Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 14:05   #46

Re: Teak Decks vs Gelcoat Non-Skid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK Jon, now that we have settled the teak issue, lets discuss what should be on the deck. If there isn't molded in anti skid in the gel coat, I like using one of the acryllic based commercial deck coatings. These are a slightly rubbery coating applied with a textured roller, and in our experience provide really good traction... better than any molded gelcoat can offer.

Kiwigrip is a popular marine version, but it is fairly pricey. We found (in Australia) an industrial equivalent called Acrylmeric. Got 15 litres (enough to do the decks on our 46 foot boat at least twice) for about 180 AUD. It was easy to apply, water cleanup, fast drying and has held up well so far. One can adjust the aggressiveness of the finish to suit specific traffic areas, and we like the result. Stuff can be tinted to your taste, but we used a fairly stark white to keep it cooler in the tropics. Some folks don't like it's appearance but that's an individual take.

Anyhow, have fun, have cooler decks, have a faster boat... what's not to like?
Cheers,

Jim
I have tried KiwiGrip and not sure I would call it a commercial product. Was not impressed at all. Found you could peel it from the edge like thin latex. I tried DuraBak after that and it is very robust, sticks to a poorly prepped surface very very well and is a pretty hard finish. No comparison between these two.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:35   #47

Boat: Nordhavn 50

What about cork decking?

Michel
siroismi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 17:19   #48

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by siroismi View Post
What about cork decking?

Michel
I've always heard sand was death on cork, that it doesn't take abrasives well.
Old 23-10-2011, 19:01   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I've always heard sand was death on cork, that it doesn't take abrasives well.
We used a sealed cork floor on the inside of our old catamaran and it showed no signs of wear after 3 years. There is a new cork flooring out that people are using on the deck and cockpit. I'm not sure how it wears but it looks great.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:22   #50

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Yes, we've seen the cork decks being sold here, but I can't imagine it would wear well. Cork is so soft. I'd think just the covering (varnish?) would be the main wear deterrent.
Old 23-10-2011, 19:32   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why would anyone varnish a nonskid deck to make it a death deck?????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 07:19   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Just to clarify my earlier post. My observation is that the removal of the teak made a big difference on the temperature INSIDE the cabin.
Old 22-05-2012, 12:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Just to clarify my earlier post. My observation is that the removal of the teak made a big difference on the temperature INSIDE the cabin.
stumbled on this discussion by accident. figured i would add my 2 cents. had two cheoy lees with teak decks plus two sloops with all fiberglass decks. the teak decks were a lot easier on the feet in the tropics. also down below did not seem hotter nor cooler than the non teak decks. always left the teak decks bare. no oils, no cetol crud, just salt water washdowns once in a while. they did not seem hotter than fiberglass decks and a whole lot cooler than a friend's steel decks. unless your a dock queen, your decks are going to be wet anyways. cant beat teak decks for feet. plus fiberglass decks will eventually get ratty. teak stays teak till it wears away or until you mistreat it by sanding, "cleaning", and adding teak products to it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 13:41   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
stumbled on this discussion by accident. figured i would add my 2 cents. had two cheoy lees with teak decks plus two sloops with all fiberglass decks. the teak decks were a lot easier on the feet in the tropics. also down below did not seem hotter nor cooler than the non teak decks. always left the teak decks bare. no oils, no cetol crud, just salt water washdowns once in a while. they did not seem hotter than fiberglass decks and a whole lot cooler than a friend's steel decks. unless your a dock queen, your decks are going to be wet anyways. cant beat teak decks for feet. plus fiberglass decks will eventually get ratty. teak stays teak till it wears away or until you mistreat it by sanding, "cleaning", and adding teak products to it.

EXACTLY
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat