Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2007, 22:32   #1

Tagging along with a crew.

First off, I don't have any experience with sailing.

I have half a year off before I start college, and wanted to sail somewhere for a fairly cheap cost. I can't afford to rent a boat, but my question is; are people in my position able to find a spot on a crew even if they don't have sailing experience? I'd obviously pay just to be on board, if there is no way I can help out.

My other option is just to go on one of those "royal carribean" cruise lines or something, which I don't really want to do.
Vovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 22:37   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Start taking lessons. Join and hang out at the local yacht club. Just do it and you'll be on your way............................_/)
Old 20-11-2007, 23:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Vovin - You don't say where you are located. It can be difficult to find a boat to crew on however don't be discouraged.

If you have the abillity, find the busiest harbor you can. Find the most active marina operators, offer to help out, meet some people, do some networking. Who knows, it could work out.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 11:54   #4

Oh, sorry i'm from Toronto (it should say it now)

I don't know if there is a busy harbor around here or not.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Oh, sorry i'm from Toronto (it should say it now)

I don't know if there is a busy harbor around here or not.
Jeez, what's that blue thing down the other side of the Gardiner?

There's a pile of yacht clubs and sailing clubs in Toronto from Pickering west past Port Credit. You can get lessons at some, or social memberships, and that's your key to getting to know boat owners and getting out on boats. I'm not from the smoke, others are more familiar with the various clubs. Perhaps Vasco will weigh in here.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:55   #6

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Drop us an email looking for a crew from Belize City to Key West pay for transport to and from
cchris0411@aol.com
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 15:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
There's a pile of yacht clubs and sailing clubs in Toronto from Pickering west past Port Credit. You can get lessons at some, or social memberships, and that's your key to getting to know boat owners and getting out on boats. I'm not from the smoke, others are more familiar with the various clubs. Perhaps Vasco will weigh in here.
Cool. Actually i'm from Pickering, but I just say Toronto because people know where that is. I've seen boats on the harbor, I just don't know how big the sailing scene is down there.The problem with getting lessons is it may take too much time. I can only take a trip somewhere between february and august. I don't know how long it takes to get lessons and everything.

Also I was looking for a cheap way to go somewhere. Paying for lessons would be expensive I assume. I just looked at my local yacht club and I could just go on a royal caribbean cruise for cheaper than the lessons themselves.
Old 21-11-2007, 16:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Cool. Actually i'm from Pickering, but I just say Toronto because people know where that is. I've seen boats on the harbor, I just don't know how big the sailing scene is down there.The problem with getting lessons is it may take too much time. I can only take a trip somewhere between february and august. I don't know how long it takes to get lessons and everything.

Also I was looking for a cheap way to go somewhere. Paying for lessons would be expensive I assume. I just looked at my local yacht club and I could just go on a royal caribbean cruise for cheaper than the lessons themselves.
Right, that's not really going to work for you. Surprises me that the lessons would be that expensive, most clubs keep them reasonable so as not to scare off new people. Only other thing I can suggest is to see if you can line something up down south for Feb., there's lots of places that do sailing lessons in Florida and the Caribbean but that's not going to be cheap either.

You may already know this but there's a world of difference between cruising on a yacht and a cruise on a big ship. About the only similarity is they both float. Good luck!
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 19:08   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ativa View Post
Drop us an email looking for a crew from Belize City to Key West pay for transport to and from
cchris0411@aol.com
You have mail.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote