Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 10:49   #16

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Tesla Electric Yacht unveiled...

I googled "Tesla Model Y", to see what Tesla was saying about this ... but the Model Y is a car, not a yacht.

So I googled the designer of this "boat", and sure enough this was just some student project by someone at a design college in New Delhi. Add the name "Tesla" to some pictures of a bar and watch the internet go mad.

Nothing to do with Tesla at all - let alone boat design, engineering or the laws of physics.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:06   #17

I love perpetual motion boats. You put one in the water and let it go around the world, and by the 1000x it circles it'll have gained so much excess energy it'll go faster than light and turn back time so Louie lane didn't die.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:25   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

it's a good you guys aren't the visionaries of the world or we would still be using Loran C and typewriters
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:27   #19

In my 60+ years of boating and engineering I have never understood why CRAP like this ever makes the light of day!
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
it's a good you guys aren't the visionaries of the world or we would still be using Loran C and typewriters
I'm still recovering from the hype about cold fusion
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:45   #21

Boat: Cavalier 975 32'

Looks like it would be fun to dock. Where does one stand to throw a line midship? Or walk the perimiter?
I, like others have noted, the diminutive size of the solar panel. Why would you waste all that empty horizontal space? Cover the whole area with PV and you can do away with the regenerative hydrodrive wank.
GlennGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:32   #22

Boat: Currently in between

You folks keep saying ugly but remember, there is at least one Russian that would buy it!
Old 14-01-2017, 13:22   #23

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
As long as you can anchor in a river the turbine idea makes sense. Of course once the boat's moving it makes no sense.

Now that's a constructive comment..!

I hear people naysaying on electric cars all the time but they don't seem to be listening. I'm sure electric boats / sailboats will be the same. Price if batteries and new tech will eventually swing the pendulum.

Now could someone please make me a fist sized turbine that runs on diesel and can run a 1000amp alternator... Think aircraft APU. Disclaimer no math was hurt when I made the last statement.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:42   #24

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
They seemed to have cracked perpetual motion:

"it uses a hydroelectricity turbine system located beneath the hull that collects energy as it flows through the water"
i wouldn't really call that perpetual motion; not as it's usually meant. they are simply using the motion of the water in the same way a wind generator uses the motion of the air.

a poster after this says it's all jive and hype; that there are no physics to support this. i would have to disagree.

people have been harnessing the energy of moving water for centuries. water wheels have been used to grind grains and they have these things called hydro-electric dams...

there are watches that wind themselves by using the motion of your body as you move your arm around.

perpetual motion engines? of course not. the energy comes from other sources. these things just tap into it.

if this is a real thing, it certainly does have physics behind it.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:53   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I googled "Tesla Model Y", to see what Tesla was saying about this ... but the Model Y is a car, not a yacht.

So I googled the designer of this "boat", and sure enough this was just some student project by someone at a design college in New Delhi. Add the name "Tesla" to some pictures of a bar and watch the internet go mad.

Nothing to do with Tesla at all - let alone boat design, engineering or the laws of physics.
Seems like adding his name is a saies gimmic. Thank God he could bring is AC.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:59   #26

Yeah. Uh, no. Combine a CAD program with some magic herbs, and presto! I feel I can comment on this cuz I'm and expert (ex - a has-been, spurt - a drip under pressure).
Wonder how long it will take ol' Elon to shut this down. Doesn't seem to be anything on Tesla's web site.
Next: I draw a faster than light space ship on account of drawing it makes it real.
Buckanear Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
In my 60+ years of boating and engineering I have never understood why CRAP like this ever makes the light of day!
that would be because humans don't yet know everything. i am sure, if there were blogs back in the 1600's and people blogged about humans flying, there would be some guy posting this exact comment.

it takes people willing to dream, believe, and think out of the box to get advances.

a lot of the technology that we have originated as an element of some sci fi novel, long before the tech was there to support it. then some dreamer who read that novel believed it was possible and worked towards accomplishing it.

manned space flight is a good example. dreamers dreamed of it and 'experts' said it was a pipe dream.

it may not be today but, someday a dreamer will find a way to develop another energy source that will seem like 'crap' to the nay-sayers but will revolutionize our civilization.

this wasn't it but, there will come a day.....kind of like human flight.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
Old 14-01-2017, 14:13   #28

Hm... Our toys consume more'n'more energy just to build, let alone to use. The sailing ship/sail boat as we've known them for hundreds of years are the ONLY means of conveyancing that do not damage planet earth, and even that is no longer true since hulls are no longer built from wood and sails are no longer made from cotton.

All of us need to think about the fact that a fit man pedalling a bike driving an A/C generator cannot keep a 100W light bulb lit for more'n five minutes before he's totally pooped. Yet, at this very moment I'm gobbling up about 5KW just heating my modest little condo. That's about 50 men pedalling like fury, and the heat's gonna turn off if five minutes!

If the men were fed on beef, as is the NA custom, the load on earth's resources multiplies by a factor of 20!

Do a quick calc to see how many men it would take, pedalling like fury, to drive this 'ere "Tesla" boat.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:22   #29

My favorite line from the description "A bit weird but subdued"

A bit weird? A whole lot weird!
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hm... Our toys consume more'n'more energy just to build, let alone to use. The sailing ship/sail boat as we've known them for hundreds of years are the ONLY means of conveyancing that do not damage planet earth, and even that is no longer true since hulls are no longer built from wood and sails are no longer made from cotton.

All of us need to think about the fact that a fit man pedalling a bike driving an A/C generator cannot keep a 100W light bulb lit for more'n five minutes before he's totally pooped. Yet, at this very moment I'm gobbling up about 5KW just heating my modest little condo. That's about 50 men pedalling like fury, and the heat's gonna turn off if five minutes!

If the men were fed on beef, as is the NA custom, the load on earth's resources multiplies by a factor of 20!

Do a quick calc to see how many men it would take, pedalling like fury, to drive this 'ere "Tesla" boat.

TrentePieds
well, that's a apples to oranges comparison. the human body was not designed to be an efficient energy generator. it was designed to function as a living creature and it works well for it's designed purpose.

the whole physics argument against the possibility of ever finding any other, better source is a lot like the physics of flight.

according to physics, bumble bees can fly. the fact that they do must be a figment of our collective imaginations.

at one time, scientists claimed that condors and albatrosses were a the upper most limit of possible size for flying animals.

then they discovered the pteranodon with it's 25 foot wingspan.

then, they said that that was definitely the limit on the size of flying animals.

then, the quezalcoatlius was discovered with a 50' wingspan. surely, that was the biggest possible flying animal.

but, recently, i was reading where they may have discovered a bone that might belong to an even larger species of pterosaur.

and of course, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. we all know that....except that nuclear reactions violate that 'law'.

what we 'know' should really be thought of as what we think we know.

by the way, if you are building out of wood, you still have an environmental impact. just look at how the woods that we crave for boat building are starting to get more scarce. if you exist in large enough populations, it's quite easy to use up all of the natural resources of any given sized land mass/planet.

that's actually the big problem with pollution and natural resources. it's not that our present methods and materials are so harmful, in and of themselves. it's that there are too many of us.

with pollution, it can be summed up as: the solution to pollution is dilution. if a hundred thousand humans burn fires every day, it will not effect the planet one bit. when billions of humans create air pollution, either directly or indirectly, on that same planet, you get a problem. put a drop of poison in a 100 gallon drum and you can drink it with no problem. put that same drop in a glass of water and you die.

the same goes with resources. an acre of land can only support a certain population of animals. if you quadruple the population, the land will be decimated.

humans need to start considering population growth control as a part of environmental sustainability but, if you even mention something like that, people have a fit.

Tags
electric, yacht