Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2012, 20:27   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: The Cruisers Essentials List

OK cable cutters is on the list with and/or hacksaw. Liferaft is still on the most current list- its just called an unsinkable dingy. (Thats what a liferaft is, isn't?) Remember we are trying to simplify.
BTW- Lin and Larry did a cost analysis- to fully equip a boat was between 20-50K (with all new stuff) A lot of their stuff is now gone from this list.
The emergency water maker is on because it goes in the ditch bag and I carry one. Dehydration death is a bad way to go.

Old 10-04-2012, 22:15   #122

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Very interesting list, Newt!

If you compare what the old salts had (Chichester, Slocum, Graham, etc), it indicates that many of the items on the list are, by definition, "wants" and not "essentials." They did it successfully without GPS, so a GPS simply cannot be "essential." As many have noted, just a boat, sails, rudder, food and water are the true essentials.

So it is necessary to properly define the word "essential" because everyone seems to have a different concept of what it is. For some, beer is essential? What about spirituality? Slocum and Chichester had their own version of that, it seems.

So what is the definition of essential? I donīt know! What does the dictionary say? We have sailed offshore in a 16ī Hobie, over the horizon and heading for a small atoll on the GBR with a plastic compass from a cornflakes packet and no GPS. We took flour, water, fish hooks, tarp and a lighter. One set of clothes. Nothing else. Seemed rough but ok and we made it back fine. Ha ha!

Anyway, now we are a family on a multi-year trip across the Caribbean and Pacific. Scanning through your list, I can see that the following items are not on our boat, but they are on the list of essentials. But that is just because we have our own specific idea of what is "essential". And your mileage WILL vary.

Our non-list which is on the CF list

EPIRB (but we have a SPOT)
Radar reflector - just gave it the flotation test last week after not being able to give it away free to any other cruiser
Emergency watermaker
Wet weather gear (sail in the tropics, not high latitudes)
No harness per sailor (that is excessive, not essential. 1 harness for foredeck work is enough, other people stay in the cockpit and operate sheets, helm etc. Use a rope in an emergency for 2 people of the foredeck)
No emergency nav lights (plenty of cruisers out here sail with no nav lights but you wonīt see them admit it here)
No whisker pole
No storm jib

A list of "essential" qualities in a house or a life partner will create the same long debate about the definition of essential. Such is the beauty of the differences between us all.

Fair winds caressing all your voyages to everyone!!

Old 10-04-2012, 22:23   #123

What is essential is

1. attitude
2. seamanship

And you still might die anyway!
Old 10-04-2012, 22:41   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Jimbo- about the whisker pole: do you have a Spinnaker pole, boathook, a pole for the jib or any pole that you use for retrieving things on the water (MOB help?) that is what our combination pole has become. I would say that if you make a harness out of rope, it is still a harness. Maybe some extra rope should be on the essentials list.
That is 3 strikes for the Radar Reflector and the Emergency Watermaker, so they go off the essentials list and on the the optional list. Hey, made some progress tonight! SPOT was added as a alternative to EPRIB.
I am also going to combine the self steering. Windvane, Autopilot and Sheet to tiller steering all preform one function. They allow the boat to steer itself. One of them (personal preference ) is needed.
Also anchor management can be condensed. Windlass, electric or mechanical, or gloves with with anchor roller and chain catch are all acceptable, as well as having a short chain rode and putting the rope rode around a grinder.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35   #125

Jimbo, be careful of implying that you dont need a harness if you are in the cockpit. My love of sailing would have ended on our first cruise if it wasnt for a safety harness. A moderate night in Mexico, beam reaching in light seas, I was below asleep when we were hit with a big wave that knocked us flat and washed the wife out of the cockpit and headed for the rail. Her harness came up tight just before the rail. We hove to for the rest of the night. In the morning we discovered that she had big bruises on her legs that matched the outlines of our cockpit winches. This was in conditions no worse than the average afternoon sail in San Francisco bay. No big waves before or after that one wave. Dont assume that you dont need a harness in the cockpit._____Grant.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38   #126

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Jimbo, be careful of implying that you dont need a harness if you are in the cockpit. My love of sailing would have ended on our first cruise if it wasnt for a safety harness. A moderate night in Mexico, beam reaching in light seas, I was below asleep when we were hit with a big wave that knocked us flat and washed the wife out of the cockpit and headed for the rail. Her harness came up tight just before the rail. We hove to for the rest of the night. In the morning we discovered that she had big bruises on her legs that matched the outlines of our cockpit winches. This was in conditions no worse than the average afternoon sail in San Francisco bay. No big waves before or after that one wave. Dont assume that you dont need a harness in the cockpit._____Grant.
Thank you for sharing that Grant...I heard you LOUD AND CLEAR!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51   #127
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well to some it will be beer or rum to others a good book or an instrument to play on. In any case do not go sailing without the little pleasures.

b.

ditto. For me a loaded up Kindle, and an electric fiddle with headphones.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56   #128
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK, maybe now I understand:

A) Newt's lists: you can do without most of the items (which ones - person specific),

B) to add:
- good supply of toilet paper - essential!

b.

or a 12 v. pressure washer with a short wand.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58   #129
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
ditto. For me a loaded up Kindle, and an electric fiddle with headphones.
I can't imagine cruising without at least one guitar. A couple years ago I acquired a Washburn Rover travel guitar, mostly because I could cram it into a drybag and lash it to the back of a sea kayak. So now both the Martin and the Washburn want to cruise with me.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49   #130

I hear ya, lads. On a normal boat in severe conditions you want a harness in the cockpit. I got slammed into a cockpit winch from a 25' wave and the winch saved me from going over the side. But that was a normal boat.

Our current boat is not normal. Horses for courses.

It's a good list but we would move about 50% of it from essential to optional. Even though we have most of it aboard (and plenty of stuff not on the list), we recognise that it is optional and we have taken up the option to have it. But not essential.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:28   #131
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I can't imagine cruising without at least one guitar. A couple years ago I acquired a Washburn Rover travel guitar, mostly because I could cram it into a drybag and lash it to the back of a sea kayak. So now both the Martin and the Washburn want to cruise with me.

sanity is an essential cruising item and for me a guitar strikes that chord, oh sad pun eh?

For me at least , my wife might disagree after hours of playing the same riff over and over

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37   #132

We were not in anywhere near severe conditions when we were hit by that wave. It was a nice sail with only a little bit of spray. Dont get complacent just because it is not blowing a gale. My delivery crews all got used to wearing harnesses. I plan to arrive in port with the same crew I departed with. I believe that ocean racing rules require harnesses for everyone on board. Even tho I dont race I consider that a very good requirement.Enough of my rant._____Grant.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:49   #133

Boat: Past: H25, P26, C&C27; Future: The Black Pearl
Send a message via Skype™ to rlaribee

As for toilet paper: Traveling in Asia made me realize the majority of the world doesn't use TP. Living in Iraq taught me how to use water instead of TP, and once I became use to it, I found I preferred it for MANY reasons. The advantages are many, not the least of which is disposal. (Someday when I move back to the US I will have bidets installed in the toilets.)
Old 11-04-2012, 13:07   #134
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

oh hail. ima gonna DIE!!!! i dont even have half of those things on those lists--i have some audacity going cruising ....oh well... some shark will eat good for a day.....
who is SANE???? we are in the ocean on small boats...rofl...
DONT forget the GOOD tp and paper towels....
oh, and my boat is not normal , so i dont have to worry ... tooo much--at least she aint sinking anymore..LOL
cable cutters, hacksaw and a hatchet....bbq, fishing gear....most important stuff.
and i have a silent alarm named bubba daboatkat. he feels he is most important thing next to autopilot
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:11   #135

Boat: Past: H25, P26, C&C27; Future: The Black Pearl
Send a message via Skype™ to rlaribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh hail. ima gonna DIE!!!! i dont even have half of those things on those lists--i have some audacity going cruising ....oh well... some shark will eat good for a day.....
Well, if you're expecting to die, you should update your will. I have a suggestion about to whom to leave your boat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: