Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2010, 15:25   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Can't think of anything I gave up to go cruising

Hi

Larry and I set off cruising when I was 24, he was 29. We didn't own anything but my pink rambler and his 15 year old ford pick up truck. Seraffyn was the first home we owned. It was truly exciting to have built her and to have a home that was free and clear of any debt. To us, we weren't giving up anything except having to work 50 weeks a year and have only 2 week holidays. Interestingly, I think I built a better relationship with my family by going off cruising than I would if I'd stayed at home. We did work to include them in my life by inviting them to join us when they could and by making sure we had quality time together when we delivered a boat back to the US.

What we gained was immense.

But to those who have a large comfortable house, long term jobs, large social circles, it is probably hard to get over the question of "what am I giving up. If this does concern you , maybe it is better to plan just a six month or year long cruise at first. Get out and see how it fits, then come home and decide if you want to make a longer term committment. We talk about this in the first chapter of Cost Conscious Cruiser which I think you can read completely on Google books - because yes, we too feel, the costs of cruising include more than just cash.

Lin Pardey
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 15:39   #32

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Oh my GAWD! When I first read the screen name, I was sure it was somebody being a smarta$$...but no, it really is Lin Pardey! Lin, I want to thank you for everything you have contributed towards my knowledge of cruising. I've read your books, watched your videos, and seen ya lecture once or twice. I love your approach toward sensible cruising, and really enjoy your writings. Please relay my appreciation to Larry too, and it's simply awesome to have you aboard! Thanks again, Chris

What's next? Is Joshua Slocum gonna join too?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 16:05   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I would think we need to give a hearty thank you to the moderators who have managed to keep the flamers and trolls at bay so that CF can be a semi-serious, informative, and cogent forum. This allows for a level of constructive contributions that will attract some serious senior experienced contributors who can feel that their contributions are of value rather than fodder for flamers.
- - I too am a serious fan of the Pardeys and think there is a lot of in-depth experience that can be passed to the cruisers-to-be and assist them in getting a realistic idea of what the life-style is about and how to go about it. The decimal point in the dollar cost per year may be sliding over a notch or two, but the human cost/rewards of the lifestyle remain constant.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:27   #34
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
... The decimal point in the dollar cost per year may be sliding over a notch or two, but the human cost/rewards of the lifestyle remain constant...
But please, slow down those notches just a wee bit? I want to get out there too before it's too late!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote