Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 19:26   #76
Registered User
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course, there are a lot of people out there who seem to think that guns are, in fact, autonomous sentient destructive forces. Not consciously, of course. Ask them if a gun can kill someone all by itself and they will admit that it can't. Still, they will continue to think about guns, and talk about guns, as if they really do act autonomously.
Very good point.
__________________

__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:28   #77
Registered User
 
BlueSeas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Posts: 77
A few more thoughts...

I think it is jumping to the wrong conclusion that having a gun means you intend to kill a thief. The typical petty thief will quickly retreat when confronted with a gun and no shots will need to be fired. The rare one that does not is probably ruthless or stupid enough to intend bodily harm. At that point, you are not protecting property, rather using the gun for personal protection.

As for having a gun with no bullets, that would be far more dangerous than no gun at all or a gun with bullets because the aggressive thief is going to shoot at you or take the gun away and pistol whip you.

Finally, I would rather die quickly from a gun shot than be slowly gouged to death by a spoon. How in the world did spoon even get into a hijacked thread on guns!
__________________

__________________
May the wind at your back never be your own... Walter Matthau
The Front Page
BlueSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:47   #78
Registered User
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've come to believe.. especially after having lived in NC for a year... that the country and its people are controlled by the fear factor instigated by the 'Men at the Top'.... forget the gun..
People being controlled by the 'Men at the Top' has nothing to do with the exagerated sense of the world being a dangerous place that many Americans feel. It has more to do with the media. In an un-controlled media world dominated by television with a limited time in which to deliver, most news programs have 1 serious 'extended' (1.5-3min) segment and a number of local crime and human interest bits. The crime bits are the important ones. Because they involve crime, often violent because it is more sensational and attracts more viewers, these bits create a bit a fear in everyone. Papers are a bit better, but still report a lot of crime because that is what is 'newsworthy'. People keep reading and hearing about crime to they come to believe there is a lot of it. Thus we have an exagerated sense of fear in the US.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 21:15   #79
Registered User
 
BlueSeas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Posts: 77
I agree!

Twenty four hour news is one of the worst inventions of man. It has created a fear based society that is scared of its shadow and feels the need to be suspicious of anyone and everyone. Once upon a time you could make a mistake, learn from it and move on with your life.

Now we put 1% of the US adult population in prison and brand them for the rest of their lives....gee we're drifting now...
__________________
May the wind at your back never be your own... Walter Matthau
The Front Page
BlueSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:02   #80
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South of St. Louis
Boat: not much yet
Posts: 170
A gun is a tool. It is better for some things than other all other tools.
The be prepared, have spares, have everything that could possibly be needed, don't care a gun.
I don't carry one either, but not because they are evil or a danger to anyone. I don't carry one anywhere, because I don't want to have to take care of it. That is the biggest problem with a weapon on board. It has to have a baby sitter.
__________________
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:27   #81
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 6,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSeas View Post
How in the world did spoon even get into a hijacked thread on guns!
Rosie O'Donnell did it. Go back a few posts and you'll see.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:44   #82
Registered User
 
Sea Yawl Later's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hemphill, Texas
Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Posts: 150
Images: 7
We returned from the Exuma's in June. We always take a gun. This time we took a 30 30 and a 22 magnum. We always declare and don't take much ammo. It is for defense only.
Upon our return we were checked by US Customs in Houma, La. They came fully geared at 11:00 pm. They asked for our papers and if we had guns. We said we sure do and told them what they were. The Customs guy said, "Hey so would I". They boarded the neighboring boat ( who did not have a gun or any kind of a weapon but they didn't believe him) because they thought he was lying. Go figure. I really think they were looking for drug smugglers.

Funny story: One time we were on a bare boat charter with 2 other couples. I guess no one really discussed much about taking guns. When we checked in at Bimini we had 6 people and 7 guns...lol. They looked surprised. My husband just shrugged his shoulders and said, " We are from Texas!!!". We grew up with guns, know how to use them responsibly and are prepared to use them if the situation demanded it.
Sea Yawl Later!!
__________________
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12   #83
Registered User
 
gulfcoastsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16
Images: 1
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

There is only defense you need for almost all situations on a boat.

A can of wasp spray. You know the kind. Point and shoot. If you hit the zombie's eyes he will not see again until the eyes are properly flushed. That of course, happens when you say so.
__________________
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46   #84
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hampton, VA
Boat: 45'=not anymore
Posts: 324
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have never seen them count the ammo, and they refuse to check you out of the country, so how would they know where it went? I have found over the years that taking a gun of any kind is not needed. You are more likely to get robbed in Miami.......i2f
I am all for carrying guns onboard but it really isn't needed in the Bahamas. I agree with Imagine but if you are going further...let's say to the greandines or near Venezuela /Trinidad or Tobago.....definitely YES take one. or two

or a third hidden in the rudder LOL. or maybe put one taped, and puttied in a fender............not in a cereal box, they know that trick.

I think I'll start a new thread....best ways to hide a gun.
__________________
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09   #85
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,827
Images: 10
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
SNIP

If you hit the zombie's eyes he will not see again

SNIP
Don't you know the reason folks buy boats is because zombies can't swim.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:47   #86
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: B.C., California
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 982
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Don't you know the reason folks buy boats is because zombies can't swim.
They climb up your anchor chain. Had that happen more than once.
__________________
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:04   #87
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boat is on the Rio Dulce
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 3,584
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Protection? M203.

Stuff the 16, I'll just go the M79....





Mark PS Only the vets will know that........ and they'll agree
Where do you get ammo for a grenade launcher?
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:04   #88
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,657
Images: 6
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Really? We don't have enough recent gun threads, we have to revive one that's been dormant for four years?

Oh yeah, and the whole wasp spray thing? Nothing but an urban legend. Doesn't work. How do I know? My wife accidentally sprayed me with the stuff once. Almost no immediate effect. You'll give your attacker a nasty headache... about an hour later.

Now you just have to figure out how to convince him to delay his attack until the headache sets in. Of course, he still won't be incapacitated, but at least he will have a headache.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:13   #89
Registered User
 
Aslan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: On the boat
Boat: Gulfstar 50
Posts: 22
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

You won't have any problems bringing a scatter gun to the Bahamas. Just keep it oiled and well packed cause it'll rust in a second if you let it. You won't have any problems bringing it back to the states either. Always remember, guns are legal to own.

I regularly bring a small arsenal to the Bahamas. Not because I'm scared in the Bahamas but because my boat is my home and I happen to own guns. Most of the time customs doesn't even bat an eyelash. I hand them my list of pistols and shotguns and rifles and crossbows and all the ammo, and I smirk. They're probably thinking I'm some crazy but who cares what they think. If I followed the herd like the rest of the sheeple I'd probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

The only place you would ever need a gun in the Bahamas is if you go to Nassau. I had to pull my pistol on some drunk there who accosted my wife at the morning fish market. His face looked like cauliflower he was so diseased with some nightmare illness. There was a cop right there and he didn't even get out of his car. I would have never shot the idiot. It was more of a preparation for pistol whipping him. Didn't want to catch whatever awful disease he had by punching him in the head. But had I not been there I'm sure a rape or something would have occurred. I also had a guy threaten my life as I dozed in a 125 degree laundry mat. He said something like dat how dem white boy get bleed by shotta. I barely opened my eyes, just pulled my shirt up and showed the but of my gat. And this was at a marina many of you have probably been to.

Story time over, I've never once had a problem anywhere else in the Bahamas. Not in the slightest. People are awesome and gentle and nice. Much safer than the states. The back streets of st Thomas or st croix though, a much different story.
__________________
Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:40   #90
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boat is on the Rio Dulce
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 3,584
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
You won't have any problems bringing a scatter gun to the Bahamas. Just keep it oiled and well packed cause it'll rust in a second if you let it. You won't have any problems bringing it back to the states either. Always remember, guns are legal to own.

I regularly bring a small arsenal to the Bahamas. Not because I'm scared in the Bahamas but because my boat is my home and I happen to own guns. Most of the time customs doesn't even bat an eyelash. I hand them my list of pistols and shotguns and rifles and crossbows and all the ammo, and I smirk. They're probably thinking I'm some crazy but who cares what they think. If I followed the herd like the rest of the sheeple I'd probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

The only place you would ever need a gun in the Bahamas is if you go to Nassau. I had to pull my pistol on some drunk there who accosted my wife at the morning fish market. His face looked like cauliflower he was so diseased with some nightmare illness. There was a cop right there and he didn't even get out of his car. I would have never shot the idiot. It was more of a preparation for pistol whipping him. Didn't want to catch whatever awful disease he had by punching him in the head. But had I not been there I'm sure a rape or something would have occurred. I also had a guy threaten my life as I dozed in a 125 degree laundry mat. He said something like dat how dem white boy get bleed by shotta. I barely opened my eyes, just pulled my shirt up and showed the but of my gat. And this was at a marina many of you have probably been to.

Story time over, I've never once had a problem anywhere else in the Bahamas. Not in the slightest. People are awesome and gentle and nice. Much safer than the states. The back streets of st Thomas or st croix though, a much different story.
Wow. That is some story. I guess keeping your gun locked up didn't happen.
__________________

__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bahamas

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Back from the Bahamas Zephyr's Aura Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 2 11-03-2009 09:15
Check this Out -- Overboard Survival Float w/ Marine Shotgun drew.ward Health, Safety & Related Gear 6 26-04-2008 22:28
Back from the Bahamas Panama Dave Atlantic & the Caribbean 33 30-07-2007 05:10
Taking the plunge Wanderlust Meets & Greets 1 08-08-2005 21:49
taking off huffco Meets & Greets 0 14-07-2003 02:00


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.