Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 05:13   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: The changing face of cruising in the Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
As always, I will assess the real risk and try to ignore the perceived risk. How many people cruising in the Med have been injured or killed by terrorists over the past 20 years? As far as I am aware, ZERO. Please correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, there are hundreds of other risks that much more worthy of being concerned about while cruising the Med. A random example is Dysentery. The chances of getting it are high, maybe 1 in 100. 1 in 1000 die from it. So 1 in 100,000 chance of it killing you on your cruise. Just one example.

Why are some people so fixated on being attacked by terrorists?

I have no intention of changing my plans to cruise the coast of Turkey this summer, despite all the scaremongering.

And yes - I do have a basic knowledge of what is going on in the area; having spent the majority of the past eight years in Iraq and Libya.
Seems you missed the point altogether. But thats ok.

Its NOT A FIXATION ON BEING ATTACKED!

Military vessels are being increased in the area for patrol. the U.S. presence is being upgraded, and the situation is changing. It will only take you 40 minutes doing some research to establish that. You will also see that the lines drawn are standard no go areas in the time of conflict for commercial and leisure vessels.

Im not seeing what is so hard to understand here. The Military presence and actual vessels in the water are a logistic fact.

There is a huge problem for the West on two fronts as they see it, Russias growing presence and the continued action of Moslem groups. (Not to mention Israel and its issues) Enough for Europe and the USA to commit military hardware to the area. There would appear to be an inability for Moslem countries to contain I.S. or whatever name the groups use, and, it would seem, Intelligence gathered makes it important to have troops on boats and boats with armaments in the coastal regions. Let us not forget the migrant traffic clogging the area with refugees as well.

Now if you think that this will not lead to segregated traffic lanes, then you will have a surprise waiting for you.

There is no presumption on my part to know all the reasons for increased military......... but I do know there is increased military and that given the start of I.S. operations in the countries and atrocities being perpetrated, its all going to change. Military tend not to like commercial or leisure vessels in their way if they decide to engage.

Telling us that you lived and worked in Libya and Iraq for 8 years is like saying you lived and worked in Chernobyl and it was lovely. But after the explosion it all changed forever. (Not to mention Iraq is changing internally now)

Yemen is about to be invaded by Egypt from........ boats.

I dont think its scaremongering. Im not scared, Im angry and disappointed and sad. Its all changing and no one asked our permission.

Politics and fundamentalism that interferes with rights of others suck.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 05:28   #122
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The changing face of cruising in the Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I dont think its scaremongering. Im not scared, Im angry and disappointed and sad. Its all changing and no one asked our permission.

Politics and fundamentalism that interferes with rights of others suck.
Now your getting a sense of how its been for smokers...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 05:31   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Im not biting....
Old 27-03-2015, 08:13   #124

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Im not biting....
Don't you mean you aren't smoking?

Or maybe you are smoking but realise the danger of terrorist death is far more prevalent?

Has anyone ever worked out how many people have been killed by anchors?

Apparently one unlucky woman was killed by a big leopard stingray jumping out of the water which snapped her spine.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:22   #125
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Don't you mean you aren't smoking?

Or maybe you are smoking but realise the danger of terrorist death is far more prevalent?

Has anyone ever worked out how many people have been killed by anchors?

Apparently one unlucky woman was killed by a big leopard stingray jumping out of the water which snapped her spine.
At least 1 free diver (checking their hook) a year has a near miss in the Ballearic's as the charterers come in.. tho' their prop chops pretty dodgey as well as they head straight for shore in the RIB's 30secs after dropping the hook...
Take care Noelex... your kinky.. but be aware..
the idiots are above u

Old 27-03-2015, 08:25   #126

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Seems you missed the point altogether. But thats ok.

Its NOT A FIXATION ON BEING ATTACKED!

Military vessels are being increased in the area for patrol. the U.S. presence is being upgraded, and the situation is changing. It will only take you 40 minutes doing some research to establish that. You will also see that the lines drawn are standard no go areas in the time of conflict for commercial and leisure vessels.

Im not seeing what is so hard to understand here. The Military presence and actual vessels in the water are a logistic fact.

There is a huge problem for the West on two fronts as they see it, Russias growing presence and the continued action of Moslem groups. (Not to mention Israel and its issues) Enough for Europe and the USA to commit military hardware to the area. There would appear to be an inability for Moslem countries to contain I.S. or whatever name the groups use, and, it would seem, Intelligence gathered makes it important to have troops on boats and boats with armaments in the coastal regions. Let us not forget the migrant traffic clogging the area with refugees as well. ...
Yes, I agree that a huge problem has been created on the Middle east and North Africa and it seems to me new policies are needed to deal with it but in what concerns cruising boats, that normally stay out of the North African coasts, I believe the impact would be close to nil.

It remains the problem of Tunisia that was a touristic destination for cruising boats. I have no doubt that the Tunisian authorities will make everything in their power to warrant the security of cruising boats and the security of tourists but it is also true that Tunisia has borders with Libya were the situation is very unstable.

Possibly the Tunisians will control the situation but obviously a cruiser there can experience some risks that would be avoided in Croatia, Balearic Islands, Italy or Greece where the possibilities of a terrorist attack will not be bigger than anywhere on US or Europe, meaning possible, but very small.

On the all the med, particularly the cruising grounds, will remain one of the safest cruising areas in the world, at least for the time being.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:56   #127

On a side note it seems to me the chances of picking up a drowning refugee (or 10) are larger, so what do you do?

They are going to be nice gentle people (99% YMMV) but not want to be passed over to authorities. Clearly you can't just smuggle them somewhere but also some places would be worse than others (side note to EU immigration laws ).

Is it law that you should immediately declare people on international waters in such situations and have whatever coastal guard take them? Obviously you have to alert whoever the hell you can to a boat sinking.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:58   #128

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
So for 2014/2015:

The new Travellers' Choice #1 Destination in the world is Marrakech, Morocco.

It is a magical place, brimming with markets, gardens, palaces, and mosques. Exploring the intimate courtyards and snaking alleyways of the historic Medina can easily eat up a day. Find inner peace at the serene Jardin Majorelle or take in the beauty of one of the city’s historic mosques (taking note that you may only step inside if you are Muslim).

For the ones that are on the med and want to have a taste of Morocco practically with no risks (even if Morocco itself has very little problems with fundamentalists and like Tunisia is still a relatively safe country) you can go to Ceuta, a Spanish city on the North African coast. The City has a nice ambiance and a good marina.

There you will be approached (in your boat) by an Arab that runs a tour business from the Marina to Marrocos. He works directly with the authorities and you don't need a visa and if European, neither a passport. It is not expensive and the visit includes a lunch on a traditional pace with music and a relatively long visit to the near by Tetouan and a more rapid visit to Tanger.

Just Tetouan is well worth the visit: the city that was for a long time used has a pirate base has a well preserved Medina (old city center) and belongs to the list of Unesco World Heritage.

Medina of Tetouan - Tetouan - Reviews of Medina of Tetouan - TripAdvisor
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:27   #129
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On a side note it seems to me the chances of picking up a drowning refugee (or 10) are larger, so what do you do?

They are going to be nice gentle people (99% YMMV) but not want to be passed over to authorities. Clearly you can't just smuggle them somewhere but also some places would be worse than others (side note to EU immigration laws ).

Is it law that you should immediately declare people on international waters in such situations and have whatever coastal guard take them? Obviously you have to alert whoever the hell you can to a boat sinking.
Should one run across a drifting boat or people in the water clinging to an upturned hull I personally would do in this sequence
1/ Put out a PAN PAN RELAY on the VHF on the various channels used by authorities and shipping in that area..
2/ stand off and circle the situation at around 250metres then pass on a head count Live/Dead and urgency of assistance and local weather conditions.
3/ throw life jackets, flotation, dinghy to the folks in the water along with a few plastic bottles half full of water for rehydration.
Then continue to stand off providing updates to the authorities till they arrive or a larger vessel appears and I am no longer required.. back on course, set sails.. next stop Sardinia..
No way would I let anyone board..
I won't trust anyone tough enough and desperate enough to get there in the first place..

Old 27-03-2015, 09:36   #130

Quote:

No way would I let anyone board..
I won't trust anyone tough enough and desperate enough to get there in the first place..

Ok, so for fun can I ask if you see a woman and child clinging to a milk carton in obvious stress, are you going to stand off?
Old 27-03-2015, 09:39   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ok, so for fun can I ask if you see a woman and child clinging to a milk carton in obvious stress, are you going to stand off?
What kind of milk is it?
Old 27-03-2015, 09:43   #132

Quote:
No sympathy from me. I'd be tickled pink if there was an 'open season' when folks like me who suffer from, feel like we're under assault every time someone lights up, to off the buggers. Smart landmines that sensed cigarette smokers would be welcome too.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:49   #133

Quote:
What kind of milk is it?
Clearly I have expressed empathetic tendencies so light, extra processed, powdered soy.

But seriously this must be going on more than terrorist attack on cruisers.
Old 27-03-2015, 09:52   #134
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If there a dozen men swimming around in proximity.. did not know one could buy milk cartons that size.. but.. it adds to the pathos.. Okay
I'd do the life jacket.. life ring act.. damned right.
Been to many bad places to let moralistic PC crap affect or influence my survival.. and in the long run theirs..
Try being at a crowded bus stop in Africa or India when the bus your waiting for arrives..
Then transfer that scene accompanied by fear and panic and zero knowledge of how ballast works.. as they claw and fight their way on board..
No.. you fill yer liberal boots.. I'll stick to ruthless bastard thank you...

Old 27-03-2015, 09:55   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
No sympathy from me. I'd be tickled pink if there was an 'open season' when folks like me who suffer from, feel like we're under assault every time someone lights up, to off the buggers. Smart landmines that sensed cigarette smokers would be welcome too.
You'd likely Start smoking if an anti smoking thread started..

Tags
cruising