Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

I'd go far as to say if you take off and disappear, your very unlikely to first as you'll certainly be caught, and second doesn't that strongly imply guilt?

Far better off I think to stay and face the music.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:26   #212

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd go far as to say if you take off and disappear, your very unlikely to first as you'll certainly be caught, and second doesn't that strongly imply guilt?

Far better off I think to stay and face the music.

That really depends on the situation, get mugged and defend yourself on a sidewalk in the middle of the night where it is just you around, no witnesses, not very likely they would even know who to look for.

Have something happen in the middle of a crowded square, that is different. I'm still not sticking around, my reason for not doing so is this simple, if I am attacked by one and have to defend myself, there is high likelihood they have friends/accomplices who now have reason to do me in.

The thing you need to do if you are going to run is get out of sight and change clothing asap.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 13:37   #213
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As a64 said. If the criminal is found with a gun in hand, there is no way to prove where it came from. Remember, this is a throw-away, typically with no serial numbers or purchase records. Remember, this is some guy that has snuck onto your boat, typically at night or on a mooring, pretty much certain to be out of sight of any witnesses.

So, who is to say what was in his hands? In the US, innocent people have been shot routinely by police who said "I thought he had a gun" when they were producing a wallet, cell phone, or comb. And that has been held enough justification to use lethal force against them, pretty much every time.

When someone tries to use lethal force against you, you are almost always justified in responding with lethal force. Absent the lethal force being threatened against you? Most places will crucify you for using it first.

As to planting a weapon being moral or ethical, and whether someone panics or remembers what to do in a confrontation...that's a whole other kettle of fish. There's plenty of folks who would say "Why waste a throwaway, when you can just dump the body overboard?"

Hey, I've got limited pity for anyone who comes around to attack me in the middle of the night. Maybe he's got a gun, maybe he's got a machete, maybe he's just built like a bull and can snap my neck like kindling. I don't really care why he's trying to harm me, nor do I care what damage he may take as a result of that. That was his choice to make before starting things.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 13:51   #214

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
As a64 said. If the criminal is found with a gun in hand, there is no way to prove where it came from. Remember, this is a throw-away, typically with no serial numbers or purchase records. Remember, this is some guy that has snuck onto your boat, typically at night or on a mooring, pretty much certain to be out of sight of any witnesses.
Assuming nobody can say otherwise, this is all pretty simple:

1. You just KILLED someone. No big deal, you're calm as a cucumber.

2. Wipe any and all prints from the highly illegal throw-away you already had handy (but no official or anyone else ever saw, but you keep on / near you at all times so you can grab it in a split second when needed).

3. Dead body not gloved up? Add his prints in believable manner.

Easy! I don't see how anyone could say this is possibly not the best advise ever ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That was his choice to make before starting things.
Maybe it's just a drunken sailor who though he was climbing on his on boat
Old 06-03-2016, 14:08   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just want on record that I do not think a throw away is a good thing, I think it criminal to say the least, is I am sure illegal and will get you tossed into prison for merely possessing such a thing.
If you can go through all that, then surely you can take measures that will make it extremely unlikely to ever need such a thing to begin with.
Just possessing such a thing shows premeditation to murder doesn't it?

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 14:47   #216
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Methinks there's a lot of John Wayne Hollywood ******** and zero real life experience..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 15:56   #217

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

An American or indeed any person, in the Bahamas or indeed anywhere, might indeed find himself in jail for shooting an attacker. Is this worse than being a dead victim? Just saying.
Old 06-03-2016, 16:06   #218

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Is this worse than being a dead victim? Just saying.
In my opinion (and that's personal): yes, in some countries I'd prefer death over going to prison (where I might very well get murdered anyway - just saying).

And secondly, why do so many posts assume that an attacker is willing to kill? Not saying that's never the case - we all know there's plenty of people willing to kill for some cash or gear (both to steal and to protect it).

But I can't help but wonder how many attackers are willing to kill, and how many just want whatever cash or valuables you have (rhetorical question as I doubt there's any numbers to go on and will depend on many factors).

As long as it's not life or death, I don't want anyone to die over what little money or valuables I have - or even the boat, for that matter.

But again, that's just me ...
Old 06-03-2016, 16:21   #219

Boat: O'Day 28

Trust me. And hit that volume!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 16:30   #220
vjm

I am a criminal defense attorney. My clients have IQs from the 60s to 120, so much like the general population and this board. I guarantee you all my clients festering in jails and prisons were positive they could get away with it. Some by planning, some by execution, some by disposing of evidence. You will get caught. The schemes floated on this thread are laughable in the details they overlook, and promote criminal behavior. I hope no one who reads them is foolish enough to apply them in real life.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 16:38   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
I cannot for the life of me imagine why you would EVER need a shotgun on board in the Bahamas unless you just HAVE to be out there shooting at seagulls.

Leave it at home and save yourself the bother. If you REALLY don't feel safe without it then stay home because you are not ready to deal with the other normal things that come along with cruising....like 8ft close steep waves across the Gulf Stream or 20knt winds and your anchor dragging at 3AM.
A German was just killed off St. Vincent. That is why he would like a gun. No one here needs a lecture from you regarding guns. If you don't want to sail with one, don't.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 16:43   #222

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
That was interesting... When I came to this country (US from UK) I was fascinated by guns and I do own several. But recently there seems to be an epidemic of mass shootings, I'm not saying banning guns would solve this problem but honestly wtf is going on.

I'll be living on board in LaPorte TX hopefully next year and I'm still unsure about the gun situation, take one or not?
There does seem to be. But epidemic is an inflammatory term being used that, by it's definition, does not describe the apparent increase.
While there is an up-tick in that the overall murder rate continues to drop. (US)
Seems the nooze helps people who want to have a blaze of glory. Lotta psychology there.
Another part of what is going on is the polarization caused by the nooze agencies. No longer are they interested in simply broadcasting "news" but are political agencies used to scare their viewers into following a particular party line.
Old 06-03-2016, 16:47   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Leave the weapons at home. We spent 7 months there in many different part and with the exception of Nassau never felt unsafe. In fact we lock the boat more in the states.
I don't feel unsafe where I live, but I carry a concealed weapon. I also don't feel like my house is about to burn down, but I carry insurance in case it does.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 16:52   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post
I don't feel unsafe where I live, but I carry a concealed weapon. I also don't feel like my house is about to burn down, but I carry insurance in case it does.
And a fire extinguisher!
Old 06-03-2016, 16:53   #225
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post
Yeah.. but there its a way of life.. like psychiatrists and lawyers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas