Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 08:02   #151
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: The death of Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
However, I still have some Android apps which I can update with current AC data for use off-line.
Yes, we've successfully used the Aquamap Android app for offline Active Captain information. It's cheap, $5 one-time, and it works, although the chart symbols are a bit intrusive so it wouldn't be much use to us as the only chart package.

We used the Navionics Android app for actual charts and switched between the two when needed (not often). Also cheap, annual subscription.

We still us an old Garmin GPS with chart package for piloting from the helm.

SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 12:10   #152

Boat: Mariner 39' Le Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I am sure that most of you already know that Active Captain was sold to Garmin a few months ago. Almost immediately after the sale I found that I could not update any of my navigation apps on my iPad except for the one I almost never used - Garmin. All I got from all of my other apps was "Unable to connect to Active Captain server. I emailed Jeff to see what was going on and the only response I could get was "There is nothing wrong with our servers".
My favorite iPad navigation app was PolarView from Polar Navy, so I queried them. They had no solution for the iPad app, but for $69.00 sold me an update for my PolarView program on my Windows based laptop (which I also could not update) so it would update again. Now, just a few months later I see that I wasted my $69.00 as I see now that Garmin has terminated their agreement with PolarView also.
Anyone else care to comment on this situation?
I just sent the following email to Jeff Segal, the creator of Active Captain:
Jeff
I just found this on Polar Navy's website:
Polar Navy Support
ActiveCaptain discontinuation
March 07, 2018 07:39PM Admin
We received the following notice from Garmin wrt. ActiveCaptain data availability:
"As permitted by our existing agreement, the current product will be discontinued on May 23, 2018 and will no longer be available. Due to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements we are unable to keep this product. This letter is providing you notice of termination of that product and our existing agreement."
Based on this notice, ActiveCaptain data will no longer be available for download after May 23, 2018.
Your existing downloaded data will continue to be available in the PolarView.
Additional discussion of this topic can be found in the following thread: [support.polarnavy.com]

Polar Navy Support

------------------------
PolarView has been my number one iPad and iPhone app for years. It is the last one of my navigation apps that will update Active Captain. After May 23rd it, and none of my other apps, except Garmin will update the Active Captain apps and (IM[maybe not so]HO) the Garmin app sucks!
See now what you have done. You have sold your child to the devil for a few pieces of gold.
You can tell the folks at Garmin that because of this I will never recommend or buy another piece of Garmin gear!!
Al Judy, S/V Finlandia

I have been active in the IT business for over 30 years now, when I read something like what you wrote it really gets to my worse dark reactions. I have for years been hacking every program I could think of and when it really becomes a nice working and indispensable reality I will fork over the cost. Let me say, it rarely happens

The sale of "vaporware is rampant" They will tell you what it does but never what it doesn't. My mind rests at ease

Le Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 17:46   #153

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

PolarView lost me when they went to a subscription model. Too bad, it was a nice program.

I've found the best app which supports offline AC data and has very functional chart plotting capabilities is MX Mariner. AquaMap is a close second, with an interesting merging of navigation chart and shoreside map on the screen, which is nice in harbors. MX Mariner has the advantage of allowing raster or vector charts. OpenCPN is also great (the $10 version) if you don't need AC data.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 20:18   #154
SuW

Quote:
...I've found the best app which supports offline AC data and has very functional chart plotting capabilities is MX Mariner. AquaMap is a close second, with an interesting merging of navigation chart and shoreside map on the screen, which is nice in harbors. MX Mariner has the advantage of allowing raster or vector charts...
MX Mariner doesn't have Canadian charts, I think.
Old 24-10-2018, 03:13   #155
Are you serious?

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I still very much am using Active Captain. Right now I'm sitting at anchor and can get it on my laptop using my cell phone hotspot. On line I have a cheap AquaMap app on my phone and iPad and it has all the Active Captain data in it that can be used offline. It was $14.99 and I got a GPS device for it and now it is my backup chartplotter.

Going on rant that you aren't going to use something useful because your old devices aren't compatible is just crazy and is cutting off your nose to spite your face (none of my old devices are compatible).
Old 24-10-2018, 03:38   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

@Sailorboy,

Same with me, downladdd AC data and works fine. Charts outside USA are sketchy but adequate for planning. You can find the Anchorage well enough.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 05:09   #157

But the fact it's not getting updated as much is a tragedy
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 05:36   #158

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
MX Mariner doesn't have Canadian charts, I think.
Good point. That's why I went to AquaMap when I was up that way. There was one other app I tried which supported both CHS charts and AC, but apparently I didn't like it enough to keep on my phone once I got back.

The US is somewhat unique in offering all the chart data for free. I get sort of irritated by companies which want to take the free chart data, manipulate it into some proprietary format, then charge me for the outdated and possibly erroneous result.

On the other hand, all apps have to charge for Canadian charts. I've noticed there's a very wide range of pricing. Some are astonishingly cheap compared to buying the same coverage area directly from CHS. Others, not so much.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 06:45   #159
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
But the fact it's not getting updated as much is a tragedy
Perhaps. However it also reflects the maturity of Active Captain, imo. It's like any crowd-sourced data, there is an initial few years where everything gets put in by enthusiasts. (I have to confess I have more than 1500 AC "points"...).

After some years, because most of the data is already there, we're reduced to adding reviews like, "Mostly harmless"
Old 24-10-2018, 06:58   #160
SuW

Quote:
The US is somewhat unique in offering all the chart data for free...
Well, it's one thing to be grateful to the US Federal Government for.

Quote:
On the other hand, all apps have to charge for Canadian charts. I've noticed there's a very wide range of pricing. Some are astonishingly cheap compared to buying the same coverage area directly from CHS. Others, not so much.
We used to have to buy all these charts from CHS, on a paper that was similar to blotting paper. It was worthwhile to photocopy the large format charts just to be able to erase your plot lines...so I'm grateful for the convenience!

Thanks for the discussion; I'll try MX Mariner when I'm in US charted areas, I think.

I've also played around with Zuluwaterways maps. It's good, better than AC for the web interface anyway, but I'm not sure if they're going to get enough data to make it useful for everyone.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:29   #161

I also continue to post on AC but much less as there isn't much new to say. If there are 10 reviews saying about the same thing, it doesn't help to make it 11.

While I have Garmin chartplotter, I had pretty much switched over to AquaMap on Ipads. My only complaint is that it is a little slow panning and drawing compared to BlueChart Mobil (which I still use and continues to update AC fine).

I had tried the new Garmin ActiveCaptain app a year ago and found it unusably slow on the Ipad but I left it installed so it would update. I tried it again last week and it is now pans and draws as fast as old BlueChart Mobile. Generally works fine (obviously only if you have free charts by sharing your Garmin chartplotter charts). So I guess I'll use both it and AquaMap.

I can't switch completely to the new Garmin app because Garmin only lets you use the app on two devices. I have four Ipads and three phones on board. Has anyone found a way around this customer unfriendly restriction? It's another sign that Garmin is really just a 1990's hardware company hopelessly stuck in the days of dongles and license numbers - They clearly don't get apps or crowdsourcing.

Any news or rumors about AC on the Navionics App that Garmin promised by "the end of the year"? I hope it also doesn't get this new 2 device restriction!
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 11:46   #162

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

My experience with BlueChart Mobile and Active Captain is like most others', with the following qualifications:

1) since I have a Garmin GPSMap942 as my secondary chartplotter, I'm able to bring charts to my iPad on AC. At first I did not like the AC Chart functionality on iPad, but I have come to realize it actually has a greater number of features than BlueChart mobile on iPad, though I still prefer the look & feel of BlueChart better than AC in terms of how charts look.

2) AC performance is just as fast as BlueChart was, as far as I can tell.

3) BlueChart Mobile continues to work on the iPad, but it is gradually developing glitches like freezing or requiring re-starts, so I will very shortly be using AC full-time on the iPad.

My greater concern about Garmin is that Monty and Sara Lewis longer give unequivocal affirmation that Bahamas charts on Garmin BlueChart match Explorer. That is irritating. Why, WHY would Garmin want to mess with Explorer data, the widely acknowledged gold standard for Bahamas? That is stupid. Before I go to the Bahamas next Spring I'll be getting a new primary chartplotter that can run C-Map with Explorer charts.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 12:00   #163

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Also using Aquamap with Active Captain and Waterway Guide integrated,on recommendation from ICW seminar at boat show">Annapolis boat show.

steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain