Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 13:48   #121
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,147
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Some of my best times have been with drug crazed nutters .

Not sure what reluctance is with folks not simply chopping up an intruder with a machete . Gonna be disposing of a body anyway - that best done in bits.
Sharks David..... Sharks. best to keep him in one piece till get out to sea....
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 13:53   #122
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Btw in this small part of Britain we have own gun laws - can have anything you like, including hand guns and tripod mounted stuff. Most dont bother.........not crime free here, but if you left car unlocked in public carpark with keys in ignition all day you would be relieved but not surprised all your stuff inside was still there. You would only be surprised if the car was not there. That also applies to motorbikes!

Only 100,000 of us here mind, but the usual societal mix - the secret is being civilised, funded by affluence.
__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 13:58   #123
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,147
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Btw in this small part of Britain we have own gun laws - can have anything you like, including hand guns and tripod mounted stuff. Most dont bother.........not crime free here, but if you left car unlocked in public carpark with keys in ignition all day you would be relieved but not surprised all your stuff inside was still there. You would only be surprised if the car was not there. That also applies to motorbikes!

Only 100,000 of us here mind, but the usual societal mix - the secret is being civilised, funded by affluence.
I lived in a small village in Southern Ireland in 90s. I never had keys to either front or back door.
I only ever removed car keys in big towns or cities.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 14:59   #124
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,044
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

The uncertainty of presence or absence of a firearm aboard helps to cast a shadow of protection over all vessels. Just sayin. HELPS, I say. A shotgun is not a o ne size fits all solution for every boat in every situation.

BTW I think a shotgun of minimum legal length is probably the best choice of defensive weapon on a yacht. Long range is not usually needed, and can actually be a liability.

I considered getting a .410 Judge revolver but was not impressed with the reviews of it so for now I generally have only my old dbl 12ga Stevens aboard. Simple and dependable.

I am a 1911 fan, don't get me wrong. But a handgun is too handy for a criminal to carry and use on other robberies. I can always replace a stolen gun but I hate to think of all the mayhem that the thief could cause with a handgun stolen from my boat.

Bear in mind that a bullet fired from a rifle could harm someone or something a mile away that was not the intended target.

DON'T EVEN CONSIDER shipping a firearm back to the US from foreign. If you sail out with it, sail back with it or disassemble and jettison it if you continue on to a port where it is absolutely not allowed. (another vote for a cheap double, preferably used and cheap)
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:04   #125
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,044
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Btw in this small part of Britain we have own gun laws - can have anything you like, including hand guns and tripod mounted stuff. Most dont bother.........not crime free here, but if you left car unlocked in public carpark with keys in ignition all day you would be relieved but not surprised all your stuff inside was still there. You would only be surprised if the car was not there. That also applies to motorbikes!

Only 100,000 of us here mind, but the usual societal mix - the secret is being civilised, funded by affluence.
Wow I didn't know about that, Dave. I thought the UK had very strict anti-gun laws. Where are you in the UK, anyway?

I do notice that crime is pretty small potatoes in the UK compared to my home town of New Orleans, in general. I walk pretty much where I want, day or night, in ports like Southampton and never had an incident.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:18   #126
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,147
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post

I do notice that crime is pretty small potatoes in the UK compared to my home town of New Orleans, in general. I walk pretty much where I want, day or night, in ports like Southampton and never had an incident.
What?!
Come with me one night my man.........
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:34   #127
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Usually South Florida these days
Posts: 825
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Where do you get ammo for a grenade launcher?
In the US, you would get it from dealers who have an NFA class III license. My first guess would be that SARCO might be a good place to check, but I don't use M40 rounds myself, so I've never looked to see who actually stocks them.
__________________
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:41   #128
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Usually South Florida these days
Posts: 825
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
So my question is do most people feel safe around Miami?
I'm in Miami a lot. I have a concealed weapons permit. On average I probably carry about once per year these days. In the past, when I lived in other parts of the country, I carried frequently because I had reason to believe that it was a good idea. I'm not opposed to carrying if I think it is necessary. I just don't think that it is necessary or even prudent in Miami or South Florida in general, as long as you stay out of the rough areas.
__________________
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:59   #129
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Usually South Florida these days
Posts: 825
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You view in Europe is very much what the pro-gun lobby presents as the picture.
It's been my experience that the population of the US has been fed a lot of misinformation about firearms laws & firearms use in other countries. Many people living in the US have been led to believe that there is no private gun ownership in the UK anymore. It was a great revelation to me when I found civilians shooting at Bisley.

I also find that a lot of misinformation exists about firearms laws in the US. Here, they vary greatly from state to state & reciprocity is only by individual agreements between specific states. I have even encountered police officers in the US that are misinformed about firearms laws that are in effect in their own jurisdictions.

Misinformation on the subject abounds in many places.
__________________
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 16:07   #130
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
It's been my experience that the population of the US has been fed a lot of misinformation about firearms laws & firearms use in other countries. Many people living in the US have been led to believe that there is no private gun ownership in the UK anymore. It was a great revelation to me when I found civilians shooting at Bisley.

I also find that a lot of misinformation exists about firearms laws in the US. Here, they vary greatly from state to state & reciprocity is only by individual agreements between specific states. I have even encountered police officers in the US that are misinformed about firearms laws that are in effect in their own jurisdictions.

Misinformation on the subject abounds in many places.

Big shoot in Bisley soon by the way

Dave


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 16:46   #131
Registered User
 
campuscab's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit
Boat: CAL 20
Posts: 111
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

I did Immigration bail bonds for years and traveled to many different states. It was a pain carrying weapons in many places and now that I lost weight my pants fall down. So around the water and Marina areas should be reasonably safe correct. Detroit unfortunately is not. The idea of not needing to be armed is awesome. Oh and I leave my keys in my car in the hood also.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 17:02   #132
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Wow I didn't know about that, Dave. I thought the UK had very strict anti-gun laws. Where are you in the UK, anyway?

.
Jersey.

Old Jersey
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 22:52   #133
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

There seems to be a single thing that marks areas where when sailing - or other types of traveling - you may need to carry a firearm if you choose to visit.

And that is, areas with populations of illegal drug users. Be it Miami, the Bahamas, St Vincent, etc. just about any specific locality where there are illegal drug users, they have a constant need for money to buy their drugs. And if you choose to anchor there you can obviously expect to be a prime target. The only exception is what I call the "Fat Lion" situation. That is, where the local thieves/attackers have just finished making a raid and have enough money to purchase their next fix.

So if you wish to stop/travel through such an area rather than bypassing it, I would expect that you would have a need for a firearm on board. If you chose to bypass such areas - like Nassau in the The Bahamas, or just about all of St Vincent - then having a weapon on board is, IMHO, not necessary and a major hassle sometimes. And in some localities in some countries, simple possession of the gun/weapon on board is considered breaking the local law and can get you into a world of trouble.

You can avoid those areas also if you choose to travel with a firearm, but some of them are rather nice and interesting places to visit so I simply avoid the known "drug problem" areas and don't have any firearms on board.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 02:49   #134
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
There seems to be a single thing that marks areas where when sailing - or other types of traveling - you may need to carry a firearm if you choose to visit.

And that is, areas with populations of illegal drug users. Be it Miami, the Bahamas, St Vincent, etc. just about any specific locality where there are illegal drug users, they have a constant need for money to buy their drugs. And if you choose to anchor there you can obviously expect to be a prime target. The only exception is what I call the "Fat Lion" situation. That is, where the local thieves/attackers have just finished making a raid and have enough money to purchase their next fix.

So if you wish to stop/travel through such an area rather than bypassing it, I would expect that you would have a need for a firearm on board. If you chose to bypass such areas - like Nassau in the The Bahamas, or just about all of St Vincent - then having a weapon on board is, IMHO, not necessary and a major hassle sometimes. And in some localities in some countries, simple possession of the gun/weapon on board is considered breaking the local law and can get you into a world of trouble.

You can avoid those areas also if you choose to travel with a firearm, but some of them are rather nice and interesting places to visit so I simply avoid the known "drug problem" areas and don't have any firearms on board.

+1
An extremely pragmatic, sensible post

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 06:51   #135
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Usually South Florida these days
Posts: 825
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
So if you wish to stop/travel through such an area rather than bypassing it, I would expect that you would have a need for a firearm on board. If you chose to bypass such areas - like Nassau in the The Bahamas, or just about all of St Vincent - then having a weapon on board is, IMHO, not necessary and a major hassle sometimes. And in some localities in some countries, simple possession of the gun/weapon on board is considered breaking the local law and can get you into a world of trouble.

You can avoid those areas also if you choose to travel with a firearm, but some of them are rather nice and interesting places to visit so I simply avoid the known "drug problem" areas and don't have any firearms on board.
The only issue I have with this perspective is that it relies on forward knowledge & I for one don't always enjoy that luxury. I travel by boat to explore new areas that I have not seen before. If I have been warned that a particular area is rough, then I tend to avoid it. However, occasionally I stumble upon a bad area that I was not warned about. In that situation, it is sometimes nice to have options.
__________________

__________________
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bahamas

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Back from the Bahamas Zephyr's Aura Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 2 11-03-2009 10:15
Check this Out -- Overboard Survival Float w/ Marine Shotgun drew.ward Health, Safety & Related Gear 6 26-04-2008 23:28
Back from the Bahamas Panama Dave Atlantic & the Caribbean 33 30-07-2007 06:10
Taking the plunge Wanderlust Meets & Greets 1 08-08-2005 22:49
taking off huffco Meets & Greets 0 14-07-2003 03:00


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.