Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2009, 00:19   #16

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
This "problem" cuts both ways as i would love to meet the right guy. Someone who expects something different from our routine and regular lives. I cant live a life thats bogged down with what i consider to be a boring 9-5 existance with little more to look forward to at the end of the week than a bottle of wine, a pizza and a DVD, which is what most of the dating ads stipulate in the UK.
Ive been seriously dating for over 4 years and realised its a numbers game. I have met a few guys who did fit the bill, but its got to be a two way street and I obviously didnt do it for them.

Ive read the comments made by women about the dating guys in Latts and Atts. Sleazy fruit loops is the message i picked up on, which is probably very unfair to the good genuine guys, but in this large world, how would i go about dating or looking for a guy from the other side of the pond?

I hope in many ways I would be the ideal type of girl you guys are looking for. I have no land based commitments, i love the sea and sailing, im practical and assertivly confident and I need a live of adventure, I cant do boring. Watching tv, shopping malls, material possesions and society at large arnt on my agenda. Adventure, nature, the sea and travel are of more interest.

Its not only eastern women who are adaptable, loyal, devoted, enthusiastic etc, although it is genetic with them, and it would seem more western women see that as a weakness. I dont.

Old 15-06-2009, 00:23   #17

i2f

your a very lucky couple and having spent a lot of time in Thailand, ive noticed your not alone. Lots of western guys have found their happiness with women there.

Old 15-06-2009, 06:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Think of it like choosing a horse and do not assume that both horse and rider want the same thing.
Just look for the horses with no ass. They are much more likely to be looking for a horses ass.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 06:56   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

Its not only eastern women who are adaptable, loyal, devoted, enthusiastic etc, although it is genetic with them, and it would seem more western women see that as a weakness. I dont.
Having lived in Asia for 26 years I think it's short sighted to stereotype "western" or "asian" women. I doubt there is a "devotion" gene.

I am not a Laura Schlessinger fan per se but both her books "10 things men do to mess up their lives" and "10 things women do to mess up their lives" should be required reading in the 10th grade.

She gets bonus points for being a sailor.

Finding a sailing partner to sail the world is difficult but not as difficult as many other things. I see couples passing through here constantly. The women tend to be self reliant, intelligent, together (i.e. low crazy level), participatory and take an active interest in the voyage, the boat and the skipper.

I think both people looking to find a cruising partner need to evaluate not, "How can I find a partner?" but rather, "What will I bring to the partnership and how do I better prepare myself for when Skipper Right turns up?" - An experienced female sailor would really catch a lot of attention.

And here's a clue - You won't find him far from the docks...
Old 15-06-2009, 08:16   #20

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Ok..this may sound like deja moo = that is when you have heard this BS before....Met mine online in a Japan/yahoo chat room. She in Tokyo, me on the hard in Los Angeles. If there is not a "devotion" gene...she has somthing very close to it. Never sailed in her life, but took to it like a fish to water. Dont want to get anyone angry, but there is a differance between Asians and Japanese,...that is another thread for later. Married now for 3 years and enjoying every moment...Funny thing though..she is very good at sneaking up on me, and everytime we sail into Avalon...she spends alot of time looking through the binoculars.....making little drawings on a chart.....am I missing something here? Tora Tora Tora!!!!!
Old 15-06-2009, 08:17   #21

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Oh, I forgot....I would love to tell Dr. Laura our story. She would go ballistic as there is 30 difference in our ages..
Old 15-06-2009, 08:28   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Having spent 5 years working in Tokyo and another 5 years supporting Japanese customers I would agree that suspending the Japanese culture might be appropriate. There's a lot going on there.

Actually, I would also say there isn't really an "Asian" culture. Thais, Filipinos, Indonesians, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Vietnamese, etc. etc. - all different.
Old 15-06-2009, 08:30   #23

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

... BUT at the same time, my parent meet in a simular manner. My mom put an ad in Cruising worlds mag for a soul mate. Sounds pretty wild now imagine 15 years ago. She met my dad they married on his boat three weeks later and then sailed around the world, It can happen, don't loose faith. Just last week my dad was snuggling up to my mom- like school kids!

My two cents
Erika
Erika. I love yur Mum. Well, the concept you describe anyway. The thought of a woman posting an add like that, would excite most single men on here I reckon. Reckon you have a cool Mum.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 08:44   #24

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
This "problem" cuts both ways as i would love to meet the right guy. Someone who expects something different from our routine and regular lives. I cant live a life thats bogged down with what i consider to be a boring 9-5 existance with little more to look forward to at the end of the week than a bottle of wine, a pizza and a DVD, which is what most of the dating ads stipulate in the UK.
Ive been seriously dating for over 4 years and realised its a numbers game. I have met a few guys who did fit the bill, but its got to be a two way street and I obviously didnt do it for them.

I hope in many ways I would be the ideal type of girl you guys are looking for. I have no land based commitments, i love the sea and sailing, im practical and assertively confident and I need a live of adventure, I cant do boring. Watching tv, shopping malls, material possesions and society at large arnt on my agenda. Adventure, nature, the sea and travel are of more interest.
You're a rare bird Anjou. That's probably half the problem (although a positive in the eyes of those on here, myself included).

The other half might be living in Birmingham. That's a way from the sea.
I tend to hang about on the waterside, and am always meeting people. However, none of them have fancied me, as I presume they all have taste.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 09:40   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I was 15 I had a huge crush on a Filipina. That look stuck in the back of my mind. It had nothing to do with Asian culture. Just the look is what I was attracted to. She is not subservient in any way. She is not traditional except for family is number one. Which at times leaves us #2. She is from the islands, and soon we will sail, and live there.

What she is is all woman, and I am the first to admit women confuse me. Something else she is is adventurous, and very sweet. She drowned as a child, and was scared to death at first on the boat. Now she swims, snorkels caves, guts, and cooks fish before the fish knows it's even out of the water. Our first three years were travelling, and living on the boat, and then the little white picket fence syndrome hit.

This led to a house, then jobs, and then it got a wee bit messy. Now we are trying to get our ducks in a row, and sail to her islands, the Philippines. The other day I was making a post while she looked over my shoulder. There was some kind of photo. I don't know if it was one of ours, or something else. It represented sailing though, and she remarked. " Remember when our only concern was the weather. We really had it didn't we? " I think she's done with the picket fence, and what it takes to keep it alive here in America......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 10:23   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Wow this is a great thread,

Moonlight Shadow- thanks, my mum is fantastic. She is working on an article for Cruising World about how I'm following in her footsteps, I think she hopes lightning will strike twice

anjinsa and i2f ,you guys are blessed and more importantly you know it, be good to em. In fact, make them breakfast in bed ( or er bunk) tomorrow morning and do the dishes afterwards

Anju, good luck on your quest for finding your mate, you sound like such a neat person. He is out there, have faith.

BTW my dad cooked all the meals and did all the dishes , 15 yeas later he still loves to pampers her.

Erika
Old 15-06-2009, 10:48   #27
Eternal Member

LOLOLOLOL,

She does get that breakfast served many times. She has gotten down, and helped me pull both fuel tanks out of the motor compartments. She navigates, and we discuss where the boat is going.

She loves the midnight to nearly dawn shift, and that's my favorite sleeping time. She use to make me sleep at the foot of the helm on the cockpit floor. Now I get the use of the bed, and I am hardly ever asked a question. I did promise her the moon to get all of these things, and here is my proof of the gift......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAN SALVADOR MOON in MEL PALMS.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	8566   Click image for larger version

Name:	COLOMBUS MUSEUM  MEL.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	8567  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MEL UNDER IMAGINE.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	8568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stnl_storm 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	8569  

Old 15-06-2009, 12:40   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
I need a live of adventure, I cant do boring..
Personally, when in deep water, I prefer life to be rather more towards the boring, than too adventurous!
Old 15-06-2009, 14:25   #29
Eternal Member

Talbot,

There is a wee bit of wisdom in those words.....lolololol......i2f
Old 15-06-2009, 16:15   #30

Thanks MoonlightShadow.

Im moving from Birmingham in 2 weeks, going to Malvern in Worcestershire. Its a little closer to the sea but not much. Ive recently met a guy who shows some potential and he lives on the south coast, but he doesnt sail. Hes got a 35' power boat. We have our first serious date next week when we go to France for a few days to find new wines for his resteraunt.

Time will tell.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: