Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 18:15   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Sydney to Hobart yacht race

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Rustic charm I wouldn't worry to much about weather they are electronic computerised mechanised yachts when you read half the threads on here about some it's more like they want to have a NASA type mission control on there cruising yachts for me I think these super maxis are pretty amazing and this yr in Nice I had the chance to sail on a super maxi called li lo german built yacht it was just amazing experience

just have a look at how they took the yacht formally known as Lalana Now Rio 100 too New Zealand and cut it up and and rebuilt her check out there face book page some good photos on there
'Whether' lol

I can certainly appreciate their amazing engineering. And I know the big fast boats is what keeps the public interested. Just 12 minutes into the race and it's clear that the technological break throughs of a vessel like Commanche are what draws crowds.

But with the Americas cup now completely an elite sport, I'd like to see some world class sailing events remain for what I might call traditional sailing races.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 18:37   #32

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Fantastic start and too see the sheer power and might I say the grace of these yachts is just majestic and by the time they reached the Sydney heads I see both Comanche and wild oats already had a reef in

And I see it's only half a knot the difference in boat speed at moment. Comanche 13 knots wild oats 12.5 knots
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 20:35   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Well the race is on! Comanche is showing her pedigree well and truly, but once the milder weather changes Wild Oats narrower beam may come into its fore as she will slice through the seas while Comanche's wider beam at the stern may cause her to drag her stern a bit like a spoon through butter rather than a knife through butter! Interesting to see that Comanche has chines which enable her to sit on the lee chine with most of the boat out of the water when on the wond - rather like a twin hull cat hull. She sure looked great going up the harbour and out through the heads.
Interesting watching the tactics, both Comanche and Wild Oats heading off shore seekinh the Breat Australian East Current which runs from North to South while Loyal tacked inshore looking for a lift from the swells along the coast.
My option has always been to head diagonally off shore until we hit the warmer water (current flow) then head south with the lift from the current. either way has its advantages, remember going too far off shore means that you have to come in to be on the run past Tasman Island Light.
The next 24 hours will be interwsting. Still the 'great race' is back in the middle of the field!
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 22:44   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
world class sailing events remain for what I might call traditional sailing races.
Running an engine all the way is traditional?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 23:24   #35

Ok factor take out these maxis and do you think there would be the same interest and don,t forget this is a handicap race so whilest the maxis may cross the line first a small yacht still has the chance to be the overall winner

and these maxis don't all operate the same way with there 150hp engines Comanche is fully hydraulic and wild oats is electric

And I see now perpetual loyal has the lead by a couple of NM cruising at 13.9 knots
And two smaller yachts have pulled out already with rudder failure and hull damage
Old 25-12-2014, 23:29   #36

There was plenty of interest before they allowed the motor sailers.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 00:11   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I miss the pure sailing as well. This could easily be fixed with a rule change.

One big advantage is that some of the technology has flow on potential to cruising yachts. We don't want to run an engine full time, but the motive power is not that important and could be solar/wind/fuel cell if some of the ideas were incorporated on a smaller scale.

Cruising sailors are getting older and the boats are getting bigger.

I would love to see move coverage of the technology behind these boats rather than just the racing.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 02:42   #38
Marine Service Provider

Instead of banning boats with more than one hull they could just make them all sailing boats - there is a novel idea, rather than motor boats. Looking at Comanche sailing to windward it looked a bit like a big multi from the back, soooo wide.
Old 26-12-2014, 13:46   #39

Well the first of the super maxis and 2011 winner perpetual loyal is out of the race with hull de lamination and my tip for possible line honours black jack is in 4th some 15 NM behind leading yacht Comanche as they approach the paddock ( bass strait )
Old 26-12-2014, 13:55   #40

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Running an engine all the way is traditional?
That was NOT my quote!

I'm a supporter of yacht races that DONT run engines!
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 14:24   #41

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Impresive BEAST!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bi4jWHQ_s4E
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 14:50   #42

Impressive yes and in that vidieo seeing the wake it leaves behind, you would think she is doing 30knots oh that's right the knockers would have you say that's the 150 hp engine that is fitted creating that .

And wild oats has just taken the lead now
Old 26-12-2014, 19:22   #43
Marine Service Provider

No I think we all appreciate a beautiful machine like Comanche, and at least all her winches are manual not powered like the other big boats, but the fact remains, if the engine stops for any length of time on a canting keel maxi then its bye bye, must withdraw as the keel cannot be moved quick enough manually. Seems amazing to me that we have a sail boat race where the winner will run an engine all the way to Hobart.
Old 26-12-2014, 21:55   #44

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Go Wild Oats, Go! Hells bells, who care if the maxies run engines, either way it's a race! There are plenty of smaller boats without canting keets but with electric winches relying on solar and wind power in the remainder of the fleet

Without the space age maxies there would be no press coverage, no sponsorship, not much public interest and basically no race. While I'm a big fan of the tight racing amongst the smaller boats, generating public interest and therefore sponsorship/media coverage is also essential.
However, it would be nice to see the media put more effort into covering the middle/back of the fleet.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 22:57   #45

Johnno I agree but don't get too excited just yet. I recon it will be a 3 yacht race from the Tasman lights Comanche 6 knots and wild oats 11.7 knots are heading east at moment whilest ragamuffin 13.5knot,
and * ich bann now doing 17 knots are heading west I have done a bit of calculation with the grib files on the wind and will pick up around 22 hrs tonight and favour ragamuffin over all but at the same time this will allow Comanche to catch wild oats

I recon they will cross the line around 16.00 aest

Tags
race, sydney, yacht