Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 17:25   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Taking videos - sound problem

Total amature here.

I have a Olympus Stylus 850 SW and have taken a couple of videos and find that there is way too much noise from wind and high pitches.

I tried taping over the mic opening. I tried stuffing it and then taping it.

No joy.

I suppose it is picking up the sound from the case iself even though I have a silicone sleeve.

Is there something simple I can do? Yes, I still want sound.

I don't want to become a video editing amature. Novice will probably tax me too much.

Thanks.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 04:22   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Taking videos - sound problem

So you have a port for an external microphone. That's what I had to use with mine.
Not all recorders have them. although they should.
Still had to put a thin piece of foam rubber over the external mic, but it did get rid of background noise...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 04:33   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

An external Unidirectional Dynamic mic with a windsock will be your best friend. (assuming the cam has a 3.5 input) Those crappy mics in most digicams are omnidirectional and over sensitive to any wind of worth.

This little sucker would be perfect for you. Shure Americas | SM58 Vocal Microphone | Stage, Rugged, Touring
The Shure sm58 is a great all round vocal mic. All you will need to add is the Windsock and an XLR to 3.5 jack cable. Can be purchased at most music stores or online.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 10:34   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Welll,
It was bought because it is waterproof and I just don't have to worry about it if it is "laying about".

I don't think I will bother with it being open (if it does have plug - don't think so) and also holding a mic.

Like the boat - a compromise to live with I guess.

Thanks.
Old 23-03-2011, 10:48   #5

The Shure58 is a tank. I played in rock bands for a few years and the 58 could handle some serious abuse and the sound quality stood up. It was the standard issue do-anything microphone.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 12:06   #6

Unfortunately you need to learn the basics of video editing then lower or raise the audio level to your liking with the editing program. I know it's not what you want to hear but the basic editing programs are very simple.

What do you use now to edit with?
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 12:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Unfortunately you need to learn the basics of video editing then lower or raise the audio level to your liking with the editing program. I know it's not what you want to hear but the basic editing programs are very simple.

The mic's getting overloaded from the wind though, it's too sensitive for the audio level.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 12:35   #8

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

The Shure SM58 is a great mic for singing and live performances but not for video. At work I use a Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic with a Dead Kitten windsock. The furry windsocks really cut down the noise, and they also function as a pop filter when people are speaking.

I have no idea how to cut down the wind noise on an internal mic in the Olympus, but maybe you could tape something furry rather than foamy over the mic. I think the strands of fur going in all different directions really breaks up the wind sound whereas it can blow straight through foam.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 13:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
The Shure SM58 is a great mic for singing and live performances but not for video. At work I use a Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic with a Dead Kitten windsock. The furry windsocks really cut down the noise, and they also function as a pop filter when people are speaking.

I have no idea how to cut down the wind noise on an internal mic in the Olympus, but maybe you could tape something furry rather than foamy over the mic. I think the strands of fur going in all different directions really breaks up the wind sound whereas it can blow straight through foam.
Yes, totally agree about not using the sure sm58 and using a shotgun like the rode (good bang for the buck video mic), but the problem is his camera does not have an audio input for an external mic and the auto gain control that is set internally on the camera sucks, his only option is to turn it down in post (quality is still blown out) or maybe wrap the camera in a furry jammer wind sock and cut a hole out for the lens but that option seems impractical.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 18:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post

Edit? What is that?

YouTube has some stuff right? Don't know how to use it.

I have three videos on YouTube so far. Actually one because two are the one cut in two pieces.
Old 23-03-2011, 18:42   #11

Quote:
I think the strands of fur going in all different directions really breaks up the wind sound whereas it can blow straight through foam.
Ahhh!

I used tape first.

Then cotton with tape over.

Then gave up.

I'll check the docks for strays and see if I can pick up some kitty furr.
Old 23-03-2011, 18:44   #12

I figured as much about the camera being what it is.

Thanks all. I will try to learn something........or just force you all to listen to the wind noise.
Old 23-03-2011, 19:09   #13

Quote:

My thoughts on the 58 is that it would allow him to do narratives at the same time. Where as you would know a shotgun is used more for picking up the sounds of the subject not the man with the cam. But hey, its all horses for courses and it doesnt appear that he is wanting to go down the path of an external mic.
Old 23-03-2011, 19:11   #14

you could find out if the cam has a senistivity control for the mic. It may help a little, but unlikely a lot. Dare I say it, have you tried taping some foam over the mic?
Old 23-03-2011, 19:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
you could find out if the cam has a senistivity control for the mic. It may help a little, but unlikely a lot. Dare I say it, have you tried taping some foam over the mic?

No, just tape and cotton.

see post 11