Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 19:02   #31

Boat: Gemini, 1993 #379 34' Shearwater
Re: The death of Active Captain

I'm not sure of Garmin's plans - I guess that makes me part of the majority. All I know for sure is my navigation programs largely stopped working during the middle of a trip,. I guess depending on Active Captain and electronic charts wasn't such a good idea after all.

captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 08:29   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I just installed the Active Captain app on my Android and linked it to my Garmin 942xs plotter. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Had a few issues on the install (operator ignorance or error probably) so called Garmin tech support twice. Both times I got right through to someone that knew the products and quickly got me through the install.

Now my Android is linked to my plotter and I can see my Garmin Bluecharts on the Android and control the plotter (not sure why or if I would want to) from my Android.

The Active Captain data appears to be available off line on my phone, the charts are for sure although to save memory you download and install the charts an area at a time while deleting the unneeded areas.

On the negative side, I do agree that Garmin is pretty quick to drop support for older products but that seems to be the norm for most electronics in the world from computers to stereos home appliances and anything else with a chip inside. Yes some companies keep support much longer for some of their products but that seems to be the exception. The flip side, my older Garmin products are still working fine and I haven't really needed much help. The only problem I ran into, my old Garmin 76 series handheld needs a chart chip to show anything more that yellow = land, white = water. I managed to kill my SD chart card and the new ones won't work in the old 76 series. No problem, I got one on eBay for a fraction of what it would cost from Garmin. Probably a pirated chart but it works and I see no ethical issue since Garmin doesn't have them.

Bottom line for me, Garmin works well, I like the user interface (mostly), tech support has been pretty good, and you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:05   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

The new AC app may be good for those with Garmin equipment installed on their boat. But for those of us whose only Garmin product was the Bluechart app, it sucks. To use the AC app the we did the Bluechart app, the charts now cost ~4 times the price and they want your life story for a BoatCard.

This change certainly doesn't add enthusiasm towards the Garmin brand when time comes to overhaul the electronic gear on the boat!!

I'll use Bluechart until I find another tablet based planning tool I like. I don't get excited about the ability to upload waypoints from tablet to chartplotter, hence that feature isn't valuable to me. I would rather they are independent sources of information for comparison purposes.

It's hard to believe that $45/yr for charts on the Bluechart app wasn't a good business model. But, I guess if you quadruple the price and lose half the customers that equates to a bigger bottom line.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 12:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
Unfortunately you are correct. Commerce has no conscience.

Al, S/V Finlandia
He is, but Garmin will have bought thin air if they are left with aging data and few new entries from cruisers.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:28   #35

Looks like Active Captain will no longer be available on Nav2Plan. Bummer as I like C Map.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 10:23   #36

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Last time I tried (few weeks back) Active Captain was still uploading on Android/Plan2nav. Hope it will continue as it is useful but not something I woould change chart systems for. I have Cmap on the main Nav system as well and like to keep them consistent so would drop active captain rather thn Cmap.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 12:28   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't claim any special knowledge of or experience with Active Captain, or any brand of chartplotters or apps. I have not invested in them or in any brand of chartplotter, so I have no bias yet due to ownership. However, I am in the market to buy something and so am looking and considering what I like best. So far, I have not used all the available apps, though I have looked at several online and considered them.

I have been following this latest development, and reading most of the comments in this thread.

I just posted my user review of SEAiq, a navigation app. The following is an excerpt from that review (more detailed info is found in the review found here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...25#post2637525

I just got off a boat voyage (1200nm) where the captain of the boat used his iPad with SEAiq as his route planning app.

The boat also had a recent, large "hybrid screen" Raymarine Chartplotter system.

While I liked using the Raymarine system, as it had integrated RADAR which I could view side by side with the chart on the plotter, I also used the iPad with SEAiq extensively.

Obviously the Raymarine system has many features, a larger display, and connectivity to many inputs, including the RADAR. It is also much, much more expensive. Since I am not a boat owner, I am looking for a portable device (iPad) solution for me to take with me as I sail on different boats.

I was able to place the iPad next to the Raymarine chartplotter, and compared them as we sailed in close channels and rocky passages between many islands off the coast of Maine. I carefully looked at the chart symbology and how the chart features were displayed. I much preferred the SEAiq display. One aspect of this was how the chart contrast was shown, so that on the SEAiq display lines appeared more contrasted against the background colors on the chart, making it easier to see the faint lines, especially in dim light at night. Both displays were adjusted for night viewing, with lower than normal display brightness.

One feature I liked about the SEAiq display was the choice I could make on how the boat position was shown by a symbol on the display. The app allows one to choose a "pointer" that is related to the current boat position and speed and direction. This pointer can be adjusted to indicate where the boat will be in a few minutes. I liked to set it up for a 12 minute (and 6 minute) pointer. This allowed me (and other crew) to see where the boat would be in 6 or 12 minutes if we stayed on the present heading. This made it easy to estimate when we would pass a bouy or mark or rock or channel etc. I liked this very much, as the pointer gave a very quick visual indication of where we were going and what we would cross on our current heading. It also adjusted for the SOG, so the pointer length would change automatically when we encountered strong currents (which we often did in Maine or when entering the Chesapeake). Perhaps other navigation apps also have this or similar feature, but I know I liked it on SEAiq.

I liked some aspects of the SEAiq, and considered its display of chart features superior to the Raymarine chart, and so I took a look at the SEAiq website to learn more.

http://seaiq.com/recreational.html

Noteworthy is that the SEAiq has a version designed for Recreational Sailing. That app is only about $4.99 for download. The app uses free downloadable NOAA charts, which are regularly and automatically updated by the app.

I asked the owner/captain which he preferred. He said he depended on the SEAiq for planning his route, and he liked it better, as it was more intuitive to view and set up the routes. He also used the iPad in the cockpit when on the helm outside (his boat has a pilot house where the Raymarine was located).

On the SEAiq site I saw this mention of Active Captain (and more).
______

"New Feature: Waterway Guide
Waterway Guide content is now available as a chart overlay within the SEAiq app. Waterway Guide utilizes their extensive user base, large network of on-the-water editors, and full-time staff to provide up-to-date and accurate content
for safe and informed travel along the waterways. Marinas, anchorages, navigation alerts, bridges and locks for the Eastern U.S., Canada, Bahamas, and Cuba are now available for offline access.

Important: ActiveCaptain
We are informed on May 23, 2018 Garmin will make incompatible changes to the ActiveCaptain server. After this date, the current ActiveCaptain data will continue to work in SEAiq. However, no further updates will be available for download. We recommend users sync offline data on their devices before the May 23 cut-off. We are considering updating SEAiq support for ActiveCaptain but do not have definite plans yet."

Hope this helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 17:36   #38

BS Active Captain is toast. All the reviews, marinas, its all gone. Huge loss for Cruisers. Garmin made huge mistake, pissing on its customers.
dhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 17:42   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauck View Post
BS Active Captain is toast. All the reviews, marinas, its all gone. Huge loss for Cruisers. Garmin made huge mistake, pissing on its customers.
Gee I looked at Active Captain this morning and just checked again. All the marinas, anchorages, local info and nav warnings are still there including the reviews. Looks quite alive to me.

Old 26-05-2018, 05:55   #40

Active Captain works as it was on Garmin products. All others are less likely since Garmin bought the product and changed the interface.

Even Garmin Bluechart is in subset with no more AC updates. You must purchase new Garmin mobile products for a much bigger license fee.

Effectively crowd sourced guides are dead.

Greed wins again.
Old 26-05-2018, 06:59   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Active Captain works as it was on Garmin products. All others are less likely since Garmin bought the product and changed the interface.

Even Garmin Bluechart is in subset with no more AC updates. You must purchase new Garmin mobile products for a much bigger license fee.

Effectively crowd sourced guides are dead.

Greed wins again.
I can log onto Activecaptain with my laptop and still get full, free access to all the NOAA charts, all the information and reviews. Can do the same using the browser on my Android. Doesn't seem all that dead to me.

Old 26-05-2018, 09:02   #42

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Anyone with an email in-box has probably seen a flurry of emails this week from sites and companies that you've subscribed to, asking you to review and accept a revised privacy policy. This is all to do with the rollout of Europe's new GPDR law - one of the things that required Garmin to revise their rules and API for Active Captain.

I've been following the situation around the Garmin API pretty closely; I've even signed up to evaluate their API. Based on all that... I'm pretty confident now that Garmin realizes the value of keeping Active Captain open, and that they're not going to restrict access to just Garmin devices and charts.

Some developers of open-source marine software would prefer that the AC data was completely open, and not the property of a for-profit entity. I sympathize, but as a user, if the AC data and signups continue to be free and available for use, then the difference is mainly a philosophical one.

Again, I believe that Garmin recognizes the value of keeping AC as open as possible, and available even on non-Garmin devices. It's a great resource and should remain so if people continue to use and contribute to it.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:02   #43

Post previously purchased android and iPad navigation software that uses the ActiveCaptain download no longer operates since Garman change the interface.

There are two parts to making crowd sourced material work. One is the ability to read it via browser as you can, the other is the ability for a large number of people to easily make changes to the underlying data.

It is the second ability that Garman, Because of greed, has made either more difficult or impossible. This eventually causes the underlying active captain data to become out of date and worthless.

There are number of technical and economic terms for greed. Please forgive me if I didn’t use the right term however the spirit is correct.

Active captain without a vigorous crowd sourced database is of little value.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:09   #44

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Post previously purchased android and iPad navigation software that uses the ActiveCaptain download no longer operates since Garman change the interface.

There are two parts to making crowd sourced material work. One is the ability to read it via browser as you can, the other is the ability for a large number of people to easily make changes to the underlying data.

It is the second ability that Garman, Because of greed, has made either more difficult or impossible.
Which apps? It's up to those app developers to update their software to use the new Active Captain API.

I can't think of any way that Garmin could profit from restricting the ability to add or update data, so I don't think that is part of their plan.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 05:44   #45

Garmin even removed Active Captain from their own software HomePort. That WAS a great software because you were able to look at all the ActiveCaptain data offline, on your computer. What's the point in removing it from your own software???

coolio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain