Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2008, 01:15   #1
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37
Tartan ?

Hi I'm new to this site.

I am looking for a new to me boat and wanted some pick some brains so here it goes:

I will be relocating to the Tampa, FL area. I will be day sailing as well as overnighting. A few longer trips will be thrown in from time to time with an occasional month long trip. In the next couple years a 6 month trip south is planned.

I have a family, wife and three kids 8, 5, 1 year. They have a limited sailing experience so their confidence needs to be built but they are eager.

I am leaning towards an older Tartan 37. I like quite a few things about this design but would like to hear what you think as well as what compares.

Looking forward to hearing,

Mitch
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 03:52   #2
cruiser

Mitch,

I've seen several of these boats plying the waters of the Caribbean. There is nothing wrong with this boat for your intended use. They are well built.

Now where are you going to sleep all those people??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW View Post
Hi I'm new to this site.

I am looking for a new to me boat and wanted some pick some brains so here it goes:

I will be relocating to the Tampa, FL area. I will be day sailing as well as overnighting. A few longer trips will be thrown in from time to time with an occasional month long trip. In the next couple years a 6 month trip south is planned.

I have a family, wife and three kids 8, 5, 1 year. They have a limited sailing experience so their confidence needs to be built but they are eager.

I am leaning towards an older Tartan 37. I like quite a few things about this design but would like to hear what you think as well as what compares.

Looking forward to hearing,

Mitch
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 04:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We have 3 of these in our yacht club. Nice solid boats that sail very comfortably and you can club race. I wouldn't touch a brand new one with a 10 ft boat hook. Tartan is no longer Tartan after the company was sold.

You want a used older Tartan to get a real Tartan. The only thing I would say negative about them is there is not a lot of room below yet they have a lot of storage. It will take some organization to keep the whole family comfortable, but then I think you already understand that part.

If priced right they can be a great value. As with all older boats you can get into some serious refitting costs. Puck with caution and plan for expenses.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 04:58   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The market for used Tartans is probably better along the Great Lakes, where they were built. So don't just look locally.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 11:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
I may be mis-remebering, but didn't theolder T-37s have the engine under a settee in the middle of the salon?

Another boat of that vintage that might be a good choice would be a C&C Landfall 38. There's a pilot berth in a separated cabin that might be useful with young kids aboard.

Mike
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 11:40   #6
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37
Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

I think a lot of research needs to be done on each boat to know what I'm getting into as far as refit costs a point well taken.

I am lucky to have a wife who is a neat freek who organizes everything.
With her help and a minimal clutter policy I think we will all fit. Most Tartan 37s have a forward v for two, a bunk to the starboard midship, a bunk on the port aft behind the map area, and a double can be made in the settee. On some that I have seen the starboard midship bunk has been converted to storage. Lucky, some of the people are small people but do tend to grow!

The engine is located behind/under the hatchway.

Thanks,

Mitch
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:03   #7

Boat: 1991 Tartan 372 - Selah
Tartan 37

Mitch,
My husband and I just "upgraded" from a Pearson 31 to a Tartan 372. Our Tartan finally arrived at the marina last week so we spent the weekend moving stuff between boats. We have a 10 year old son who loves to bring friends along for weekend sail excursions and we also travel with a large golden retriever (Annie). Both cabins are huge and the settee will make a great place for a couple of your little ones. If I remember right, the engine is under the sink. We bought our Tartan used out of Ohio and had it trucked back to Wisconsin. Someday, we hope to move east where the season is longer.

Good luck and have fun!

Karen
krosy61 is offline   Reply With Quote