Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2016, 17:32   #511
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Still living out of my backpack... (dang it!)
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,051
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Exactly! And as in the past, if you don't have family members to economize living quarters with you'd go the "boarder" route. Then and now, you don't always have too much of a choice on who else is sharing your roof. That can cause problems. But it's still a solution towards economics and being frugal.
I think the boarder route is a much better soLuton that the housefull of roomates. Roomates can be "too many cooks in the kitchen". Lots of ego struggles and personality clashes etc.
But as a boarder you get all the benefits of communal living spaces, your own room, and instant, non-negotiable house rules. Everyone is on equal footing.

Frugal.
__________________

__________________
10 people a year are killed By sharks. 100 people a year are killed by cows. Fear the real killer!
Sea Dreaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 17:47   #512
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,227
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I think the boarder route is a much better soLuton that the housefull of roomates. Roomates can be "too many cooks in the kitchen". Lots of ego struggles and personality clashes etc.
But as a boarder you get all the benefits of communal living spaces, your own room, and instant, non-negotiable house rules. Everyone is on equal footing.

Frugal.
Better for me was my 24 ft boat with $150 a month moorage. No roommates no problems. If I decide I don't like the neighbors I go on the hook for a couple weeks.
__________________

__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 18:05   #513
Senior Cruiser
 
Ann T. Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 7,353
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Better for me was my 24 ft boat with $150 a month moorage. No roommates no problems. If I decide I don't like the neighbors I go on the hook for a couple weeks.
....And that's being a Frugal Sailor of Merit!!! Good on ya, newhaul.

Ann
__________________
Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, free at last, will check in when in internet range
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 18:51   #514
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nanaimo BC
Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Posts: 200
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Before Coolaid and hostels I rented a huge house .($50 /m )Only 2 of us had jobs and the other15 just came and went from all over the world at .50 a night including coffee. My job with city garbage gave us all the furniture we could pick and choose (before recycle) I drove a Buick and a Caddie, both converts and a 650 BSA and paid for the fuel with refund of the beer bottles . Buck night at the drive in saw us in the back row with a big chesterfield strapped across the Caddie trunk .Record was 22, somebody had brought home a passel of ukcraniun sailors.Before mary jane but free love was rampant even for the frugal and was great practice for later building and sailing in style
__________________
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 19:09   #515
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,227
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Now I really have a problem. I made an offer of $100 USD for a katadyn survivor 35 new old stock . Well they accepted my offer. Now where am I going to mount it I'm cramped as is.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 19:13   #516
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 9,465
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Now I really have a problem. I made an offer of $100 USD for a katadyn survivor 35 new old stock . Well they accepted my offer. Now where am I going to mount it I'm cramped as is.
Hell, that's simple: buy a bigger boat to house your bargain de-sal unit!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable II, lying Iluka NSW
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 19:15   #517
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Still living out of my backpack... (dang it!)
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,051
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Better for me was my 24 ft boat with $150 a month moorage. No roommates no problems. If I decide I don't like the neighbors I go on the hook for a couple weeks.
I can't argue with that!
__________________
10 people a year are killed By sharks. 100 people a year are killed by cows. Fear the real killer!
Sea Dreaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 19:19   #518
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,227
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hell, that's simple: buy a bigger boat to house your bargain de-sal unit!

Jim
The hard part with that is the boat I want is a 1968 islander 30 with the raised deck.
Not easy to find one that doesn't need more work than I want to do. At a price I'm willing to pay.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:33   #519
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 15,349
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
At one time many families lived with multiple generations under one roof. It's an arrangement that has really only gone underground dice the end of ww2. There really is no surprise that the trend is changing towned shared living again. It makes great economic sense and gives everyone other benefits, such as shared child care, social bonding and more hands to upkeep the house.

What troubles me is the social pressure to look upon such arrangements disfavorably. Granted there maybe a few users who take mom & dad for a ride, but that's on a few not young people as a whole.

Of course modern life is more fluid than it was 80-100 years ago. It's much harder to keep multiple generation together as younger adults pursue careers. But there shouldn't be any shame for the folk who are making it work.
Yes.

Shaming follows the dominant / politically correct / way of living. Some hundred years ago when young people started hitting it on their own and never looking back they were seen as 'selfish', 'disobedient' and 'anti-christian'. In fact, it was none of the above. Economy developed and we simply adjusted to what was the most practical solution.

Now that in many places economy is slowing down, the situation may reverse and the young may be forced to live in the nest very long as compared to the generation of their parents. Expect shaming to work its usual way though: again the young will be labelled 'wrong', 'lazy', 'dependent'.

The social strata of the whole story is interesting on many levels and while some of us may jump at the idea of living with their grandparents / parents / children / etc., others will suffer. Not everybody is wired to smile all day long, hug and enjoy the noise and the chaos of living in a big family or a small commune.

I believe the whole thing is economy driven. But sure some cultures are more adapted / skilled than others. In Spain (where we live now) family is a paramount business. They will adapt easily to the new less brave world. In other countries this will all vary. I can only guess that the re-adaptation will / would be much more difficult for the Nordics.

Different climates / different cultures / different shaming.

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:10   #520
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 7,871
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The hard part with that is the boat I want is a 1968 islander 30 with the raised deck.
Not easy to find one that doesn't need more work than I want to do. At a price I'm willing to pay.
Here is a discreet add on to house your unit. No one will notice..

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:16   #521
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 7,871
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes.

Shaming follows the dominant / politically correct / way of living. Some hundred years ago when young people started hitting it on their own and never looking back they were seen as 'selfish', 'disobedient' and 'anti-christian'. In fact, it was none of the above. Economy developed and we simply adjusted to what was the most practical solution.

Now that in many places economy is slowing down, the situation may reverse and the young may be forced to live in the nest very long as compared to the generation of their parents. Expect shaming to work its usual way though: again the young will be labelled 'wrong', 'lazy', 'dependent'.

The social strata of the whole story is interesting on many levels and while some of us may jump at the idea of living with their grandparents / parents / children / etc., others will suffer. Not everybody is wired to smile all day long, hug and enjoy the noise and the chaos of living in a big family or a small commune.

I believe the whole thing is economy driven. But sure some cultures are more adapted / skilled than others. In Spain (where we live now) family is a paramount business. They will adapt easily to the new less brave world. In other countries this will all vary. I can only guess that the re-adaptation will / would be much more difficult for the Nordics.

Different climates / different cultures / different shaming.

Cheers,
b.
Here in Sevilla Spain, I notice many families living in a house with apartments on different floors.

The one Im renting currently is 3 floors. The owners (Parents) live in the middle floor, the daughter and family live on the 1st floor and the son used to live on the 3rd floor. He moved to a different city so it is rented out now and contributes to the parents income.

Good idea.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:27   #522
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 3,035
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...I believe the whole thing is economy driven. But sure some cultures are more adapted / skilled than others. In Spain (where we live now) family is a paramount business. They will adapt easily to the new less brave world. In other countries this will all vary. I can only guess that the re-adaptation will / would be much more difficult for the Nordics.
The whole shift to kids staying longer with their parents, and parents coming to live with their kids, is absolutely driven by economics here in North America. The demise of the middle class means a real reduction in the economic capacities compared to previous generations following the days of the New Deal. Now that we are rapidly returning to a more feudal type of economic arrangement (one folks like Piketty depressingly suggest is more the norm), it only makes sense to reduce family housing and living expenses by living under one roof. In fact, it's a continuation of the economic adaption of families that first led to the influx of women into the workforce, then working longer hours, then going into deep debt. Reducing expenses through communal family living is yet another step down this slope.

I see no shame in this approach; perhaps a sense of bitterness that the gains of the post war era are being rapidly reversed, but no shame. But all of this does enhance the shift to more frugal living, both on land and on a boat (to swing this back to cruising). This is probably a good thing for our global societies, and for the planet in general.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:37   #523
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 12,094
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

You guys are making me feel guilty for pushing my 21 yr old Son out of the house, so Mom and Dad can go cruising.
I think though, that it is healthier and an eventual fact of life.

I do concur with the idea that the average working class person has just about cashed in everything possible, and must now learn to live more frugally, although many will go down this road kicking and screaming.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 11:58   #524
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Mediterranean
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 6,080
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guys are making me feel guilty for pushing my 21 yr old Son out of the house, so Mom and Dad can go cruising.
I think though, that it is healthier and an eventual fact of life.

I do concur with the idea that the average working class person has just about cashed in everything possible, and must now learn to live more frugally, although many will go down this road kicking and screaming.
No, you did the right thing. I happen to disagree with all the feel good politically correct parenting your thirty something kids type posts.

Nothing wrong with instilling some economic kick in the backside economics... just like the animal kingdom.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 12:03   #525
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 15,349
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Our "kids" are fine to have their own iPhones at 12, car keys and sex at around 16, and guns at 18.

Meanwhile, at 21 (37 / whatever) we are "pushing them out of the nest"?

C'mon. We are inconsistent in our attitudes.

A kid equipped with an iPhone and contraceptives should leave the nest NOW and let their parents have a normal life.

Look at India, look at Africa. A 15 years old is an adult person. Ready to work, love and kill.

I think the only exception could be talented young who are undertaking serious scientific studies. These should be funded by some sort of crow funding. We need someone to design future iPhones and future Bavarias.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising the Caribbean, the Frugal Way Soundbounder General Sailing Forum 8 15-11-2009 20:18


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.