Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-03-2015, 10:56   #136
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: The changing face of cruising in the Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Furthermore, I am not a desk jockey when it comes to the Med. I have involvement in medical clinics in Mallorca and the Spanish mainland and up till very recently have owned property in Mallorca since 1982. I am an advisor to a medical group in Greece and recently contributed to a decision to relocate outside of Greece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
And yes - I do have a basic knowledge of what is going on in the area; having spent the majority of the past eight years in Iraq and Libya.
Quote:
Telling us that you lived and worked in Libya and Iraq for 8 years is like saying you lived and worked in Chernobyl and it was lovely. But after the explosion it all changed forever. (Not to mention Iraq is changing internally now)
That is hilarious.

Weavis, really, cruising the Med could get 10 times more dangerous than it is now and still be safer than cruising the Caribbean. I'll still suggest you should actually try cruising and then offer a lecture on it's safety.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 11:03   #137

Boat: laser 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If there a dozen men swimming around in proximity.. did not know one could buy milk cartons that size.. but.. it adds to the pathos.. Okay
I'd do the life jacket.. life ring act.. damned right.
Been to many bad places to let moralistic PC crap affect or influence my survival.. and in the long run theirs..
Try being at a crowded bus stop in Africa or India when the bus your waiting for arrives..
Then transfer that scene accompanied by fear and panic and zero knowledge of how ballast works.. as they claw and fight their way on board..
No.. you fill yer liberal boots.. I'll stick to ruthless bastard thank you...
I agree when you are talking about your own safety and likely there could be 100's of people.

I am confused in regards to the sailor helps others at sea ethos, where does that end?

Old 27-03-2015, 11:08   #138

Quote:
You'd likely Start smoking if an anti smoking thread started..
Ya got that right. Both barrels blazing away, smoke, brimstone and fire!
Old 27-03-2015, 11:13   #139

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Ok, so for fun can I ask if you see a woman and child clinging to a milk carton in obvious stress, are you going to stand off?
That's the kind of thing you cannot rationalize. It is very hard to know what one would do, I don't know if I would overcome the fear, take the risks and just help people that is desperate and dying, probably yes.

Don't know what I would do for sure but I am proud of the cruising community that many times had taken the risks and just taken everybody aboard. I have read several accounts and truth be said in none of the cases the refuges took any aggressive action to their saviors, quite the contrary they were extremely grateful to be saved from certain death.

These are the only ones I can find on the net but I read a lot more on sailing magazines. Remember a guy with an Oceanis 50 that saved plenty of them.

Tesco boss saves lives of Libya refugees by hauling them on board his 500k luxury yacht | Daily Mail Online

Couple Spends Millions To Save Migrants In The Mediterranean : Parallels : NPR
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 11:26   #140
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: The changing face of cruising in the Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I agree when you are talking about your own safety and likely there could be 100's of people.

I am confused in regards to the sailor helps others at sea ethos, where does that end?
It ends when giving assistance is likely to risk more folks in the water.. if 6 to 8 LJ's, horse shoe, all decent sized cushions on the boat plus the ones that can fit in and around the dinghy are insufficient.. there's still even more and your on a 35ftr..
Okay.. some may die but your there to nurse and nuture those still alive with food and water.. the risk of losing the boat is to real in my mind.. very young kids could be taken on board.. carefully.
I don't chose who lives and who dies.. they do.. and their god.
On the one hand folk panic about Water Winged Islamists.. then the next minute its 'Thats a bit Harsh.'
No.. its living in the Real World..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 11:38   #141

Boat: laser 2

Quote:

On the one hand folk panic about Water Winged Islamists.. then the next minute its 'Thats a bit Harsh.'
No.. its living in the Real World..
[/FONT]
Yes, apparently that is the nature of the world.

And in a similar vein the fact that if I was floating around in the ocean and a sailboat crossed the horizon with you aboard I know I'd be in good hands, even after your comments
Old 27-03-2015, 12:30   #142
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Seems you missed the point altogether. But thats ok.

Its NOT A FIXATION ON BEING ATTACKED!
Maybe, but I think you are seriously overreacting

Quote:
Military vessels are being increased in the area for patrol. the U.S. presence is being upgraded, and the situation is changing. It will only take you 40 minutes doing some research to establish that. You will also see that the lines drawn are standard no go areas in the time of conflict for commercial and leisure vessels

The evidence does not suggest it is happening to the extent you claim, ( as for what US presence )

Quote:
There is a huge problem for the West on two fronts as they see it, Russias growing presence and the continued action of Moslem groups. (Not to mention Israel and its issues) Enough for Europe and the USA to commit military hardware to the area. There would appear to be an inability for Moslem countries to contain I.S. or whatever name the groups use, and, it would seem, Intelligence gathered makes it important to have troops on boats and boats with armaments in the coastal regions. Let us not forget the migrant traffic clogging the area with refugees as well.
Russia is engaged in a little local adventure, Im not too worried.

