Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 06:25   #61

Re: The Answer to How much it Costs to Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ann,
I keep running the numbers over and over. Unless something catastrophic happens like losing the boat in a Hurricane, we will be fine, we weren't born with silver spoons in our mouth and for the most part live pretty frugally. We might could lose the boat actually, but sure hope we don't have to face that. Lord knows getting this one like I want her has become more work that I thought, I don't want to have to repeat that.

Geographic's like has been noted play a large part into costs, as well as the boat of course. Also how much actual cruising your doing as opposed to living on a boat in one location. But even then there seems to be a couple of major different divisions in cruisers. One will cruise for a set time or cruise until the kitty is used up and then return to work, and then there are the ones like us, when we cut the lines, returning to work really isn't much of an option based on our age and professions.

It does seems to come down to it will cost what you have to spend, which is sort of like living on land when I think of it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Plus, people have catastrophic financial disasters on a regular basis, living on land, too. There is no sure thing in life.

And, as I noted before, whenever I see someone killed at an early age in a car crash, or something, I always wonder, "What did he or she think was their biggest potential problem a week ago?"

You can "what if?" life to death, and still never foresee the problem that actually does you in, financially, or otherwise. How many people worrying about a financial problem if they go sailing, are one layoff notice away from financial disaster anyway? Even with savings. Only one thing is sure about life for certain. Nobody gets out alive, and no matter how much money you have, you can't take it with you.
Old 16-02-2015, 16:43   #62

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
This discussion, like all the earlier cost of sailing/boat discussions are of interest ... "real", interest to so many boaters, while at the same time, almost worthless.

One cannot even begin to compare a 40' motoryacht to a 28' sailboat and a single frugal sailor to a person with almost all the money he/she could ever need, to sail.

Still, it's all good data ... it's just that the data, as good as it is is worthless the the majority of viewer.

To make this truly worthwhile, one would almost have to begin threads setting up various parameters, involving how big a boat ... how new a boat(a new boat might costs $2000 per year for insurance only), whether the sailor likes beans and rice, or caviar ... I could go on and on.

BUT as it is one of a frugal nature(like me), has to read through scads of 40'+ boats with no spending limits before I finally read the post that involves another single sailor, in a small sailboat, who's willing to forego many of the things that we consider frivilous.

Again ... I'm not denying that ALL the data given is good ... it is.

All the data given is very usable too...

But I venture to say the conglomerate postings of vastly different situations, leads to a sense of ... not being able to see the forest for the trees

Maybe a place to begin would be dividing up sailors with lots and lots of available money from ones with truly "fixed", incomes ... and sailors with really big boats(especially with BIG payments and BIG insurance bills), from those with more modest boats, with more modest(or none), boat payments and liability only insurance

Maybe just a breakdown of income only ...($0 to $12000) ...($12000 to $24000) ... and on and on.

At least then I would know I'm spending my time reading about other sailors who are roughly in my general situation ... or not.
As I read the last few entries on this thread, I can't help but think people are over analyzing the data and trying to say that my example is not typical and that too many variables exist to get an idea if somebody else could use the data that I am collecting.

There is no reason to divide up sailors based on their income, or how new the boat is, or how frugal they are or are not. I tend to believe that my example is more beneficial to the couple that wants to buy a catamaran and get away from the office - not to the solo sailor that spends less than $500 per month....and especially since that sailor already knows what he spends his money on.

And that's the deal....this information was only for the ones that want to know what I've spent during my first month of cruising - on a catamaran with 4 adults....and while my example may not be typical, it seems to me that just about everybody I see that is trying to leave the rat race, wants to buy a catamaran and sail the world. Most are upper middle class and are looking to buy a used catamaran - and you're right, my expense list would be worthless to the single handed sailor that wants to cruise the world on a 33 foot monohull - but that's not who would find my list helpful.

The easiest thing to do is post your expenses - just raw data about where your money was spent. There doesn't need to be qualifiers about how much you owe on the boat, what your income is, how you live and eat, etc... just post the data and everybody else can decide for themselves if they can use that information or not.

All the stuff about long term costs or short term costs or depreciation of the boat, etc. doesn't matter for the ones that are wanting to know where the money goes - you can look at the list and figure out for yourselves what to exclude from the normal monthly costs and what is a one time cost.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 18:26   #63

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
I kinda figure mine is probably a more accurate account and a little more typical than your particular example. If someone were to ask you, "How much does it cost to cruise" and you told them zero - I don't see how that helps anybody get an idea of what it actually costs.
Probably because nobody knows how much it costs to cruise. All they know is how much it costs THEM to cruise, and even that is usually not very accurate in a true accounting sense. All we can do is read other peoples accounts of what it cost them to cruise. What it costs anyone else to cruise will be different. For one thing not everyone who publishes their costs is including every last thing, including depreciation (something they can't reasonably calculate anyway). I find it interesting to read what other people spend but it's just that, interesting. Like Einstein said, 'The cost of cruising is relative to the observer'.

Having said that, we spend less than $1000 a month in the Bahamas. And that includes eating out and occasional marina stays.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 19:45   #64

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Sorry but much of this is just plain silly. People a quoting cruising budgets greater than the income of about 80% of the worlds population and saying it would be doable - Just!
I saw people in the Caribbean spend what to the locals would earn in a week on a restaurant meal. We went to the local village an had a wonderful meal of fresh local produce with great music and atmosphere for about $3US.
I have Known people run a boat for less than $1000US per year. How? No marinas, no electronics, simple boat and do all your own maintenance, don't haul out, do bottom work on the beach. Would it be practical for most of you? absolutely not.
If you have grown up in North America living the richest lifestyle in the world you have no way of even conceiving what life is like for people from other, poorer cultures. Doesn't mean they don't go sailing for fun sometimes.
The great thing about cruising is that, if you keep your eyes and minds open, you just might find out!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 14:44   #65

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Sorry but much of this is just plain silly. People a quoting cruising budgets greater than the income of about 80% of the worlds population and saying it would be doable - Just!
I saw people in the Caribbean spend what to the locals would earn in a week on a restaurant meal. We went to the local village an had a wonderful meal of fresh local produce with great music and atmosphere for about $3US.
I have Known people run a boat for less than $1000US per year. How? No marinas, no electronics, simple boat and do all your own maintenance, don't haul out, do bottom work on the beach. Would it be practical for most of you? absolutely not.
If you have grown up in North America living the richest lifestyle in the world you have no way of even conceiving what life is like for people from other, poorer cultures. Doesn't mean they don't go sailing for fun sometimes.
The great thing about cruising is that, if you keep your eyes and minds open, you just might find out!
There is definitely a cost bell curve. The question is... what does that bell curve look like? I think we all agree that the standard deviation (width) of the curve (the cost) is quite large. There are also outliers due to misfortune and other odd circumstances.

However, when someone is asking "how much does it cost to cruise" its my opinion that they are asking "what's the center" (rep. cost at zero deviation) and the peak (total number of cruisers) of that curve.

I'd guess that any poll we take on this forum would represent a filtered set of data... probably not too many billionaires or favela dwellers reading threads on the cost to cruise. However, this filtering doesn't matter because by posting on the forum they are, for the most part within the peak of the bell curve.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 14:57   #66

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
There is definitely a cost bell curve. The question is... what does that bell curve look like? I think we all agree that the standard deviation (width) of the curve (the cost) is quite large. There are also outliers due to misfortune and other odd circumstances.

However, when someone is asking "how much does it cost to cruise" its my opinion that they are asking "what's the center" (rep. cost at zero deviation) and the peak (total number of cruisers) of that curve.

I'd guess that any poll we take on this forum would represent a filtered set of data... probably not too many billionaires or favela dwellers reading threads on the cost to cruise. However, this filtering doesn't matter because by posting on the forum they are, for the most part within the peak of the bell curve.
Im sure it's really cheep for you with no boat.. cruising if not a second place to be homeless for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 14:42   #67

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Im sure it's really cheep for you with no boat..
Exactly, I don't see any dhow or megayacht owners here on CF (well maybe the american version of a dhow). So when two dozen people say it costs between 25 and 35 K a year, its a pretty good bet that this IS a representative sample for the person asking "how much does it cost".

The question is sometimes phrased "how little can I cruise for" which is a different question altogether.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:27   #68

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We just finished our costs for last year and will shortly put out what it has cost us for the past 6 years. We are sailing the Med so we did a bit of inland travel visiting 4 countries not attached to water as well as traveling to countries where we went in, spent a bit more time in marinas than we would prefer, had shoulder surgery and had to buy a new main sail among other things. We sailed over 3,000nm, had over 30 ports of call, and were out 6 months but we are full time on board so we spent 6 months wintering over.

Our average monthly cost was $3,493.

If someone can give me a hand i will put out our 6 years of data by % by catagory but it is in excel and i last time i put it out most folks could not see it. If you can help please pm. thanks
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:19   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Wow! That's sort of sad!

Other folks can have a home, cars, cook outs, go to the movies, the gym, do running/triathlon events, and have a sailboat for weekend and day sailing for about same amount of money.
Your are kidding right.....
That's $42K per year so before taxes that's about a $55K/yr paycheck.
I don't know many folks making $55K/yr that have lived such a grand life in style.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:26   #70

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I know very few people making $45,000/yr who spend a couple months of each year touring around Mediterranean countries. And pay for their own major surgeries.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:33   #71

Boat: Bristol 27

Of course I'm not kidding. You don't have to have a new boat, car etc.

A new Jeep Grand Cherokee cost around $57,000. I've had 4 of them and they all cost less than that put together.

Are we learning yet?

My boat cost $2,000 and if I was a cruiser, it would probably be enough boat to go wherever I wanted.

I may cruise one day on this boat. But if I get bored with it, I'll have it pulled and leave it wherever and fly out to go cycling etc.

Well, I guess I go watch these videos I got at the library today. Oh, they are free at the library as long as you return them on time.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:37   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are we learning yet?.
Some yes....some no....
The issues a little more than the boat type and age my friend.
But you are talking to the king of cheap cruising and living currently on year 7 of the cheap adventure.
Old 20-02-2015, 16:44   #73

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Some yes....some no....
The issues a little more than the boat type and age my friend.
But you are talking to the king of cheap cruising and living currently on year 7 of the cheap adventure.
Well, maybe we need your numbers then.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:49   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, maybe we need your numbers then.
Ask and you shall receive.....every dollar spent on our 4yr Cruise of Mexico.
http://www.svthirdday.com/PDF/expenses.pdf
Old 20-02-2015, 17:43   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ask and you shall receive.....every dollar spent on our 4yr Cruise of Mexico.
http://www.svthirdday.com/PDF/expenses.pdf

Good lord, I thought I was cheap, but you have a family of 4 with those numbers. I bow to the master...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise