Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35   #121
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,973
The death of Active Captain

We will see, History of Garmin is to charge large amounts for their subscription updates, like earlier in the thread of $50 a month for Aviation equipment.
I remember higher, but memory fades with time.

Here price to update your G1000 in your Cessna 206 goes from $650 to almost $1,000.
Pretty good money for a one time update, donít you think? Update cycle for IFR is 90 days if memory serves, but as I already said memory fades, and maybe you get more than one update for a grand?
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

I just looked, for my handheld itís $300. All done on the computer. Good money indeed.
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:09   #122
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,180
Re: The death of Active Captain

People keep confusing the Active Captain data that was created by Jeff and Karen and the chartplotter apps that have nothing to do with them and have always been owned by Garmin (BlueChart Mobile and the new Garmin Active Captain app).

Jeff and Karen's invention was always intended to be incorporated into many chartplotter apps including those not owned by Garmin. Garmin has continued with that strategy and is not charging independent app developers for the data. The new Garmin interface library is also free. Several apps made the transition quickly. I haven't heard a good excuse as to why some apps have dropped support of AC but it's hard to blame that on Garmin (although not having a beta was a major technical blunder by Garmin) I expect the other apps will change their minds and add support as more of their competitors support AC.

Garmin Active Captain App: Garmin made the Active Captain app for people with Garmin Chartplotters. For those people the charts are free because you use the charts you bought with your chartplotter. It is not meant for BCM users who don't have Garmin Chartplotters. This was a great move by Garmin for their chartplotter customers. There's nothing evil about it. I'm surprised Raymarine and Simrad haven't built their own apps to that support the AC data. It would be silly to buy a whole set of chartplotter charts just to use on the Garmin app. Garmin clearly doesn't expect anyone to do that.

Blue Chart Mobile: I use BCM everyday. It's updating AC fine again for me. But anyone who has apps know that free apps like BCM come and go. They are free. And the $50 for BCM charts has always been only for the current version -- but you could use them as long as you want. There was never special update pricing. You just bought another $50 set of charts when and if you wanted it. Like buying paper charts. And $50 was always an astonishingly cheap price for the area covered. While I liked BCM a lot (and use it everyday) I have and like Navionics better than BCM. Once Navionics supports Active Captain, I'll be happy to retire BCM.

But none of this has anything to do with the "Death of Active Captain". Six months from now this will all have settled down and there will be more people than ever using and contributing AC data on a wide range of apps.
__________________

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:09   #123
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kansas
Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Posts: 283
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We will see, History of Garmin is to charge large amounts for their subscription updates, like earlier in the thread of $50 a month for Aviation equipment.
I remember higher, but memory fades with time.

Here price to update your G1000 in your Cessna 206 goes from $650 to almost $1,000.
Pretty good money for a one time update, donít you think? Update cycle for IFR is 90 days if memory serves, but as I already said memory fades, and maybe you get more than one update for a grand?
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

I just looked, for my handheld itís $300. All done on the computer. Good money indeed.

I'm guessing you haven't purchased very much low user volume software. My point of sale software - $12K plus $170 a month for support and monthly catalog updates. If I want to update the onboard computer systems on the cars I service, it's an average of about $1800 per year - per manufacturer. Unless you want to do Chrysler products, then you get to buy their $3295 dongle, then pay $1445.95 a year for the privilege of using said dongle, then pay the annual software subscription fee of $1800. Then every few years they come out with a new and improved dongle, and will no longer sell you a license for the old dongle rendering it completely useless, so pony up again. Then I pay about $500 a month for various sources of repair information. It never seems to end.

Software is expensive, and getting more expensive all the time.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:55   #124
Registered User
 
JohnEasley's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Palmetto, FL
Boat: "Yacht-a Yacht-a" -- 1986 Chris Craft 42' Catalina 426 Aft Cabin
Posts: 546
Images: 5
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
While I liked BCM a lot (and use it everyday) I have and like Navionics better than BCM. Once Navionics supports Active Captain, I'll be happy to retire BCM.
Yup! Us, too.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:39   #125
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 3,144
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The Net becomes what it was/is without Net Neutrality
Completely untrue. It grew massively because everyone could play on an equal footing, using open-source or inexpensive software.

Yes the dominant commercial model now is "walled garden" (Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc), but without net neutrality, it will become harder for small upstarts to challenge the giants. It will be "pay to play".
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:29   #126
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 162
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Really good in Australia so start adding stuff in US if you are on the water and eventually AC will die a slow death. Open source should stay open source.

https://www.zuluwaterways.com/map
Thanks, from Canada!
Good site. Joined and started today!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:06   #127
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Re: The death of Active Captain

After reading several pages of this and experiences many issues myself, I would just like to point something out. While it is true Active Captain was Jeff Siegel's to do with whatever he liked and Garmin paid good money for it and they can do with it whatever they like, many people are overlooking the fact that the reason Active Captain was so great was because the cruising community posted information on there daily (for free), for other boaters to use (for free). Without that input, Active Captain would not exist in it's current form.
SO, who is going to post information they can't access unless they pay for a Garmin device or pay extra for an app? Who is going to post, for free, to keep the information up-to-date, just to make money for a company? Especially after all the re-assurances that nothing will change and now there are nothing but problems.
Someone said Bob423, who posted so many great tips on AC before it was sold, was talking about developing an app like AC but keeping it free, like AC was. I don't know if this is true, but I do know a lot of people would use it if he(or she) does.
I think Garmin is shooting itself in the foot if they want this venture to be successful. It seems they've forgotten why it was so successful. They posted a message that they're experiencing delays and issues with databases and access to them, but why even make that move if they weren't ready to?
It's all about the money. But the success was based on it being free, so what happens now?
svchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 13:35   #128
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alert Bay, Vancouver Island
Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Posts: 1,308
Images: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: The death of Active Captain

I use C Map charts on laptop and tablet. I always got A/C on the tablet and found it very useful. Just got a notice that C Map are dropping support for A/C. Don't know why and it is a shame. They claim that it clashed with there own data in some way which may be true or not. Not going to change my mapping system just to get it back but may look at a free app just to get AC. Any advice on the best one for android tablets and none USA charts
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 14:32   #129
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,973
The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by svchall View Post
After reading several pages of this and experiences many issues myself, I would just like to point something out. While it is true Active Captain was Jeff Siegel's to do with whatever he liked and Garmin paid good money for it and they can do with it whatever they like, many people are overlooking the fact that the reason Active Captain was so great was because the cruising community posted information on there daily (for free), for other boaters to use (for free). Without that input, Active Captain would not exist in it's current form.
SO, who is going to post information they can't access unless they pay for a Garmin device or pay extra for an app? Who is going to post, for free, to keep the information up-to-date, just to make money for a company? Especially after all the re-assurances that nothing will change and now there are nothing but problems.
Someone said Bob423, who posted so many great tips on AC before it was sold, was talking about developing an app like AC but keeping it free, like AC was. I don't know if this is true, but I do know a lot of people would use it if he(or she) does.
I think Garmin is shooting itself in the foot if they want this venture to be successful. It seems they've forgotten why it was so successful. They posted a message that they're experiencing delays and issues with databases and access to them, but why even make that move if they weren't ready to?
It's all about the money. But the success was based on it being free, so what happens now?


It would appear that Waterway guide is in the running. In my search of what to do now, I have at least one app that downloaded Waterway guide reports very similar to the AC ones
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 14:36   #130
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kansas
Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Posts: 283
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by svchall View Post
After reading several pages of this and experiences many issues myself, I would just like to point something out. While it is true Active Captain was Jeff Siegel's to do with whatever he liked and Garmin paid good money for it and they can do with it whatever they like, many people are overlooking the fact that the reason Active Captain was so great was because the cruising community posted information on there daily (for free), for other boaters to use (for free). Without that input, Active Captain would not exist in it's current form.

It's all about the money. But the success was based on it being free, so what happens now?
All the way back in post no. 1 was the reason why it was sold in the first place. Jeff couldn't keep it because of the regulatory burden from the EU. Garmin is trying to get it back as close to the AC we all loved, while complying with EU regs.

In a nutshell, the EU is requiring that anyone who contributes to something such as AC be able to delete any and all of their content at will, and without a trace. Sounds easy, but with complex worldwide databases it becomes a nightmare. It required a complete re-write of the program, and a way for people to delete database entries without screwing up the rest of the system.

That said, Garmin should have done a much better job of keeping the community up to date on what's going on with AC and why. A little info would have gone a long way.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 15:29   #131
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 13,633
Re: The death of Active Captain

I was on Active Captain yesterday doing variou reviews. Other than having to a new account and a different look AC seems to be working just fine. Yes I loaded Aqua Maps to get it off line, but because it stopped working on my iPhone and iPad way before the sale.

You guys sure have a Chicken Little issue going on in his thread. Things change people, get used to it.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 16:32   #132
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 4,603
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I was on Active Captain yesterday doing variou reviews. Other than having to a new account and a different look AC seems to be working just fine. Yes I loaded Aqua Maps to get it off line, but because it stopped working on my iPhone and iPad way before the sale.

You guys sure have a Chicken Little issue going on in his thread. Things change people, get used to it.
Not at all sure what you mean to say about AquaMap not working but Iíve found their support to be very good. May take a couple of days to get back to you but they do.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 16:38   #133
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 13,633
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Not at all sure what you mean to say about AquaMap not working but Iíve found their support to be very good. May take a couple of days to get back to you but they do.
My Aqua Map works great. What met is that I got Aqua Map because AC stopped working on my Apple stuff off line and that was way before the Garmin thing. So saying Garmin is ďthe deathĒ of AC is silly.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 13:36   #134
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New England
Boat: lagoon 380 s2
Posts: 609
Re: The death of Active Captain

Maybe I should be posting in a new thread, but I am trying to use AC and it doesn't seem to work like the old version. I am talking about on a computer in a browser...

I would normally go to this to do some planning, it would show me marinas in areas I was considering going to on a cruise and I could call, ask about availability, read reviews.

Now I goto this link https://activecaptain.garmin.com/Map

And it shows very little. When you pan around, it doesn't update (or at least in chrome it doesn't). If I type in an area to search it shows what is there (though it seems not as complete), but when moving to a new area, you need to type it in? For instance, if I type in Newport, it shows that, but if I pan the map to Jamestown, it shows nothing. I need to actually type Jamestown in the search?

Also, as far as I can see, I don't see how to measure distance. In the old version, there was a way to actually draw a course, sort of. Or at least measure point a to b. Don't see that.

Or maybe I am just dense. Without the pan update feature, IMHO , this has really lost it's value.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 14:01   #135
Registered User
 
svfinlandia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wherever my boat is
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Posts: 298
Re: The death of Active Captain

Welcome to the club of disappointed and disillusioned Active Captain users.
Garmin has taken a perfectly good working program and totally trashed it!
I have reluctantly moved to using Waterway Guide which (IMHO) is not nearly as good as the original Active Captain, but much better than Garmin's version.

Al, S/V Finlandia
__________________

__________________
quo fata ferunt
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Export Active Captain Route To Garmin Therapy Navigation 14 05-04-2011 14:13
Active Captain sailorboy1 Navigation 11 21-03-2011 12:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.