Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 11:12   #526

Boat: a sailing boat
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Here in Sevilla Spain, I notice many families living in a house with apartments on different floors.

The one Im renting currently is 3 floors. The owners (Parents) live in the middle floor, the daughter and family live on the 1st floor and the son used to live on the 3rd floor. He moved to a different city so it is rented out now and contributes to the parents income.

Good idea.
Yes. It is a great idea while it works. And it seems to work very well in Spain.

It will also work for all and any non-Mediterranean people who are into it.

I, myself, would surely DIE in such an environment. I hate all things social, familiar. But my heart grows looking at my happy Spanish fiends and their families.

To each their own and we are blessed to live in times when so many of us can live their choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 04:56   #527
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

‘... In 2014, a record 60.6 million people, or 19% of the U.S. population, lived with multiple generations under one roof...”
More ➥ Record 60.6M Americans live in multigenerational households | Pew Research Center

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:44   #528
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Saw this.

Iroquios - Mk ll Sailing Boats for sale in Lincolnshire, East Midlands | Boats and Outboards
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:04   #529
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
Not having the fiberglass cleaners surely doesn't eliminate me from the frugal club ,eh? Got all the other stuff. and built the boat using up cycled lumber Great success with my reverse turkey baster when replacing capacitors in wide screen TV's I find as throw outs. Still refund all my empties and drive a nice Lexus suv somebody paid 150 thou for and I got in auction for 3200. (after 2 yrs had to replace pads and rad) Now I heat with wood and garden a bunch Had a real job once but pickin an grinnin is much more satisfying . Frugal has never been an obstacle
Frugal person would save >90% by formulating his cleaners from generic ingredients. Not much to it, for the most part. Less to carry and you can customize them to the stain.
Old 27-10-2016, 19:55   #530

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Seville, I have very wonderful memories of your city. Was stationed in ROTA, back in 80-84, lived in Puarto, and in chipiona. When I wasn't deployed VQ-2 with the EP3s, I spent all my time exploring every city town village from Portugual to termolinous, on the med side, .and a fair amount of time on the beaches of Tangier .

Are Christopher Columbus's replica ships still moored in Puarto?

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:06   #531

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Not quite sure how the last few pages of this thread relate to frugal sailing? Time I'll not get back for sure.

Can't say as I get the vibe behind leaving the nest "early" being odd. It was the norm when I was a teen, & most of us had already had jobs for years by then, paid for our college, out of state, etc. Only went home for holidays... And earned what my folks did by the time I was 23. More responsibiliity than them too.

I do get that having several generations at home makes sense, especially when it comes to caring for the young & old, etc. Though as I recall it, the common way to do it was to have a 2nd, smaller house out back for one's parents. While the middle aged folks had the main house to raise the kids in.
But much of that was also when most families had their own farms, & it helped to have the extra hands, as well as the extra knowledge, provided by the young, & old, respectively.
A family & lifestyle situation which ain't exactly the norm anymore.

So can we get back to talking sailing again please ;-)

PS: Had I stayed at home to 18, let alone 38, Bad Juju would have errupted sooner rather than later. On the part of many parties. Different cultures, values, & temperments I guess.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:50   #532
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think he means 5-7% on extremely good years, but has left out the part about the housing bust years when the market fell by 5-20%.
Long term average rate since I bought my first house in the 80s. For example, I bought my current house ~ 20 years ago and it has tripled in value.
Old 27-10-2016, 20:53   #533

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Long term average rate since I bought my first house in the 80s. For example, I bought my current house ~ 20 years ago and it has tripled in value.
In constant dollars?

Jim
Old 29-10-2016, 10:06   #534

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Weavis
You are correct.
All that matters is staying safe and sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 19:36   #535

Any suggestions on searching for boats priced frugally? I'm in the process of looking for my first boat to liveaboard and am mostly going through (North American) CL, Kijiji, and local clubs.

I understand the temptation to finance but I agree that buying all-in is wisest. Just a matter of finding frugal boats that err on the right side of being intact and safe.
gabe1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:24   #536

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

When I was doing my search I stalked Craigslist (best for sub-$15k boats), Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings.com (filter by date as boats stay on there forever even after sold) and then just walking the docks. For sub $15k boats Craigslist and walking the docks were the best sources.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:33   #537

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1111 View Post
Any suggestions on searching for boats priced frugally? I'm in the process of looking for my first boat to liveaboard and am mostly going through (North American) CL, Kijiji, and local clubs.

I understand the temptation to finance but I agree that buying all-in is wisest. Just a matter of finding frugal boats that err on the right side of being intact and safe.
Don't forget the notion that you can only get two of three things with limited funds. Having done all this several times, I say it's far better to pay more up front for a boat that was cared for and about. It's easy to tell the difference.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14   #538

Boat: a sailing boat

A frugal person will at all costs avoid boats priced frugally.

IFs are priced well in Scandinavia. Given how much sailing you can buy at 2k these would be one of my top 10 best boats for the frugal mind.

;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:57   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
When I was doing my search I stalked Craigslist (best for sub-$15k boats), Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings.com (filter by date as boats stay on there forever even after sold) and then just walking the docks. For sub $15k boats Craigslist and walking the docks were the best sources.
Thanks for this - a good boost to keep walking the docks.

Ashamed to say I can't figure out how to filter sailboatlistings by date. The year field here refers to the year of the build - and a google search didn't shed any light. Mind cluing me in?

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/search/
Old 02-11-2016, 07:12   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A frugal person will at all costs avoid boats priced frugally.

IFs are priced well in Scandinavia. Given how much sailing you can buy at 2k these would be one of my top 10 best boats for the frugal mind.

;-)

b.
Thanks for the interesting internet search! Some great boats there, it looks like. Delivering frugally to the Pacific North West would be the challenge.

Tags
sail