ISIL ( IS) will be militarily derated within the next 12 months. what pops up after that will be hard to predict , but Jihadism in one form or another is not going away thats for sure

Quote:
Now if you think that this will not lead to segregated traffic lanes, then you will have a surprise waiting for you.
Thats a huge leap into the dark , no evidence

Quote:
There is no presumption on my part to know all the reasons for increased military......... but I do know there is increased military and that given the start of I.S. operations in the countries and atrocities being perpetrated, its all going to change. Military tend not to like commercial or leisure vessels in their way if they decide to engage.
No real evidence to suggest your contention of any expected water based Med conflict .

Quote:
I dont think its scaremongering. Im not scared, Im angry and disappointed and sad. Its all changing and no one asked our permission.
Its is scaremongering.

Quote:
Politics and fundamentalism that interferes with rights of others suck.
Thats been going in since man raised himself up onto two legs
Old 27-03-2015, 12:42   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Hey there's a movie in this somewhere: scene one : pan to a skinny floating in the ocean clinging onto a big milk carton..Boater approaches said skinny ; "You look hunger let me pull you into my nice sailboat".."thanks" says the skinny, "dont drop my milk carton" "i wont says the boater" "where do you want to go to asks the boater?".. "Anywhere but Mogadishu" reply's the skinny .."OK Im heading to NY myself" replys the boater..Perfect replys the skinny I have relatives in Minnosota I will make my way west from NY...Cut to big skyscraper and boat pulling into New York harbor : I like that big building says the skinny ," hand me my big milk carton please ,dont drop it and thanks for the lift "..Moments later BOOM and another skinny bites the dust as our hero flies in on a paraglider, scoops up the skinny (while wearing only a yellow thong) drops him into the drink just as the dirty nuke disgusied as a big milk carton explodes..The end .. I will make millions I tell you, what a story..
Old 27-03-2015, 13:06   #144
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

one one ARC crossing a few years ago, I was listening on the VHF to two boats in effect being chased by a Africian refugee boat that had missed the Canaries and knew they would die, That was one terrified mono hull yacht , the faster cat was able to out drag the refugee boat

I fully agree with Boatman, personally I would pick up one or two on their own, but no more.
Old 27-03-2015, 14:07   #145

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Weavis, I have to congratulate you. You are the first one who has finally been able to show me a good looking cat! It looks pretty nice--any connection because of the Mallorca shots?

As for the other stuff, I suspect there may be more security & build up in the Med but will still be sailing Spanish waters. I have no doubt the vast majority of the Med is far safer than the Caribbean.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 14:16   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Weavis, I have to congratulate you. You are the first one who has finally been able to show me a good looking cat! It looks pretty nice--any connection because of the Mallorca shots?

As for the other stuff, I suspect there may be more security & build up in the Med but will still be sailing Spanish waters. I have no doubt the vast majority of the Med is far safer than the Caribbean.
Oh yes..
The Tag 60 is beautiful. It makes me gaze longingly at it..

As for sailing in the Spanish waters....... I did recall putting a red line where it will be considered risky to sail in due course........ I will still be sailing in the Med myself....... above the line.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 15:33   #147

Boat: First 45f5

Always in your bord: kroissanikov, for Mars attack...The boatman61 lesson's How to do step by step is requested.
Old 27-03-2015, 15:42   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baabs View Post
Always in your bord: kroissanikov, for Mars attack...The boatman61 lesson's How to do step by step is requested.
Shhh! Not here baabs! Please.!
See you in France in a few days.....

go!

weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 15:53   #149
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Hey there's a movie in this somewhere: scene one : pan to a skinny floating in the ocean clinging onto a big milk carton..Boater approaches said skinny ; "You look hunger let me pull you into my nice sailboat".."thanks" says the skinny, "dont drop my milk carton" "i wont says the boater" "where do you want to go to asks the boater?".. "Anywhere but Mogadishu" reply's the skinny .."OK Im heading to NY myself" replys the boater..Perfect replys the skinny I have relatives in Minnosota I will make my way west from NY...Cut to big skyscraper and boat pulling into New York harbor : I like that big building says the skinny ," hand me my big milk carton please ,dont drop it and thanks for the lift "..Moments later BOOM and another skinny bites the dust as our hero flies in on a paraglider, scoops up the skinny (while wearing only a yellow thong) drops him into the drink just as the dirty nuke disgusied as a big milk carton explodes..The end .. I will make millions I tell you, what a story..

I'm going to need new meds
Old 27-03-2015, 16:01   #150
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm going to need new meds
I thought you would like that..I need a partner by the way and a best boy grip (I don't believe I just wrote that!) ...Going to win an Oscar,I just know it..

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: