Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2015, 03:37   #1

The Do's & Don't s When Buying a used Nauticat 33

Hello to all reading this thread.

I am presently looking to see what's available in the the used market for a Nauticat 33. I see that there is a lot of variances for this model - is there a good and bad model?

I am a retired Mine Maintenance Manager so I know about 400t dump trucks and the likes but what I don't know about is what to look at when I do a visual inspection of a vessel. I know the vessel will need to have a survey out of the water but what I'm looking for is a ready made check list of the things that I need to look at.

My experience with motor sailors or yachts is zero so any suggestion will be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

Robert
Silver Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 04:07   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: The Do's & Don't s When Buying a used Nauticat 33

The Nauticat is a nice boat. You don't say where you are, but friends of ours have a 10-year old 331 which they ordered new from the factory. I wanted to comment about variants to the model. They ordered it new & had an exceptional number of options when selecting the layout, rigging, etc. In their case they selected two double cabins with two heads--that's a lot for a 33' boat. My point is there are probably as many variants to that hull design as there are 331's.

If you happen to desire a nice 331, professionally maintained, with original owner who is selling due to advancing age--PM me. She is in England though.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 04:35   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Maake sure your surveyor is accredited with either SAMS or NAMS, and is willing to sign a authorization order for survey that can hold them accountable. If your surveyor cant provide proof of accredidation and is not willing to sign anything and agrees not to put a huge clause on the survey alleviating them of any liability then find another surveyor.
This is a huge problem people dont realize, happens all the time in Florida. probably 1/3 of the surveyors are not accredited or have lost their accrediation and yet they still provide surveys, taking advantage of people. Theres even a few Really Well known Surveyors out there doing this.
Some even working for the major brokerages and yacht companies, knowing they arent accredited.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 05:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

By all means get a good surveyor.

BUT, keep in mind most surveyors know most brokers you are the stranger on the deal.

If you know heavy equipment, you know how a diesel should sound even before the oil is tested. And while your T it get the transmission tested also- try to ascertain when the fluids were last changed as that is an indicator of how bad/good things are.

Likewise the standing rigging- look at the ends and finally search the Internet for known issues with that boat. When buying my Tartan I knew they were prone to water issues where the chainplate went through the deck. Island packets are known to have hard to replace chain plates.

Perhaps finding a user group would help identify problem areas.

If the broker gets cranky, politely remind him/her you are plunking a chunk of change down and want to make sure there are no surprises.

All that said, expect at least 2-3 "oh crap" discoveries during the first year of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 06:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

I am familiar with Nauticats and they are...unusual boats. Certainly not for everyone, but extremely well built and engineered and perfect for the right sailor...er motorsailor. They are sort of like Island Packets--they have a dedicated following ofr real lovers and a dedicated following of detractors. It's not the boat for everyone. I would be equally concerned that she is the right design for you rather than her specific condition or survey. She is made for the North Sea and as such is very different in terms of cabin area, open area, accommodations than most more "modern" cruisers as she is really a motorsailor. I personally find them uncomfortable and hard to walk around and they roll a bit as they have a lot of windage and supersructure. If I recall, they mainly had Ford Lehmans--(sometimes Yanmars too I recall) and they are heavy--real serious workhorses and very reliable, but the boat is generally heavier and more of a heavy weather motorsailor than she is a real cruiser. If, as you say, your experience is zero, why not try out other boats by sailing with friends, yachtclubs or taking lessons or crewing on a delivery? These are not the types of things surveyors will generally tell you--their opinion as to whether it is the right boat for you or not is not in their scope..they want to tell you if it is going to sink or blow up. Nothing wrong with that of course, but do you need to know more? Perhaps, based on your own admission. But if she is your number one choice--by all means, study them all and base your choice on price, location and amenities...and of course her general condition. Good luck!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 08:15   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

They do come in more than one underbody config and also with at least two different superstructures.

Try to grab one with a skeg and a raised aft deck - these are said to sail better than the shallow full keel ones. They also offer more space in the aft cabin.

Also make sure they fit your cruising style: these are truly MOTOR sailors, not the other way round. If you want to sail a lot and where the winds tend to be light, you will want something more of a motor SAILOR.

Note: they do roll in anchorages somewhat more than things with deep keels and tall masts.

They are well made and easy to repair. Given their age their original deck often has to go (unless you find a grp one, but most I have been on were teak laid). Given their characteristics, they often require repowering sooner.

A boat is a boat is a boat... Etc.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 08:49   #7

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

There's some good info here about what to look for when buying a boat. Just use this as a guideline and it should help fine.
Boat Inspection Trip Tips
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:18   #8

It's no racer and many will leave you in their wake but as a safe cruiser I would say Yes, yes yes. I owned one for a number of years and although it was 1977 vintage I loved it and always felt safe regardless of weather.
Charlie Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:28   #9

I have a boat inspection checklist that isn't too bad. Email me if you want a copy. (clik on name for email)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:32   #10

Hi,
I live in Asia - England is not a problem for me as I have all the time in the world- the 331 seems a nice boat from searching the net, its the $'s meeting my budget. English people tend to look after boats very well as opposed to other parts of the world and therefore I would be interested to chat with the lady in question.
Thank you for your assistance

Regards,

Robert.
Silver Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fern View Post

...............but what I'm looking for is a ready made check list of the things that I need to look at.
here's one

Boat Inspection Trip Tips - SailboatOwners.com

OOPS, I see Daniel sent this in post #7.

OK, here's more:

Three things to check

Like any boat, check it out, but here are three things I suggest to everyone:

1. Dipstick access. If it's a pain to do, you won't, nor would the PO. Is it easy to get to or do you have to tear the cushions out?

2. What engine? Are spare parts reasonably available? Yanmar parts are hard to get (worse in Canada). And very expensive. Not a deal killer, but... Universal engines are Kubotas so tractor stores have the parts. Yanmar are reputed to be available world-wide, Kubota not so much, but they're both tractor engines on boats in the 30-38 foot range. PS – There is a Kubota tractor dealer just outside Duncan, BC on the Island, right on Hwy 1. Great folks (July 2015).

3. Sleeping - try out the berths. Really. Our boat has what I have found to be THE largest V berth of any boat in its size class, even the C36s. Try out the berths. Try out the berths...

Courtesy Boatman61 on cruisersforum:

Make up a list of boats that are up for sale near you that are accessible to viewing externally.. tromp the pontoons and check out the exteriors.. salty enough.. or trendy enough.. the way the exterior is maintained tells a hell of a lot.. not so much the gleaming S/S.. more the general appearance.. sloppy lines, mildewed running rigging.. the way the sails are stowed.. can tell one a lot before you even look below.. don't like it.. Scratch it..
A coupla w/ends of this you'll have a short list..
Call the brokers or owners and set up 2 viewings a day for when it suits you and then go for it.. – limit the viewings and take cameras & lotsa photos.
Get on Board.. the more knowledgeable checks out the top while the other heads below.. now some boats.. I don't know why.. but as soon as you reach the bottom of the steps its: “No Way.”
Not because its a mess.. just a kinda antipathy.. don't strike any others of the same model off the list.. unless it happens again. Its weird..
Anyway.. when you've both finished nosing around.. ask the broker or owner for some time alone together one the boat.. no excited patter/chatter or this good.. that bad..
Thats for later.. this is bonding time.. sit back.. maybe lay on the bunks.. and open up.. you'll know what I mean when it happens.. that little smile with eyes closed on both your faces means.. You've found THE Boat..
And you'll go home and start scheming how to get it yesterday...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:46   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I recall, the early Nauticats in the 33ish ft LOA had a wood PIlothouse. Think that changed to fiberglass around 1980, but you should verify that, it might have been as early as 1978.

One thing to look at is ventilation as you are in the Tropics. Consider how many opening portlights (windows) and hatches may be opened to allow airflow.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 10:10   #13

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I own a 1983 36 foot Nauticat motor sailor, and I wouldn't trade it for the fastest sailboat on earth or the biggest Megayacht.
Yes, she's not a great sailor in light airs, especially up wind but she is sea kindly and dependable. I never worry about bad weather and I've never noticed her rolling anymore at anchor then any other sailboat in the harbor. She is heavy and stable with a 6 foot full keel and a well protected prop and rudder so I never have to worry as much about crab pot markers as most other sailboats.
You don't say what vintage or year that you are looking for, but most of the older models had the Ford Lyman Diesel engine. Mine came with a Perkins 4.236 and gets reasonably good fuel mileage at between 5 and 6 knots under engine alone.
Most of the 33's like my 36 are ketch rigged which makes them very versatile and very easy to single hand.
You may want to look at NauticatUSA and if you are really interested in a nauticat and motorsaers in general you would be better off asking your question by email to nauticatat@yahoogroups.com instead of to a mixed group of all vessel owners.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:40   #14

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Maake sure your surveyor is accredited with either SAMS or NAMS, and is willing to sign a authorization order for survey that can hold them accountable. If your surveyor cant provide proof of accredidation and is not willing to sign anything and agrees not to put a huge clause on the survey alleviating them of any liability then find another surveyor.
This is a huge problem people dont realize, happens all the time in Florida. probably 1/3 of the surveyors are not accredited or have lost their accrediation and yet they still provide surveys, taking advantage of people. Theres even a few Really Well known Surveyors out there doing this.
Some even working for the major brokerages and yacht companies, knowing they arent accredited.
I have hired a few surveyors over the years, and have seen a great deal of surveys. Maybe an exception, but I have never seen a survey without a clause to absolve them of any responsibility for missing anything. And the only way to hold a surveyor responsible would be to prove negligence, which is not an easy thing to prove.

In this day and age, there are very few businesses in the marine industry who do not at least have a clause, with many even making you sign away your rights to subrogation with no way around it in many cases. There is a clear difference between what would be considered a claim in workmanship and one in absolute negligence.

I could be wrong, but I would love to have the number of a surveyor willing to take responsibility for anything he may miss. If you have one, we would all appreciate you sharing.

IMHO you are correct that the buyer should find a surveyor on his own and not take the advise of the broker. A broker should stay clear of recommendations other than providing a list of surveyors who work in the area. BoatUS and boatyards are good sources. When you call and ask for availability, I would bet the one who is booked at least a month out is the best on the list.

You can also search SAMS The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)
or NAMS directly NAMSGlobal - Welcome Aboard | NAMSGlobal

If they are listed with an accreditation, then that should be all the proof you need.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fern View Post

I am presently looking to see what's available in the the used market for a Nauticat 33. I see that there is a lot of variances for this model - is there a good and bad model?

I am a retired Mine Maintenance Manager so I know about 400t dump trucks and the likes but what I don't know about is what to look at when I do a visual inspection of a vessel. I know the vessel will need to have a survey out of the water but what I'm looking for is a ready made check list of the things that I need to look at.

My experience with motor sailors or yachts is zero so any suggestion will be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

Robert
Check your messages, I left my email there. Cant attach my sheet to your private message...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying