Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 16:02   #1

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Sydney to Hobart yacht race

Only two days to go before the start of the yacht race begins , and firstly hope every one arrives safely in Hobart , but I think this yrs race is going to be one of the most exciting , and I think the big super maxis will make a big charge down the nsw Coast until Gabo island where it looks like they will get hit by substantial southerly winds .

Wildest wild oats might be a favourite to take line honours and have just recently done some upgrades for heavy weather sailing they have broken there boom and are working around the clock to repair it so may go into the race with it untested . Then you have the new super 100 maxi Commanche from usa who could have a big say in line honours but this yacht is unproven yet in a race like Sydney to Hobart . And also it was great to see the yachting comradeship of wild oats and other yachties who helped out the Commanche grew in rigging and getting yacht into the water when it arrived in Oz .

I think one of the 3 Volvo open 70 yachts will take line honours perticualy the yacht black jack has a great chance of line honours .
as when the southerly hits those big super maxis they will have to power down
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 16:34   #2

Boat: Monk 36
Re: Sydney to Hobart yacht race

It will be interesting to see how things go. Wild Oats comes with good cred.
We are pushing for Comanche - we did some of the composites tooling work on the beast and we are all excited to see it in competition.
Don't let us down!
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 01:07   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As for me, I hope that all the Maxi's run out of diesel and have to retire, leaving the race to boats that are real sailboats. Frankly, the race, at least at the top end, has turned into a farce as far as a yacht race goes. Not my cup of tea at all any more. The "lesser" classes, those without diesel powered hydraulics, are far more interesting to sailors, but not to the TV pundits, so we will have to dig a bit to follow them.

We just sailed the same course (starting 15 miles north of Sydney) and enjoyed it (mostly). And I will admit that we motored some of the way in very light airs, but I wasn't entered into a "yacht race".

Jim
Old 24-12-2014, 03:21   #4

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

I've grown to see the beauty in the engineering and design in the maxi's despite the basic ludicrous premise of a 120hp engine on a sailboat. Multiple foils, DSS, it's an impressive engineering effort and IMO they look amazing under sail.

Old 24-12-2014, 04:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
It will be interesting to see how things go. Wild Oats comes with good cred.
We are pushing for Comanche - we did some of the composites tooling work on the beast and we are all excited to see it in competition.
Don't let us down!
I am pretty excited to see how Comanche fairs... Did a lot of reading that was public...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As for me, I hope that all the Maxi's run out of diesel and have to retire, leaving the race to boats that are real sailboats. Frankly, the race, at least at the top end, has turned into a farce as far as a yacht race goes. Not my cup of tea at all any more. The "lesser" classes, those without diesel powered hydraulics, are far more interesting to sailors, but not to the TV pundits, so we will have to dig a bit to follow them.

We just sailed the same course (starting 15 miles north of Sydney) and enjoyed it (mostly). And I will admit that we motored some of the way in very light airs, but I wasn't entered into a "yacht race".

Jim
I'm with Jim on this one... Aux power to race just goes against all the spirit of racing boats...

Jim... Didn't you and Ann have some interaction with an Oat boat??? I read something I thought???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I've grown to see the beauty in the engineering and design in the maxi's despite the basic ludicrous premise of a 120hp engine on a sailboat. Multiple foils, DSS, it's an impressive engineering effort and IMO they look amazing under sail
Hey now!
I gotta 110 hp plant... course it don't run nuthin' but the prop and the electric generating whirlies...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 06:11   #6

Boat: valiant 40

Quote:

Jim
Yes my opinion as well. I'm not against innovative development. But enjoy sailing pure and simple
Old 24-12-2014, 08:42   #7

Being from New England I am pulling for the beast Comanche however I think Rags maybe the dark horse in this rodeo...
BJ
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 09:00   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Well having done 8 Sydney to Hobarts on boats ranging from 30ft to 84ft, I agree that the fun racing is between the boats further back in the field. If you really want a buzz, try doing the race on a 30ft S&S (Defiance 30) - makes it a long way for a beer! That year we raced against an East Coast 31 all the way to Hobart and were never more than half a mile apart, we beat them by about 300 yards! Come on Boxing Day!
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 12:41   #9

Boat: Mummery 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
Yes my opinion as well. I'm not against innovative development. But enjoy sailing pure and simple
Nothing like cruising down east coast Tassie living on flathead.
If those big boats run diesels. What does the crew do? Ballast?
goodoldwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:02   #10

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:37   #11

Boat: Mummery 34

This may not be fair but..... Do they have black sails so that the diesel soot won't show?
What about a Sydney Hobart Stink Boat Race.

I know there are plenty of good sailors amongst them so can't take too much mickey out on them. Some very good competitive and real sportsmen.
goodoldwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:41   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
This may not be fair but..... Do they have black sails so that the diesel soot won't show?
Good one! Big grin here...

Jim

PS I do think the engineering is interesting and impressive, and that the big boats are kinda pretty... it just ain't yacht racing!
Old 24-12-2014, 13:53   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
Well having done 8 Sydney to Hobarts on boats ranging from 30ft to 84ft, I agree that the fun racing is between the boats further back in the field. If you really want a buzz, try doing the race on a 30ft S&S (Defiance 30) - makes it a long way for a beer! That year we raced against an East Coast 31 all the way to Hobart and were never more than half a mile apart, we beat them by about 300 yards! Come on Boxing Day!
Wow, several days of close hard racing 24/7, that must been both exhausting and exhilarating and then to win the duel would have the icing on the cake. I cant imagine how welcome the beer would have.

I'm not a racer but I get the excitement that close one on one racing gives you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-12-2014, 14:04   #15

Quote:
Good one! Big grin here...

Jim

PS I do think the engineering is interesting and impressive, and that the big boats are kinda pretty... it just ain't yacht racing!
I share you thoughts on the diesel thing Jim but I wonder if they should just change the name to Sydney to Hobart Boat race.

It is just racing so maybe if these big diesel buggas get fast enough, they will let the Cats get into the field as well.

Tags
race, sydney, yacht