Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32   #151

re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

There are plenty of cheap bots out there. My main concern looking at purchasing in one is the cost of upkeep and ownership. Marina cost on the New Jersey shore where I live is not cheap. Adding insurance and other costs the minimum annual cost is likely around $5000 on an annual basis. Buying the boat is really not the issue....
bluebox3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 22:56   #152

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000 View Post
There are plenty of cheap bots out there. My main concern looking at purchasing in one is the cost of upkeep and ownership. Marina cost on the New Jersey shore where I live is not cheap. Adding insurance and other costs the minimum annual cost is likely around $5000 on an annual basis. Buying the boat is really not the issue....
That is about what I have figured, $5000. but-----that doesn't include all the electronic toys I would like to put on her...
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:03   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
That is about what I have figured, $5000. but-----that doesn't include all the electronic toys I would like to put on her...
If you look to 'conventional' methods of berthing the vessel, it will cost the same as a new boat.

You have to be inventive and go look for somewhere else. Perhaps a swinging mooring at half the cost. Perhaps an inlet somewhere. One guy here puts his boat in the water, has it swinging or goes off for a couple of months and then puts it back on the hard for 2 months then puts it in when he wants to use it again for a couple of months and then winters it on the hard. Even with lifting charges, it saves him more than half of the berth fees.

As for electronics..... especially in the States if you scour Craigs and ebay or ask around, you will find someone somewhere has a wife who doesnt like the colour scheme of the electronics suite and he is replacing it and letting it go for next to nothing.......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 18:42   #154

Hand held electronics are getting so sophisticated and so inexpensive that the high cost of hardwired electronics are going to be a thing of the past. With the exception of radar I don't think I need anything hardwired. It can sure save a lot of money.
Old 09-03-2015, 21:10   #155

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

We did similar when the marina tripled the insurance requirement to $1 million. The insurance co's thought it was a bit excessive. I didn't have much choice except to comply. Luckily it all worked out fine, as a balloon policy through our USAA home policy. You can make this work.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 21:28   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Quote:
Hand held electronics are getting so sophisticated and so inexpensive that the high cost of hardwired electronics are going to be a thing of the past. With the exception of radar I don't think I need anything hardwired. It can sure save a lot of money.
Tilt...

Want electronics then states doesn't need built in.

Why do you need radar? Rhetorical. You need what you need.

Depth sounder is probably all I need. You can get a $100 transom mount fish finder that tells you how deep the water is.

My iPad is my swiss army knife. Navtronics, Netflix, Kindle reader, email, weburfer.

I am sure you will solve the insurance issue. Keep looking. A survey makes no sense for a liability policy.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17   #157

For those of you that suggested Progressive, Got it! Phone call didn't work but I went on line and got insurance without a survey 80% cheaper than one quote. Thanks guys.

Now as far as frugal sailing goes, for every dime I spend on the boat, I must give the wife a pound of sweat in honey do's or suffer for it. I have learned to be very frugal.

When I bought this boat, the po sold it very cheap, and didn't have the time to let me properly check things out. In everything I asked, I was told "it doesn't work"
Engine, wouldn't start, stove didn't work, head didn't work, batteries bad, lights don't work. Gee, I thought I am getting this at a great price, but this boat needs a lot of work, or this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Turns out the guy is the type who drives a car, never checks his own oil, and when it breaks, he hires it fixed or buys a new one. It appears he does the same with a boat. In every case, it worked, with the exception of the mast lights. Still working on that. Good inexpensive boats are out there.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For those of you that suggested Progressive, Got it! Phone call didn't work but I went on line and got insurance without a survey 80% cheaper than one quote. Thanks guys.

Now as far as frugal sailing goes, for every dime I spend on the boat, I must give the wife a pound of sweat in honey do's or suffer for it. I have learned to be very frugal.

When I bought this boat, the po sold it very cheap, and didn't have the time to let me properly check things out. In everything I asked, I was told "it doesn't work"
Engine, wouldn't start, stove didn't work, head didn't work, batteries bad, lights don't work. Gee, I thought I am getting this at a great price, but this boat needs a lot of work, or this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Turns out the guy is the type who drives a car, never checks his own oil, and when it breaks, he hires it fixed or buys a new one. It appears he does the same with a boat. In every case, it worked, with the exception of the mast lights. Still working on that. Good inexpensive boats are out there.
Its down to the purchaser to look over the boat carefully before purchase. Ive crawled in places and substances I prefer to forget.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:01   #159
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This boat just insured with Panteanius.. £162/annum Liability
Sail anywhere..
Well happy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This boat just insured with Panteanius.. £162/annum Liability
Sail anywhere..
Well happy..
woo hoo

cheap as chips.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:58   #161

Weavis, I agree, but with the time restriction the po gave me and the price of the boat, I looked at what I could and went with my gut, because I knew that if I didn't snap it up, it would be gone. I feel I got a steal of a deal and I was right. For under $100.00 and a few days labor, she is almost ready to sail.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Weavis, I agree, but with the time restriction the po gave me and the price of the boat, I looked at what I could and went with my gut, because I knew that if I didn't snap it up, it would be gone. I feel I got a steal of a deal and I was right. For under $100.00 and a few days labor, she is almost ready to sail.
Great! I was not commenting on the circumstances of your deal....... just in general.

Love to see photos.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:25   #163

Talk with your auto insurer. Tel them you need pleasure boat insurance.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 06:53   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

Sorry about your boat buying experience but your statement "didn't have time to let me..." - that, honestly was your call and many of the red flags in boat buying.

There are very few boats "at a great price" - you gotta look past the lipstick and rouge...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 12:02   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the vessel to be as cost effective as possible, with frugal management of resources, It is important that all who sail on her do their fair share of work.

I started Clarkson le Prat, (I call him Jeremy for short) on the road to self reliance, as a young pup to clean up after himself.

He really helps around the boat during a sail.

Tags
sail