Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2009, 05:34   #16

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Its your perogative

Fortunately its not up to 'them'. Bring it. While I would not want to deal w 'authorities' I would love the idea of a 12 ga. w an extended tube loaded w buckshot and slugs nearby in case someone tries messing w cruisers in a hidden cove. It would be nice too if randomly armed boats were the norm

I like this message;

"This boat gaurded by 12 ga. Browning Auto 3 days per week...you guess which days"

I think the druggies and crooks might then shop around for those who are known to be against self defense. Maybe 'they' could fly a pink and green burgee...just to make it easier.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 05:41   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have never had an incident, so I will stick to my statement. I have NEVER seen them count ammo........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 06:04   #18
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Bahamas has got to be one of the safest places to cruise,much safer than south Florida--
many people are fearful of the unknown, try going without the gun it could help you become stronger in many ways
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:59   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Bob had a legitimate question and Gordon finally answered it for him. In the past we have had plenty of commentary on the pluses and minuses of bring firearms aboard a boat. There are plenty of those threads which can be found by doing a search.

Lets stick to the facts without criticizing Bob with a bunch of sarcastic comments.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 08:14   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Lets stick to the facts without criticizing the individual.

I don't read anywhere where someone is being criticized. I only read facts being presented as they are experienced........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 08:25   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm not going to debate this. Leave the sarcasm directed at Bob out. Cruisers Forum is supposed to be a place where everyone feels welcome.

Just to make it clear, stating personal opinion and facts about the topic is fine.

From the Rules...
Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 08:52   #22

Where is this coming from? I read a lot of peoples' blogs who are cruising the Bahamas and I have yet to read of one instance of a boarding, even reports of minor thievery are pretty much non-existent.

Other than Nassau, which has had a bad reputation (well deserved) for quite a while, the family islands seem to be far safer than just about anywhere in North America. I googled and the only crime I find involving cruisers is a fairly recent gunpoint robbery of some cruise ship passengers in Nassau. So why would someone think they are at risk of being boarded in a "hidden cove"? I don't get it.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 08:53   #23

Boat: Bristol 34
To actually answer the question

It is irritating when a simple and legitimate cruising question turns into an excuse for some people to try and force their social or political views on others.

Equipping your boat with a firearm is as legitimate a safety precation as carrying an epirb. Hopefully you will never need either device, but if you feel the need prepare for any emegency (as many sailors do) then simply learn the rules.

No problem in the Bahamas. Declare it and your ammo. Do not take it ashore. Keep it locked and secured aboard. Bahamian Customs will note it and the amount of ammo on your cruising permit.

If you want to avoid (rare) hassles upon your return to the US, simply register the weapon with US Customs before you leave by requesting the form for "Personal property taken abroad". Keep that form with your boat's papers and you only need to do it once for unlimited trips abroad with the same weapon. Technically there are limits on the amount of ammo you can take ("export") out of the US, but that is seldom an issue on a boat.

You do not need to "declare" the firearm to US Customs on your return as long as you did not acquire it abroad.

Piracy and other violent crime on the ocean is a fact. Rare though it may be in the Bahamas, nobody should be faulted for being prepared. Carry a gun or don't. It is YOUR choice and you have every right to prepare yourself and your vessel as YOU see fit.

Be discreet and never discuss having a gun aboard with other cruisers. Word travels, comments are overheard and a weapon aboard is an invitation to rob your vessel when you are not on it.

BTW, a shotgun is legal in most countries subject to certain reugulations. a TAZER and even pepper spray however, are most often NOT!!
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 08:54   #24

Have taken a shotgun with me including the ammo . Declare it and all rounds when clearing in. Have been boarded by the Defense Force twice in the last 7 yrs. They counted the rounds each time. Have been boarded by the US Coast Guard twice and Florida Patrol twice. The shotgun in plan sight and loaded in the US has never been an issue. We have it on board for security while in the US. Just don't have anyone to leave it with prior to crossing to the bahamas, so into the locked cabinet it goes. Hope this helps
Old 20-12-2009, 11:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
"leave the gun home"

To many on this forum their boat IS their home. They are departing the US from MIAMI (high crime) and might return to MIAMI (high crime).
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 12:06   #26

Boat: 36' Cascade
I only have about nine firearms in my home (36' sailboat), from 22 cal to 12 gauge. I reload all except the 22 cal onboard and shoot a lot from the deck. It's one of the things I enjoy doing! It's my home! I don't enjoy the fact freedom has to be guarded, but that's the world we live in and live as you wish, unprotected or protected. I can be outgunned, but if all were well armed and ready to defend your home I believe all would have less worry, unless your a PIRATE! PS (Them big fish board a lot quieter with a 44) Live as you wish, I'm gonna
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 13:18   #27

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Taking a shotgun to the Bahamas? Wouldn't you rather take a member of the opposite sex?

Top ten reasons a woman would be better then a gun on a Bahamas cruise:

1. They are self-cleaning...

2. You don't have to keep them locked up for your entire stay.

BTW, I answered this thread seriously in my first post with a link to noonsite. This is strictly for fun. No insult intended...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 13:57   #28

Boat: Bristol 34
Reasons 3 and 4

3. A Remington 12 bore gives a crappy back rub.

4. When you kiss your muzzle your breath smells like oil for days.

BTW - Also for fun. My last post was toooo serious.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 10:54   #29

Boat: None yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
I cannot for the life of me imagine why you would EVER need a shotgun on board in the Bahamas unless you just HAVE to be out there shooting at seagulls.

Leave it at home and save yourself the bother. If you REALLY don't feel safe without it then stay home because you are not ready to deal with the other normal things that come along with cruising....like 8ft close steep waves across the Gulf Stream or 20knt winds and your anchor dragging at 3AM.
A friend of my mother's was raped in the Bahamas, in the condo just above the one we were staying in at the time.

Feeling safe is because you learn how to deal with 8ft waves and the like. Yet you don't want to deal with rapists. Seems like a double standard.
Joe Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:08   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
... learn the rules.
No problem in the Bahamas. Declare it and your ammo. Do not take it ashore. Keep it locked and secured aboard. Bahamian Customs will note it and the amount of ammo on your cruising permit ...
Whilst I never felt the need to carry firearms aboard, I don’t mind when sensible & responsible people like Rover88 do. Some others, not so much.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas