Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 13:30   #346

Boat: Ericson 35-2
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

And then there are people like this guy:

Two circumnavigations on boats less than 20ft. Both with "budgets" so laughable it's not funny.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:18   #347

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
And then there are people like this guy:

Two circumnavigations on boats less than 20ft. Both with "budgets" so laughable it's not funny.
I will never complain about a lack of comfort again...lol.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:53   #348

Boat: Ericson 35-2

No kidding. True story, though.

Bill's Log: Tribute to Evgeny Gvozdev
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:44   #349

Boat: Passport 40

Ok this is not sailing related but my in-laws are hugely frugal. They were farmers and artists from the time my husband was born. They reuse everything. Wash out plastic baggies, reuse egg cartons to sell the eggs, and collect them from customers, eat only from the farm, save wrapping paper every year, reuse Christmas cars as present cards the next year and the list goes goes on. They have more money than we do. When ever they can swindle it they get other people to pay for things. We pay there cell phone and satellite phone bills. We just bought them new iPads because they demanded it. My brother-in-law lives there and is on the hook more than we are. They don't spend any more than they absolutely have to. I wouldn't call them cheap. They just live in a simple fashion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:50   #350
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Ok this is not sailing related but my in-laws are hugely frugal. They were farmers and artists from the time my husband was born. They reuse everything. Wash out plastic baggies, reuse egg cartons to sell the eggs, and collect them from customers, eat only from the farm, save wrapping paper every year, reuse Christmas cars as present cards the next year and the list goes goes on. They have more money than we do. When ever they can swindle it they get other people to pay for things. We pay there cell phone and satellite phone bills. We just bought them new iPads because they demanded it. My brother-in-law lives there and is on the hook more than we are. They don't spend any more than they absolutely have to. I wouldn't call them cheap. They just live in a simple fashion.
I think they are users and cheap. But that is me calling them that so you dont get into trouble...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:22   #351

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I think they are users and cheap. But that is me calling them that so you dont get into trouble...

seconded.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:13   #352
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Can I become your in law I need a new iPad.
Seriously what the heck? Why do you put up with all this crap from your in laws?
They sound like real users and rather rude people. IMO
Old 08-10-2016, 06:43   #353

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Ok this is not sailing related but my in-laws are hugely frugal. They were farmers and artists from the time my husband was born. They reuse everything. Wash out plastic baggies, reuse egg cartons to sell the eggs, and collect them from customers, eat only from the farm, save wrapping paper every year, reuse Christmas cars as present cards the next year and the list goes goes on. They have more money than we do.
OK, up till now I was with them, but this next stuff has nothing to do with being frugal:

Quote:
When ever they can swindle it they get other people to pay for things. We pay there cell phone and satellite phone bills. We just bought them new iPads because they demanded it. My brother-in-law lives there and is on the hook more than we are. They don't spend any more than they absolutely have to. I wouldn't call them cheap. They just live in a simple fashion.
This is not even being cheap. This sounds like people who are jerks, or leaches.

I'm all for living simply, and accepting the financial friendship of others is OK if it is honestly offered, and if there is some sort of equity in the exchange, but your description here is of people who are not frugal, but simple users.

... but why do you let them use you so? Blackmail???
Old 08-10-2016, 09:50   #354

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Leeches is a good description. Maybe too kind as well.

At least a real leech has to swim around to find its food, whereas these guys have it built into the family !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:33   #355

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Very interesting following everybody here. Being a retired public employee, and loosing everything in the last go around. I ended up disabled. I pulled all my 401s at 54, paid the taxes, no early deduct penilties,as I had been disabled on the job.

No more credit cards, only bill is mortgage, and related house bills.

CC's are a trap. If I don't have the cash in my account, I don't buy it. Ten years ago I awoke to the trap, the fraud.

Theirs an old saying " if you don't like the rules, Get out of the game" we don't, and we did. We live a very simple life, want for nothing, and use a debit card. I would agree that by using cash or my debit card, I'm saving my money, and not being minipulated by oligarchs and a corrupt system.

I do dab in gold and silver, like anything I buy low, sell high. In fact right now is a good time to be buying.

I would also say this. If you physically don't hold your money in your possession, you don't own it. Per the new G20 banking rules.

Lastly local credit unions are your friends, their members owned, and not susceptible to the big banks rules, such as " bail ins"

All our associates still use their cards, and think I'm nuts. So be it. I owe no one, own everything outright I posess.

Lastly, I'm amused when I here my friends say " their whole again" regarding their savings. Right minus 10 years of interests they all lost.

I realize the cc thing is different, however at the end of the day cc, or credit, it's all the same, and nothing is free.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46   #356
CLOD

Boat: none

Interesting mixed thinking. Kind of like choosing your color of delusion.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:16   #357

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

"If you physically don't hold your money in your possession, you don't own it. Per the new G20 banking rules."
And with ZERO interest on savings and actually NEGATIVE interest, it's a no brainer to buy a home safe.
We got one from Wayfair with free shipping, and the same thing at a local safe and lock store was a lot more $$ FOB their store, 40 miles and a ferry ride away.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:40   #358
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
"If you physically don't hold your money in your possession, you don't own it. Per the new G20 banking rules."
And with ZERO interest on savings and actually NEGATIVE interest, it's a no brainer to buy a home safe.
We got one from Wayfair with free shipping, and the same thing at a local safe and lock store was a lot more $$ FOB their store, 40 miles and a ferry ride away.
Lovely. You do know currency is only a promise to pay and a fiat situation? It can devalue or not be recognised at whim....

It means nothing when they switch it off...
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47   #359
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Returning to topic. These things help me to define frugal.

As we grow older and wiser we realize a $300 or $30 watch - - - they both tell the same time.

Whether we carry a $300 or $30 wallet/handbag - - - the amount of money inside is the same.

Whether we drink a bottle of $300 or $30 or $3 wine - - - the hangover is the same.

Whether the house we live in is 300 or 3,000 or 30,000 sq. ft. - - - the loneliness is the same.

And we realize our true inner happiness does not come from the material things of this world.

Whether we fly first or economy class, if the plane goes down - -- we go down with it.

Whether we fly first or economy class, if the plane reaches its destination- - everyone arrives at the same time.
Old 08-10-2016, 13:19   #360

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Sorry, I was off topic, financing credit, and the psychology behind it, frost me, nothing honest about it.

Weaves, regarding being frugal, well said. We find frugal, is just being practical.

Good day.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail