Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-03-2015, 07:56   #136

Re: The Answer to How much it Costs to Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You seem to be getting a bit passionate - All arguments are debatable that's why they are arguments.

Also every situation is unique. But a couple of truths (believe it or not) over time property appreciates. Over time boats don't.

Sure point out mortgage crises and market resets yada, yada, yada.

A boat behaves like a car - over time there is a residual value but it doesn't appreciate - ever (OK classic yachts aside). Real (dirt) property behaves like, well dirt property. They ain't making any more.

I made 3% per year on my house over the 9 years I owned it. I also "avoided" paying rent. I did pay a fair share of property taxes.

Ignore boat depreciation if you will. Your choice. Some people want to take house equity, buy a boat, cruise 5 years and think that 100% of the boat equity is available to re-buy a house when they are done. Good luck with that strategy is all I can say.

BTW - My brother refinanced after the crisis to a 15 year fixed at 3%. And yes I know how mortgage interest is loaded.

(Jeez I hate these cost of cruising threads that devolve into finance threads - I can always argue both sides - as can anyone and I am as much a part of the problem as anyone. Bottom line of How Much Does it Cost to Cruise is simply - How much do you have (Mic drop, Ex-Calif out))
To me, it's like asking someone "How much does it cost to go out and eat at a restaurant?"

That's a pretty simple question, but the answer is not going to be the same for everyone.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:01   #137

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Ok we agree that sailing costs more than staying home...but think of all the sights and experiences you would miss if you only had your back yard to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't think we agree on that at all. Many people find cruising to be much less expensive than staying at home on a cash flow per month basis.

The only time it gets a bit tricky is when people start trying to factor in the value of their home and the boat into it and trying to look at opportunity cost for cash, etc. Then it gets to be a very individual calculation.

In my case, I don't own real estate and my boat is 35 years old. I can truly ignore all of the above and look at the $5000 per month it takes me to live on land in one of the most expensive cities in the world vs the $1500-2000 it would take me to live on the boat in a third world country.

Of course, cost is only half of the equation. The other half is income. But that's a different thread.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:03   #138

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
To me, it's like asking someone "How much does it cost to go out and eat at a restaurant?"

That's a pretty simple question, but the answer is not going to be the same for everyone.
That is, bar none, the best analogy I've ever heard in this ongoing debate. I plan to rip it off and use it liberally.
Old 02-03-2015, 14:40   #139

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Ok we agree that sailing costs more than staying home...but think of all the sights and experiences you would miss if you only had your back yard to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't agree. When we're cruising it costs considerably less than staying home. Next time you have nothing to do, add up all the costs of a house and two cars. ALL the costs.
Old 02-03-2015, 15:22   #140
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Next time you have nothing to do, add up all the costs of a house and two cars. ALL the costs.
Compared to my gross income as a percent

house - 15%
boat - 14%

That was for 2014, which was a low cost boat year. The 2 prior years the boat cost more than my house.

And no this does not include any depreciation But then in the past 4 years since I got my boat the selling prices have increased
Old 02-03-2015, 15:53   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sailorboy,
I believe to get to the true cost difference, you have to add all the costs, like the automobiles, insurance, fuel, upkeep, water, sewage and utility bills, Cable TV, Internet, cell phones, Burglar alarm, pool, yard, and lord know what all else. My utility bill alone is considerably more than my slip rent for example.
I don't know about you, but the automobiles I believe cost more than the boat, but I do not track costs like you do, I'm the guy that knows I make X, and wonder where the Hell it all goes to, I add all the expenses and can't come up with X

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-03-2015, 16:05   #142
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sailorboy,
I believe to get to the true cost difference, you have to add all the costs, like the automobiles, insurance, fuel, upkeep, water, sewage and utility bills, Cable TV, Internet, cell phones, Burglar alarm, pool, yard, and lord know what all else.
I did, some people need smaller houses! This is my big picture spending break down

total saving 22%
spent on boat 14% (payments, use, maintenance, upgrades)
house 15% (payment, maintenance, taxes, utilities)
taxes/govt 22% (federal, social security, medicare)
everything else 26%

everything else includes: food, clothing, entertainment, eating out, car (low as it has been paid off a long time), vacation etc. etc.

