Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-09-2013, 11:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: The Greatest Production Monohull of All Time - By Bob Perry

I too am biased, and continue to enjoy mine. I just thought it was a personal thing, but it is nice to know others appreciate her too. Anyone who wants to sail her are welcome to her biannual passages around cape flattery. This last August we had a crew of 6, caught salmon and had a great time. BTW the 42 is the same hull, it just has a spirit attached to it.

Old 24-09-2013, 15:05   #17

Boat: contessa 32

Come back Bob! Yes its more sedate( controlled?) here but lots room for venting over at Anarchy.

Old 24-09-2013, 23:58   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I'd love to see Bob back too.

I will also agree that I like the Valiant 42 over the 40. But I think this list is more about milestone boats.
Old 25-09-2013, 00:33   #19

There is nothing terribly special about a Valiant 40, its very moderate. I think what makes it special is more about history. Prior to the Valiant, most offshore sailors believed that only a full keel boat with round bronze ports was up for the job. Perry's design used a fin keel and skeg rudder along with plastic ports and sailed circles around the likes of Westsail 42's and became a benchmark boat for offshore sailing. Of course today there are many boats in that size range that might be considered much better than a Valiant for sailing offshore but the Valiant was a first and will always have a special place in sailing history.
Old 25-09-2013, 10:31   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I'm biased toward the 42. I think in Bob's mind the 42 is still a 40 with a sprit and slight change in mast position. The hull mold is the same. He refers to it as a 40 in the 42 configuration. And he did not really like the cabin top of the 42.

The 42 is very forgiving which I like. As Bob said "it has no bad habits". It also has few compromises. Most people who like to point out weaknesses may not have actually sailed one much. I often hear that the canoe stern limits storage aft but in reality it is pretty big and will hold too much weight.

The build quality is excellent and few can rival it. Unfortunately Rich Worstell, the builder, died a few years ago. He would have really been proud of this recognition. His sons still run Valiant but they don't build new boats anymore. Our boat just came out of their yard for bottom inspection and renewal. They still do great work.

We are all human and thus imperfect. The mods do a great job here but this is one they could have handled better. But Bob doesn't really care but we are poorer for him being banned.
The 42 is a bit faster and a bit better balanced in my experience, and of course with the center entry has more interior configurations. While I love my 40, I'd love to have a pullman berth and no exterior wood. Someday...

I do think that those that think the Valiant is nothing special have never sailed one. The balance of the helm is remarkable, she takes a blow and big seas with comfort that I've never experienced on another 40 footer, and in fact has a pretty long waterline and is fairly quick for an 11 ton bluewater cruising boat of her length. As for the canoe stern, it allows her to track well in a following sea with fairly unusual stability. The boat has more than enough storage for pretty much anything or anywhere you want to go.
Old 26-09-2013, 21:12   #21

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
There is nothing terribly special about a Valiant 40, its very moderate. I think what makes it special is more about history. Prior to the Valiant, most offshore sailors believed that only a full keel boat with round bronze ports was up for the job. Perry's design used a fin keel and skeg rudder along with plastic ports and sailed circles around the likes of Westsail 42's and became a benchmark boat for offshore sailing. Of course today there are many boats in that size range that might be considered much better than a Valiant for sailing offshore but the Valiant was a first and will always have a special place in sailing history.
Our Valiant has SS ports original from the factory. Many things about these boats were decided by the purchaser at the time of ordering.

The 40's seem to last forever. The first ones are pushing 40 years old and most are well over 25. A relatively small number were produced compared to many other production brands. Since there can't be enough owners to stuff the ballot box, many votes must have come from owners of other brands. That says quite a bit about the esteem these boats enjoy. Try sailing a well found Valiant 40 or 42 out on big water and then try to find something much better in that size for less than twice the price. It will take a while.
Old 27-09-2013, 08:54   #22
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
There is nothing terribly special about a Valiant 40, its very moderate.
Came here for this, wasn't disappointed... :-). Haters love to hate.

The thing about the Valiant is that's it's a magnet for sailors. Our Catalina never drew people in an anchorage, but people regularly drop by the Valiant to check her out and talk about her. They stop and check her out in the slip. Our finger has Munger's giant catamaran at the end of it that is a full party barge, and people will stop and ask about her. I guess I look like the help because invariably the first question is either "is this your boat?" or "is the owner around?" But I think it's fun, and I've heard several good tales from old timers about times they'd been out on sisterships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert sailor View Post
Of course today there are many boats in that size range that might be considered much better than a Valiant for sailing offshore but the Valiant was a first and will always have a special place in sailing history.
I think you'll find that the Valiant has special place in sailing present. It's not perfect, and it's not the best, but it's the best that a guy like me can afford. The Admiral doesn't care about displacement, or SA ratios, hull thickness, tankage, pans, tabbed bulkheads, or any of that crap. Yet the Valiant was her favorite of all the boats we looked at (ok, so it came in second to a Moody 42CC, but at three times the price it was out of our reach). It has the highest "yes, I'll take my son out in that" wife rating around...

I look at it like my truck. I drive a ten year old dual cab Tacoma. There are trucks that are bigger, faster, haul more, and tow more. But nothing in the price range even comes close to the overall utility of my old Tacoma.

JRM
Old 27-09-2013, 09:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Do you know if he is a descendant of Admiral Perry? That's a beautiful boat and a beautiful photograph.
Don't know if this was mentioned but, Robert Perry vs. Robert Peary.......

Again, congrats Bob. Well Deserved!

Tags
hull, monohull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: