Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 07:44   #16

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Teak Decks vs Gelcoat Non-Skid?

Will the cost of doing glass now and refinishing with teak when you want to sell be reflected in the resale price? I don't think you get that money back. I would say go with the glass if that's what you really want. You will probably have the same sale price on the boat when you decide to sell, no matter which deck you put on her now.
Old 21-10-2011, 07:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
I would go with the gel coat. you ca always sand it down and put down teak later when you want to sell it. As much as I love teak I do not want the hassle of it. Every teak deck o a boat that I have worked on has always leaks wether glued or screwed down.
Ditto.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:02   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Teak Decks vs Gelcoat Non-Skid ?

IMHO a boats gotta look good and no ones going ot argue that nothing looks nicer than a cleaned teak deck.............

But then if looks do not worry you, a light coloured gel coat would be less work and a few degrees cooler.

I'd stick with teak.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 21-10-2011, 08:17   #19
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I'm a bit confused...whats all the talk about the maintenance of a teak deck...a bucket of sea water every couple days and what else?...
I watched a friend use Honey TeakTM System Kit to refinish his teak on a 28' Cape Dory. It took him forever and a day to sand, and put on all those required coats. Not to mention all the beer I drank while watching him...

Admittedly, it looked terrific when he finished the job. They say it lasts 5 years in Florida weather, and he figures he'd be lucky to get 3. No bare footed sailing on his boat during the warm months, and it's just too much work for an old guy like me.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:23   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Burmese teak has a density of 45 lbs per cubic foot which is about 50% heavier than standard construction grade plywood here in the states. The indian and african species are heavier than the burmese. That would be almost 2 lbs per sq. ft. at 1/2" thick. You might want to calculate how much weight you are adding to your cat or in your case subtracting from your cat. Although minor you probably should add in the weight of additional materials. BTW how thick is the decking you would use? BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:43   #21

I would think that Gel Coat decks will be a plus when it comes to value and being able to resell. Most knowledgeable sailors dont trust teak decks. Too bad they are so problematic as it's great non skid!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:49   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I would never consider buying a catamaran with teak decks, it just doesn't make sense to me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is an intermediate option - any of the good synthetic teak products, which are lighter and longer lasting and less maintenance easier to apply (about half the cost) than real teak. My personal favorite is the Esthec brand (and you can get it in several different looks, one of which is an 'aged teak' look which is lighter colored and less hot in the tropics) but there are many good options.

Hawk was supposed to have teak decks but they would have weighted 1000's lbs. We put paint on instead. If doing it again I would consider using the Esthec in the cockpit for its looks but probably would still use paint up the decks as it works fine and is just so much lighter than any of the alternatives.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 10:24   #24

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
...BTW how thick is the decking you would use? BOB
Bob, thanks for the stats. I think the deck is structural already, so we're talking about some fairing material, maybe a layer of glass, & 3mm of anti-skid - call it maybe 5-8mm total (I'm trying to talk the guy into minimizing it, as he was all for building the deck back up to 12mm). Total area of teak is 15 sq meters or 160 sq feet. It was 12mm when laid, but is probably ~8mm now after 16 years.
Old 21-10-2011, 10:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I would never consider buying a catamaran with teak decks, it just doesn't make sense to me.
SMJ, ALL boats are compromises. We weren't wild about the teak either, but ALL Wauquiez boats have teak decks - it's a bit of a signature item with him. And for all her other foibles, we've yet to find another boat we'd rather cruise.
Old 21-10-2011, 11:03   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
Teak decks are hot. We removed the teak from our deck on the advice of a broker who said it would increase sales value which it did.
Agreed. I removed my teak decks and recored last year. This year the boat was very noticeably more comfortable in the heat of summer!
Old 22-10-2011, 10:40   #27

Folks - Thank you all for your opinions. My quick count shows about 5:1 for Gelcoat vs Teak (& a couple who already stripped their teak off in favor of gelcoat!). The engineer in me was leaning that way already but I'm a bit short on aesthetics, so your opinions have helped ease my mind. CF working the way it's supposed to!

Fair winds & calm seas!
Old 22-10-2011, 12:39   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK Jon, now that we have settled the teak issue, lets discuss what should be on the deck. If there isn't molded in anti skid in the gel coat, I like using one of the acryllic based commercial deck coatings. These are a slightly rubbery coating applied with a textured roller, and in our experience provide really good traction... better than any molded gelcoat can offer.

Kiwigrip is a popular marine version, but it is fairly pricey. We found (in Australia) an industrial equivalent called Acrylmeric. Got 15 litres (enough to do the decks on our 46 foot boat at least twice) for about 180 AUD. It was easy to apply, water cleanup, fast drying and has held up well so far. One can adjust the aggressiveness of the finish to suit specific traffic areas, and we like the result. Stuff can be tinted to your taste, but we used a fairly stark white to keep it cooler in the tropics. Some folks don't like it's appearance but that's an individual take.

Anyhow, have fun, have cooler decks, have a faster boat... what's not to like?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 23-10-2011, 01:35   #29

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Got rid of the teak decks on Bluestocking, and went with painted non-skid. Tough decision at the time, but have not regretted it.
Kronos #11 is here in Bermuda in the daysail business. I will look this morning and see if Nathan has teak or painted decks. If paint, will get some pictures.
As an aside, this spring, after she lost her mast to a failed turn buckle, we re-rigged her and added a second lower shroud.
Can't recall what deck finish she had.
Old 23-10-2011, 02:04   #30

Boat: Traditional 30

FWIW, I find teak decks on older boats a deterant not an added value. Especially being a buyer at the bottom of the market. Often these decks are in poor condition and very expensive to restore. Restoring gelcoat is usually just a polish or at worst a coat of paint over the top.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat