Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 19:09   #391
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
There you go with your assumptions again.

We don't own an apartment building.... never have. But we do live in Italy and Croatia five to six months per year on our Sailboat quite happily and without stress.
So sorry. So you own a commercial property that has other tenants in the inner city.. Sort of splitting hairs now aren't you.

Pity you have to live in the inner city for the other 6 months. Must be culture shock.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 19:11   #392
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Oh, I see. So, what DID you say about low bucks sailors being unhappy?

I hate it when I get it all wrong...

Jim
Ask your wife Ann, she got everything right.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 19:22   #393
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
So sorry. So you own a commercial property that has other tenants in the inner city.. Sort of splitting hairs now aren't you.

Pity you have to live in the inner city for the other 6 months. Must be culture shock.
We live in an apartment located in an office building when in the US, and yes there's quite a difference between living and working in the inner-city as we've been doing for the past eleven years and then living in Mediterranean anchorages for six months per year. Why do YOU think that's a "pity" when our situation allows us to travel the world and enjoy Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro for six months of each year? Being frugal in America allows us to play in Europe.

We mix well both in the inner-city and in Med anchorages, except not here on the internet it would seem.... where incorrect assumptions seem to run wild at times.
Old 08-10-2016, 19:41   #394

Dear Sirs, I'm a little embarrassed because this is my first post on this site. Please forgive me and go easy on me ok?. I'm posting under this topic because it says "The Frugal Sailor" and this has to do with saving money. I'm in the market for a new boat. Is this one of the main websites where people sell their boats by owner? I've explored Yachtworld.com, ebay, craigslist, etc. for a cheap catamaran. I just read on here a minute ago using a broker costs the buyer and seller more. I'm not saying they aren't worth every penny. The right one is. I never thought about a buyers broker tho. Guess I should think about it? What's a normal seller's broker commission? Is this a good place to buy boats by owner? Sorry for the long message. As the frugal sailor said "time is money". Thank you all
Markie
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 19:48   #395
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Dear Sirs, I'm a little embarrassed because this is my first post on this site. Please forgive me and go easy on me ok?. I'm posting under this topic because it says "The Frugal Sailor" and this has to do with saving money. I'm in the market for a new boat. Is this one of the main websites where people sell their boats by owner? I've explored Yachtworld.com, ebay, craigslist, etc. for a cheap catamaran. I just read on here a minute ago using a broker costs the buyer and seller more. I'm not saying they aren't worth every penny. The right one is. I never thought about a buyers broker tho. Guess I should think about it? What's a normal seller's broker commission? Is this a good place to buy boats by owner? Sorry for the long message. As the frugal sailor said "time is money". Thank you all
Markie
There is a for sale section on this site, but it's a minor part of the site, which is discussion of all aspects of sailing and cruising. Welcome to cruisers Forum.

On commissions, Brokers generally take 10% of the sale price of the boat. I've pruchased one boat via broker and the second (current) boat by owner. Generally, but not always the boat's By Owner will cost less to purchase. Though it depends on the size, age and price range.
Old 08-10-2016, 19:58   #396
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We live in an apartment located in an office building when in the US, and yes there's quite a difference between living and working in the inner-city as we've been doing for the past eleven years and then living in Mediterranean anchorages for six months per year. Why do YOU think that's a "pity" when our situation allows us to travel the world and enjoy Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro for six months of each year? Being frugal in America allows us to play in Europe.

We mix well both in the inner-city and in Med anchorages, except not here on the internet it would seem.... where incorrect assumptions seem to run wild at times.
Sorry I was saying its a pity as your only on your boat for 6 months a year. Poor thing.

I've been a full time live-aboard cruiser for 12 years, with only 5 years of that working full time while still living aboard full time.

Europe and the med, is generally not where the frugal sailors hang out. As things tend to be a bit spendy there. Or so I've heard. Being Frugal means I only need to earn about a small amount a year to keep my cat (the fur kind) in kibble. Such expensive tastes for a cat.
Old 08-10-2016, 20:20   #397
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

So back to looking after the needs of those of us with less capital.

I saw this boat listed... Im a Westerly fan and this is a good model.

Westerly Longbow 31 Sailing Yacht Cruiser | eBay

Good price too. £12K

Cash offer might do the trick. Buyers market.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:01   #398
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As David Lee Roth quipped about money:
“Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.”
“I used to have a drug problem, now I make enough money.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:05   #399
CLOD

Boat: none

I've not had money and I've had it, I've been happier when I had it. Only people without money say they are happier than people with money as a general class. Individuals many vary, but really now be real.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:32   #400
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sorry I was saying its a pity as your only on your boat for 6 months a year. Poor thing.

I've been a full time live-aboard cruiser for 12 years, with only 5 years of that working full time while still living aboard full time.

Europe and the med, is generally not where the frugal sailors hang out. As things tend to be a bit spendy there. Or so I've heard. Being Frugal means I only need to earn about a small amount a year to keep my cat (the fur kind) in kibble. Such expensive tastes for a cat.
I'd rather work a few months to earn enough cash to travel, than to be stuck in one place due to lack of money, motivation or initiative.

Our cats keep an eye on the apartment while we're gone.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:38   #401

Boat: Passport 40

When did this become a contest instead a friendly sharing of ways we can all use to save money? My way (not my inlaws&#128527 is not better or worse than yours but I may have things you may not have tried yet and you may have ideas that I have not yet considered.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:18   #402

Boat: Rafiki 37

My frugal lifestyle now has me driving across Canada towards our winter (free) house sitting gig. I get to experience a new part of the world, for little cost, over the next six months. After that we go back to our modest boat with plans to explore other fascinating places.

So, to speak to the OP's intent for this thread, it is certainly possible to live this life without deep pockets (or big income).
Old 09-10-2016, 06:20   #403
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My frugal lifestyle now has me driving across Canada towards our winter (free) house sitting gig. I get to experience a new part of the world, for little cost, over the next six months. After that we go back to our modest boat with plans to explore other fascinating places.

So, to speak to the OP's intent for this thread, it is certainly possible to live this life without deep pockets (or big income).
Bring a warm jacket.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45   #404
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've not had money and I've had it, I've been happier when I had it. Only people without money say they are happier than people with money as a general class. Individuals many vary, but really now be real.
I don't think anyone has said 'No money is Good'..
Its more a dispute about the quantity needed for quality of life.. some are happy with a Skoda.. others need a Maserati..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:25   #405

Boat: a sailing boat

It is also our failure to study English. Frugal is not parsimonious.

Frugal is "economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful."

Spasiba!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail