Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 03:38   #1

Boat: S&S 34
Tangalooma Wrecks

Hi to all, I'm planning on sailing (S&S 34) from Mooloolabah to Tangalooma wrecks for a night, winds are looking favorable at E/NE. As it will be my first trip over there is there any preferred anchorage areas at or around the wrecks?
Appreciate any advise.

Dozza
Dozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 03:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tangalooma Wrecks

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dozza.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 03:53   #3

Thanks mate.
Old 16-09-2012, 04:10   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Mate, I have zero recent Tanga's experience but a lifetime ago, we used to try to anchor as close to shore as possible behind the wrecks. IIRC, the tidal stream was fairly strong and would tend to hold you parallel to the shore regardless of the wind; however hopefully someone with recent local experience will chime in.

It used to very crowded on weekends but mid week wasn't so bad.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 04:15   #5

Inside the wrecks, depth about 5 meters, you will not be happy if the wind is strong from S toW to N. Wrecks are on a bank shy of 200m from island.
Old 16-09-2012, 04:26   #6

Thanks for the replies. Winds are predicted to be E/NE 10-15knts so should be suited. Looking fwd to the trip.
Old 16-09-2012, 04:44   #7

Enjoy, watch out for the comercial shipping near Brisbane.
I have fond memories of being on the hook in the "pond".
Old 16-09-2012, 04:59   #8

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Hi Dozza,one of the best snorkeling places with heaps of sealife and awesome around the wrecks,strong current and can be uncomfortable wind against tide.Check out the mooring balls close by a little south of the wrecks and if it cuts up a smidge rough just borrow one of the moorings for the night.Have your camera ready an hour before sunset to get great pics. Of the dolphins heading down to the resort for their free feed.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 14:02   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Dozza,

Well, I guess there always has to be someone who has a different opinion!

First, the "magic" of Tangalooma is not apparent to me... it's like anchoring in a maritime junkyard IMO, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But, if one wants or needs to spend a night there, here's our practice: We do NOT like anchoring between the beach and the line of wrecks. It is quite narrow, often quite crowded with folks not too skilled in anchoring technique, and as mentioned by others, there is a strong tidal current sweeping through which adds to the excitement of getting well situated and staying put during the night. All in all, not our cup of tea!

So, we anchor a bit short of the wrecks. About 8-10 metres depth, clean sand bottom, and lots of room. Out there the velocity of the current is quite a bit less, but still present. I would not recommend use of the moorings scattered about, for their provenance is unknown, and their appearance suggests that they are light duty only.
Finally, despite the f/c NE winds, there is often a W'ly land breeze at night, and that can lead to some discomfort.

So, you'll have to form your own opinions after you have a go at it. Should be a good sail if the f/c holds. Are you planning to come in via the NE channel? It will save a lot of miles over using the main channel, and leads pretty directly to the Tangalooma area.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-09-2012, 15:15   #10

Thanks Jim,
Yes we all have different opinions and I appreciate all, think we will take your advice and anchor out south of the wrecks. Have plotted a course via the NE channel, now hope that the 10-15knt breaze will be around.
Old 16-09-2012, 15:24   #11

Thanks Jacana, will keep an eye out for the dolphins while kicking back having several beers!!
Old 16-09-2012, 15:25   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozza View Post
Thanks Jim,
Yes we all have different opinions and I appreciate all, think we will take your advice and anchor out south of the wrecks. Have plotted a course via the NE channel, now hope that the 10-15knt breaze will be around.
G'Day again Dozza,

OK, and let us know how it works out for you.

Oh... what's thename of your S&S? One of our favorite designs, BTW. We had an S&S 30 (American one called a Yankee 30) years ago, and she was a sweet boat too.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-09-2012, 15:40   #13
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozza View Post
Thanks Jim,
G'day and welcome to CF Dozza!

We will join the others in encouraging you to post your own experiences around the wrecks area. We haven't visited there as yet, but we often pass seaward of the area in our coastal cruising and it could well end up being a spot to visit. So we'll appreciate your experience and observations!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 15:43   #14

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

My choices for the area are well away from the majority Untitled - Google Maps

One thing worth mentioning is to make sure you have good gear down, adequate swinging room and are well attached to the bottom as I have been there on several occasions when there has been lovely northerlies in the day then a big SW to W storm has howled through late at night early morning resulting in boats washed up on the beach.

Have fun.
Old 16-09-2012, 15:51   #15

Thanks guys, Will let you know how it went. Any trip out of the harbor is a good trip!! My yachts name is Villecroze and it certainly lives up to the S&S name.

D&D, we spent a couple of days in Yamba on way up from Sydney last year, great spot (although I near had a wreck trying to find that whole in the wall during an early hr of the morning departure!!) looking fwd to a trip back down that way..