2012, and my crew included two NOAA researchers who were performing a debris survey.

I believe that there is no way to realistically clean up the debris once it's in the Gyre. Even if you could manage to screen out the junk without an unacceptable marine life by-catch, the fuel needed and resources expended to do this would be excessive. I've seen plans to "harvest" the plastic debris and convert it to fuel on the vessel, in an effort to make the collection process self-sufficient. This is a ridiculously flawed idea, again due to the low trash density and the marine-life by-catch.

Stop the trash at the source, either by recycling, or not creating it in the first place.
All through this thread, I'm wondering what the Ocean floor looks like after all these years of the polluting.

Quote:
the micro part will break down just as fast. the rate is constant. i do not have exact numbers, but the rate it quite fast.
Break down into what? Please explain.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 07:52   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Once you've seen the extent of plastic on foreign shores or floating offshore you may change your tune. I think it's disgusting, you may like to be surrounded by our plastic refuse, I do not.
I have driven thru Mexico(a lot of it) and I have seen Gov. fences along parts of the hwy and you cant even see the fence as it is covered in carbon bags(plastic bags you get at a store when you buy a candy bar etc.),a ten mile strech ,covered from top to the ground ...The fence is what collects them as they blow like tumble weeds in the wind ,makes me sick to think about it!..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 10:51   #83
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have driven thru Mexico(a lot of it) and I have seen Gov. fences along parts of the hwy and you cant even see the fence as it is covered in carbon bags(plastic bags you get at a store when you buy a candy bar etc.),a ten mile strech ,covered from top to the ground ...The fence is what collects them as they blow like tumble weeds in the wind ,makes me sick to think about it!..
Habits can be changed. plastic bags were a real problem in the hedgerows in Ireland. They brought in a ( 20 cent charge ) small tax, plastic bag usage dropped dramatically , many supermarkets don't even offer them anymore , I noticed the same system in Portugal recently.

Hit people in the pocket and they change habits soon enough.

Dave
Old 21-10-2013, 11:18   #84

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Plastic shopping bags has been a curse on the planet. There are parts of Asia that I've seen where the surf was all plastic, and no one does anything about it.

There's not much we can do until the third world, and others, starts taking responsibility. And that should be the goal. Some societies are born and raised in garbage/poverty. Until that changes very little can be done to eradicate the problem.

As for tsunami's, not much we can do to prevent that. Time is the healer, just like at Mt. St. Helens.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:19   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Pointing out an error isn't usually considered quibbling.

You obviously read my other posts in which I clearly stated I agreed and gave my experience on the subject. Going out of your way to call my point quibbling make you feel better? Go-o-o-d.
You didn't point out an error.

The article gave an annual total and a weekly minimum ("at least"). You made an error when you surmised the total wasn't logical given the weekly minimum. You made a faulty assumption that the minimum was an average.
Old 21-10-2013, 16:29   #86

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Question 'The Broken Ocean'?

An extremely interesting yachting article published in the Newcastle Herald (Australia). I can see it initiating a number of worthwhile discussions,

The ocean is broken | Newcastle Herald
Old 21-10-2013, 16:30   #87

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Re: 'The Broken Ocean'?

Been posted already
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 16:51   #88

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I always said the Mexican flag design should be of a Seguaro cactus with a plastic bag stuck on one of its arms.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 18:07   #89
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Maybe it's worth worrying about microplastics, when we actually know that there's anything to worry about?
This might be a better source about microplastics: Polymers Are Forever | Orion Magazine
Old 23-10-2013, 03:33   #90

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
This might be a better source about microplastics: Polymers Are Forever | Orion Magazine
Thanks and aaaarrrgh !

From what i understand most plastics (not the new truly biodegradable ones) leach either BPA or in the case of BPA free, Antimony (an element which causes similar effects as lead on organisms) into the surrounding water.

What has been laughably called "biodegradable" plastics up until now just break into smaller segments with sun and oxygen and over ~50-300 years still leaching chemicals will dissolve

I've said it before to my family "we have to become near zero plastic users", but to be honest we might have lowered but it seems near impossible.

IMO the solution requires a change of industry, even a glass bottle of bubbles with cork and wire has a plastic coated foil and ring on it What, can i only drink what i can grow and ferment !! ouch.

So perhaps science can come to the rescue and money spent on alternatives that you can put on your veggie patch are the real road to a better future.