Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 13:43   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Sydney to Hobart yacht race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Last year that was an attempt to do that but they give up. I have nor heard anything about this year.
Yes - Sean Langman (on MAluka of Kermandie this year and many other years, as well as some maxis over the time) was very intent on trying to get a race happening at the same time with his Team Australia among others. Not sufficient interest when it isn't part of the "big dance". In 1996 (I think) two middling cats, did shadow the race for a day or say, sailed round the leaders a few times then went home.

Quote:
I am all in favor of the multihulls to be allowed on this and all races but I think you are wrong: From all races this is the one where they would stand a bigger chance to be beaten by monohulls, at least in what regards what they have on that part of the world that are some older modified ORMA boats. I have many doubts that on the Sydney Hobart conditions the 60ft trimarans would be a match for the 100ft monohull but certainly I would very much like to see that
Seriously, you don't think that boats that go round the world setting records would be a match for baots that don't? Its been a long time since a mono crewed or solo/short handed held any of the world sailing records. A long time, Boats that hold the ratified world record for the passage time from Sydney to Hobart wouldn't be fast/strong enough. I suspect that doing the southern ocean from Cape Aghulas to Cape horn might be almost as hard as the legendary Sydney to Hobart 600 miles.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 14:10   #77

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Factor,

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Polux meant that remark in jest, as Comanche had just been shown to be so obviously not the fastest boat in the world.
Yes and obviously I am referring to monohulls. There was plenty of statments regarding that:
"Comanche, built to be the fastest"This yacht is designed to be a full-on record-breaker..."

An in fact I believe it is the fastest multihull on most of the sailing and sea conditions....but not in all. Sydney Hobart and Med races will probably be the worst racing conditions for Comanche and even so Wild Oats was lucky with the conditions, with plenty of upwind sailing and mostly the weak winds with big seas near the strait (that's where it won the race)...and even so Comanche almost caught him.

I am quite sure that in a Transat or on the Transpacific the Comanche will be untouchable in what regards monohulls.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 14:29   #78

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Yes and obviously I am referring to monohulls. There was plenty of statments regarding that:
"Comanche, built to be the fastest"This yacht is designed to be a full-on record-breaker..."

An in fact I believe it is the fastest multihull on most of the sailing and sea conditions....but not in all. Sydney Hobart and Med races will probably be the worst racing conditions for Comanche and even so Wild Oats was lucky with the conditions, with plenty of upwind sailing and mostly the weak winds with big seas near the strait (that's where it won the race)...and even so Comanche almost caught him.

I am quite sure that in a Transat or on the Transpacific the Comanche will be untouchable in what regards monohulls.
I suspect you would be correct. Comanche needs the conditions and then it might be a record breaker.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 14:31   #79

Sydney to Hobart: Storm delivers final blow to battered fleet | The Mercury

This is where the real S2H test occurred but it was barely reported on. It's the same with the overall winner, line honours is all the public and media see as counting for anything.
Old 29-12-2014, 14:33   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously, you don't think that boats that go round the world setting records would be a match for baots that don't?
yes but to my knowledge you don't have those boats on Australia but older and smaller ORMA class multihulls. The ORMA class were dificult boats to sail with a story of many capsizes on Transats and unfortunately not always without victims.

Quote:
Its been a long time since a mono crewed or solo/short handed held any of the world sailing records. A long time, Boats that hold the ratified world record for the passage time from Sydney to Hobart wouldn't be fast/strong enough. I suspect that doing the southern ocean from Cape Aghulas to Cape horn might be almost as hard as the legendary Sydney to Hobart 600 miles.
Yes but when you set a record on a multihull (or monohull) you select carefully the time for the passage and get as much downwind sailing you can get.

On this time of the year the Sydney Hobart is mostly an upwind sailing race with nasty seas, the worst conditions for a multihull. No so much for the big ones, the record breakers, but to 60ft Orma, very nasty conditions that can lead to capsizes and to a slower performance. Even so I think they should be allowed and I am very curious regarding the compared performances of 100ft monohulls with 60ft multihulls and I believe that in nasty conditions probably the monohulls would be faster.

I have been comparing the performances of top racing 50ft multihulls (multi50) with the performance of Open 60's on the different editions of "Route du Rhum" and what you can see is that on nasty conditions the Open 60 are faster and on more clement conditions the Multi 50 are faster.

Off course that is a Transat where the conditions are better for multihull then on an upwind race like the Sydney Hobart and the difference in sizes are also bigger 50 to 60ft on the Route du Rhum, 60 to 100ft on the Sidney Hobart. I would like very much to have the opportunity to see that "match" but I would not be beating on the Multihulls, if they were the old ORMA and if the conditions on the race were hard.
Old 29-12-2014, 15:30   #81
Marine Service Provider

Seriously again, you think the 600 miles of what is effectively a coastal run, is harder than beneath the southern capes and up and down the atlantic for 21,600 miles. I mean seriously?

Oh and BTW - wild oats did not WIN the Sydney to Hobart 2014. At this stage it appears Love and War did.
Old 29-12-2014, 16:42   #82

Quote:
Seriously again, you think the 600 miles of what is effectively a coastal run, is harder than beneath the southern capes and up and down the atlantic for 21,600 miles. I mean seriously?
No, but I do not understand what you mean. The 60 Orma class trimarans never circumnavigated to my knowledge. Maybe you can explain me of what you are talking about. There are a big difference in seaworthiness between a 60ft Orma and a maxi trimaran, the ones that circumnavigate. As I said that is no excuse to not allow trimarans on the Sydney Hobart but it is going to be though and I bet we will see a lot of breakage and probably some capsizes.
Old 29-12-2014, 17:16   #83
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No, but I do not understand what you mean. The 60 Orma class trimarans never circumnavigated to my knowledge. Maybe you can explain me of what you are talking about. There are a big difference in seaworthiness between a 60ft Orma and a maxi trimaran, the ones that circumnavigate. As I said that is no excuse to not allow trimarans on the Sydney Hobart but it is going to be though and I bet we will see a lot of breakage and probably some capsizes.
I didnt realise that you had set a rule that only orma 60s could compete.
Old 29-12-2014, 17:32   #84

Quote:
I didnt realise that you had set a rule that only orma 60s could compete.
No, but it was you that mentioned Team Australia (among others) and that one is an ORMA class trimaran. There are anything bigger,faster and more seaworthy in Australia or NZ than the old ORMA class?
Old 29-12-2014, 17:42   #85
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

At least if the multis could participate, one may be able to more fully finalise the question of the relative sea-worthiness of the different hull types.

This race has a history of significantly testing the sea-worthiness of vessels.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:58   #86
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Last year that was an attempt to do that but they give up. I have nor heard anything about this year. If they would mix with the fleet they would be news and would be filmed and that was not the case.

Thanks, probably what I was thinking of and then got confused - happens a bit more these days
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 18:19   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
At least if the multis could participate, one may be able to more fully finalise the question of the relative sea-worthiness of the different hull types.

This race has a history of significantly testing the sea-worthiness of vessels.
I agree, and also to know more about the compared performance of diverse types of sailboats, specially in what regards multihulls going upwind with bad weather.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:45   #88

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I wonder how those ORMA tri`s can sail to weather in the S2H, or if there is any other big multi designed for those racing conditions? upwind? just asking because i have no idea , just trying to figúrate if they are baned by safety reasons or other reason...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 18:50   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I wonder how those ORMA tri`s can sail to weather in the S2H, or if there is any other big multi designed for those racing conditions? upwind? just asking because i have no idea , just trying to figúrate if they are baned by safety reasons or other reason...
My understanding is its for old fashioned safety reasons.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:54   #90

Quote:

Oh and BTW - wild oats did not WIN the Sydney to Hobart 2014. At this stage it appears Love and War did.
Wild Oats has won line honours which is what the public generally care about.

"Basically a coastal run"! Seriously?

Tags
race, sydney, yacht