Most people (including me) don't know where their money goes, but always wonders why they don't have any.
Old 02-03-2015, 16:09   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sailorboy,
I believe to get to the true cost difference, you have to add all the costs, like the automobiles, insurance, fuel, upkeep, water, sewage and utility bills, Cable TV, Internet, cell phones, Burglar alarm, pool, yard, and lord know what all else. My utility bill alone is considerably more than my slip rent for example.
I don't know about you, but the automobiles I believe cost more than the boat, but I do not track costs like you do, I'm the guy that knows I make X, and wonder where the Hell it all goes to, I add all the expenses and can't come up with X

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The problem with this is that many of your land based costs are also discretionary. I disabled the cable, I could arguably have no car, I could arguably have no electricity or gas and use whale blubber lamps and coleman stoves etc. etc.

Basically I could live under a bridge on land in a sleeping bag or cardboard box. I could also live under a bridge on water but I'd need a boat to do it...

Maybe a better analogy for boats is trailer park living or RVs.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 18:20   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I don't think we agree on that at all. Many people find cruising to be much less expensive than staying at home on a cash flow per month basis.

The only time it gets a bit tricky is when people start trying to factor in the value of their home and the boat into it and trying to look at opportunity cost for cash, etc. Then it gets to be a very individual calculation.

In my case, I don't own real estate and my boat is 35 years old. I can truly ignore all of the above and look at the $5000 per month it takes me to live on land in one of the most expensive cities in the world vs the $1500-2000 it would take me to live on the boat in a third world country.

Of course, cost is only half of the equation. The other half is income. But that's a different thread.
Where do you get your figures from. Third World and you think it would cost so much, you need to get out a bit. For instance Vanuatu may be third world but closer to 2nd world. You can eat out at the markets every day 2 cooked meals with drink $14. Open 6 days. If you buy your own produce less than $4 per day. Eat what the locals eat and if you drink the local beer you don't crook, well that what I reckon.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 18:43   #145

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I think this is why the Tiny House Movement is getting more popular. No doubt that if you lived in a Tiny House and subscribed to all that entails then it could be much cheaper to live on land....

What Is The Tiny House Movement? « The Tiny Life
Old 03-03-2015, 06:32   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The problem with this is that many of your land based costs are also discretionary. I disabled the cable, I could arguably have no car, I could arguably have no electricity or gas and use whale blubber lamps and coleman stoves etc. etc.

Basically I could live under a bridge on land in a sleeping bag or cardboard box. I could also live under a bridge on water but I'd need a boat to do it...

Maybe a better analogy for boats is trailer park living or RVs.
Hey, I've known New Yorkers in their 30's and 40's who not only have never owned a car, they have never even driven one. But, in most parts of the country, most people would say having a car is a necessity.

My brother has a cabin in Alaska. There are tons of cabins up there, that still don't have running water and or electricity. And, some of them go for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

There is always a tendency to look for a one size fits all solution to everything, when the truth is, people are different from each other in a lot of way, and in a lot of things.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:39   #147

Boat: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

I have read every posting. Fatastic. Thanks for sharing.

My parents coastal cruised a lot, especially in their later years and said the cost of cruising was pretty much the same as living ashore.

That led me to consider the question this way, does cruising cost more-- the same-- less than living in a house? And then there is the question of which is more satisfying? Which lifestyle has greater utility? A gardener won't find as much joy in cruising as will a windsurfer... for example.

Early in the thread a lot of complaints focused on the lack of long term data. My friend, Tim on Slick, is nearing the end of a three year circumnavigation. He addresses the "cost of cruising" in his inimitable way.

Mes Malo in Mahon, Menoirca, Spain | Slick's Adventure

That should be his September 2014 entry from Meniorca, Spain.

The rest of the blog is amusing too. Have fun.

Norm
Old 03-03-2015, 08:03   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I think this is why the Tiny House Movement is getting more popular. No doubt that if you lived in a Tiny House and subscribed to all that entails then it could be much cheaper to live on land....

What Is The Tiny House Movement? « The Tiny Life

I think your exactly correct, truth is average earnings or spendable income, buying power however it's correctly phrased is decreasing. Just about everything that can be done to prop it up from our Wives working, to working longer hours, to skipping vacations, creative financing, drawing equity out of our homes etc. has been done. All that is left is to sink further into debt if the banks will let us, or downsize.
I hate to say the American Dream is dead, but it died some time ago.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:15   #149

I think the tiny house was where the American dream started. Then over the years, and with the advent of more money and more affluence the dream eventually became a nightmare that people lived in. Untill it became the reality, more important than the life itself. Boat people are arguing about how much money they need to live the American dream instead of how much life they can live for the money they have. When I bought my boat I changed my lifestyle. I didn't try to move my lifestyle on board my boat. So I had no depreciation. I just had a new appreciation for my new lifestyle. Mac
Old 03-03-2015, 11:10   #150
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Nice one, Mac.

Ralph

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: