Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 17:23   #376
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Kenomac, had you considered that those low bucks people might have been in the wrong place for them?

Or, had you considered you're playing Margaret Mead to their Pacific Islander? totally oblivious to what they're doing?

Over our many years of cruising, we've met plenty of apparently happy almost-no-bucks-ers, although most of them were younger, not the 50-60 plus crowd. Also, we do not go to mega yacht anchorages, their swinging circles are too large.....

Ann
Ann.. judging by his comments on POS 30ftrs and 60+ old farts anchored near him I doubt very much if he communicates..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:25   #377
cruiser

re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Kenomac, had you considered that those low bucks people might have been in the wrong place for them?

Or, had you considered you're playing Margaret Mead to their Pacific Islander? totally oblivious to what they're doing?

Over our many years of cruising, we've met plenty of apparently happy almost-no-bucks-ers, although most of them were younger, not the 50-60 plus crowd. Also, we do not go to mega yacht anchorages.

Ann
I don't know what you're talking about. You are aware that my wife and I are employed as full-time working stiffs as registered nurses? And most of the people we have daily contact and interaction with are either not working or working for minimum wage here in the US? And that we live in an apartment located in the inner-city surrounded by public housing?

So... who might be making the wrong assumptions?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:56   #378

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I have the Joy of a beautiful sunset, a river otter swimming by in quiet harmony with nature.
Me too, but that river otter had better stay off my dock, if ya know what I mean.
Let's just say I don't leave Flemish coils on my dock lines anymore.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:59   #379

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Lovely. You do know currency is only a promise to pay and a fiat situation? It can devalue or not be recognised at whim....

It means nothing when they switch it off...
I never said there's only money in there.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:00   #380

Boat: Catalina 470

Money certainly dosent guarantee happiness. These little dudes dont have much, and everyday they came to my boat they were happy and they made me happy.
The problem with pinning your happiness to stuff is that stuff can go away thus so will your happiness.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475974664442.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	132571  
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:18   #381
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
To me, the opposite seems true of those who seem to want to flaunt their frugal happiness, by casting rude comments towards those who disagree.
I'm so sorry Ken, I'll try to stop flashing my Frugal happiness your way. It must make you frightfully unhappy. Glad you're enjoying your Oyster and your rolex, etc.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:21   #382

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Money certainly doesn't guarantee happiness. These little dudes don't have much, and everyday they came to my boat they were happy and they made me happy.

The problem with pinning your happiness to stuff is that stuff can go away thus so will your happiness.
Exactly, nicely put.

Kenomac, no harm intended. It's always possible neither one of us is adequately communicating with the other. I apologize if I failed to be clear.

Boatie, it's a funny thing about communication: it doesn't happen when the message is apparently not received in clear. Failure in transmission or receive mode shoots it to smithereens!

'Bye Guys,

Ann
Old 08-10-2016, 18:25   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about. You are aware that my wife and I are employed as full-time working stiffs as registered nurses? And most of the people we have daily contact and interaction with are either not working or working for minimum wage here in the US? And that we live in an apartment located in the inner-city surrounded by public housing?

But don't you own the apartment building in the inner city and spend 4-5 months in the EU on your oyster. Sort of your choice to live there and charge other inner city folk to live in the other apartments. You're be the lord of your domain.

Must be pretty stressful.

Myself I work about 10 hours a week from aboard the Rose and enjoy life. Oops there's the Frugal happiness thingy again. Sorry...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:36   #384

Boat: Catalina 470

Hey Ken, i used to think along the same lines as you ( thats not a better or worse thing). I had a immaculate old porsche. When i was growing up the local doctor had one and i saw it as success and happiness. Eventually i got one!!! The funny thing is i enjoyed the toyota hilux 4 cylinder ute more. The porsche owned me where I owned the hilux. The hilux served me.

Theres a certain amount of stuff that makes my life better, anymore starts taking from my life, the trick is determining what " my enough is". Often less is more, not always but often. I can still admire nice stuff but are not often envious of the guy/gal that owns it.

Being frugal can often improve what i desire most, time, health and friends.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:38   #385

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Full time working stiffs??? And here someone using your screen name has been posting that he is cruising in the Med... identity theft is rampant!

And these folks that you meet working for minimum wage, or not working at all... what sort of yachts are they sailing? And how are the docking facilities at your inner city apartment?

Somehow, your list of reasons that you are qualified to say that low bucks sailors are nearly all unhappy fails the sniff test, Ken.

Your sailing venue must be so very different from what we have experienced in the Pacific... we've met a lot of very happy low bucks sailors. We have met a number of folks on very high buck boats that evidenced some unhappiness, enough that they gave it up after a short time cruising. I think that on the whole I'd rather be here than where you are.

You may experience great joy in checking the time on a Rolex while driving your Ferrari back to your Oyster... good for you. Other folks may derive pleasure from other things and be happy with a simpler, less ostentatious existence.

Jim
Old 08-10-2016, 18:39   #386
cruiser

Quote:
I'm so sorry Ken, I'll try to stop flashing my Frugal happiness your way. It must make you frightfully unhappy. Glad you're enjoying your Oyster and your rolex, etc.
I never said I have a Rolex, nor does my wife own a Gucci bag. You know what happens when you assume.
Old 08-10-2016, 18:48   #387
cruiser

Quote:
But don't you own the apartment building in the inner city and spend 4-5 months in the EU on your oyster. Sort of your choice to live there and charge other inner city folk to live in the other apartments. You're be the lord of your domain.

Must be pretty stressful.

Myself I work about 10 hours a week from aboard the Rose and enjoy life. Oops there's the Frugal happiness thingy again. Sorry...
There you go with your assumptions again.

We don't own an apartment building.... never have. But we do live in Italy and Croatia five to six months per year on our Sailboat quite happily and without stress.
Old 08-10-2016, 18:53   #388
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Full time working stiffs??? And here someone using your screen name has been posting that he is cruising in the Med... identity theft is rampant!

And these folks that you meet working for minimum wage, or not working at all... what sort of yachts are they sailing? And how are the docking facilities at your inner city apartment?

Somehow, your list of reasons that you are qualified to say that low bucks sailors are nearly all unhappy fails the sniff test, Ken.

Your sailing venue must be so very different from what we have experienced in the Pacific... we've met a lot of very happy low bucks sailors. We have met a number of folks on very high buck boats that evidenced some unhappiness, enough that they gave it up after a short time cruising. I think that on the whole I'd rather be here than where you are.

You may experience great joy in checking the time on a Rolex while driving your Ferrari back to your Oyster... good for you. Other folks may derive pleasure from other things and be happy with a simpler, less ostentatious existence.

Jim
You seem to have joined Sailorchic in making a boatload of false assumptions? I suggest a reading comprehension course for you since you got everything bassackwards and upside down.
Old 08-10-2016, 18:57   #389

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

I agree low income no future is a social problem. People who are low bucks cruisers, are a different subset of cruisers, and since this is a sailing and cruising forum, I mistakenly thought that it was low bucks cruisers that were complaining to you about their lack of opportunity, money, and *stuff*. Apparently you were talking about apartment dwellers. As I thought, totally missed communication.

I was talking about low bucks yachties, who are, still, by most standards in the world, on a population base, incredibly wealthy, but in 30 years or so of cruising, have met a good number of them, and never a complainer amongst them. They seem remarkably content, actually, but they are also people who have figured out a way to have freedom for a number of consecutive years, people who work along the way.

Who is wealthier than the one who does not want more?

There's an old Portuguese proverb, offered as a toast: "Salud, pesetas, y amor, y tiempo en que guzarlos." Which means, "Health, adequate money, and love, and time in which to savor them."

Cheers,

Ann
Old 08-10-2016, 18:59   #390

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
You got everything wrong
Oh, I see. So, what DID you say about low bucks sailors being unhappy?

I hate it when I get it all wrong...

Jim

Tags
sail