Old 29-12-2014, 20:04   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sydney to Hobart yacht race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
"Basically a coastal run"! Seriously?
Well, yes, sorta! The rhumb line course is never more than about 70 nm from land, and in actual fact, does not cross Bass Straits. Not to say that it can't be very challenging, mind you, but the challenges are very different than a transoceanic passage in high latitudes.

Jim

Old 29-12-2014, 20:53   #92

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

The winner.

http://www.news.sail-world.com/Rolex...__VIDEO/130286

Old 29-12-2014, 21:25   #93
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Bludi tough way to win a race - well done Wild Rose
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 23:44   #94

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, yes, sorta! The rhumb line course is never more than about 70 nm from land, and in actual fact, does not cross Bass Straits. Not to say that it can't be very challenging, mind you, but the challenges are very different than a transoceanic passage in high latitudes.

Jim
Good aye Jim, how's it hanging !

I don't have the experience to really argue the point, but I would have thought 70 miles from land 'is' ocean racing, not coastal. Certainly my marine / regulation definition it's not coastal.

And whilst they don't go 'into' Bass Strait' I would have thought by definition they are 'crossing' Bass strait. And at the worst place possible where the Tasman Sea and water and weather from the Strait merges.
Old 30-12-2014, 00:08   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good aye Jim, how's it hanging !

I don't have the experience to really argue the point, but I would have thought 70 miles from land 'is' ocean racing, not coastal. Certainly my marine / regulation definition it's not coastal.

And whilst they don't go 'into' Bass Strait' I would have thought by definition they are 'crossing' Bass strait. And at the worst place possible where the Tasman Sea and water and weather from the Strait merges.
By that definition, sailing from Gladstone to New Cal to N Zed to Tassie is "crossing Bass straits". The rhumb for this race line is well to the east of the continental shelf, and it is the interaction of wind, tidal currents and shallow water in Bass Straits that has earned its rep as a killer area.

And 70 miles isn't very far offshore, really. One is still in range of rescue by helicopter or tow boat, not too many hours from a harbour of refuge and so on. The guys who race from southern cape to southern cape face far greater challenges IMO.

And FWIW, we made the same passage a few days ago. We had the blessing of choosing our departure weather, and we are pretty conservative in that. This marked out 25th "crossing of the Strait", and we have yet to encounter any bad conditions (touching wood surreptitiously). I doubt if anyone can make the same statement about doubling the Horn so my comparison still stands.

I'm not slagging the S2H guys. It is often a tough race, but the hype gets to me at times.

Jim
Old 30-12-2014, 00:48   #96

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

What the hull- go to multis - headline in the Courier Mail today.

Some interesting comments reported by James Spithill the America’s Cup skipper who was a helmsman on Comanche that he felt the S2H could attract more international entries and interest from a young generation of sailors if a division of spectacular multihulls was added.

He was headed back to Sydney to prepare for a race on Shawn Langman’s trimaran.

- the Pittwater to Sydney race.Apparentely he was quoted saying “I’d love to seea multihull division in the Hobart. There used to be a fear factor with these boats but people now go wow ”

“Its innovation he said. In the America’s Cup it (multihulls) has got more people into sailing.”

Apparently he compared the resistance to multihulls to the initial resistance to adding different styles of cricket such as 1-dayers and Twenty/20 before gathering additional interest in the sport.

Interesting comments from the winning America’s Cup skipper and World Sailor of the Year.
cheers
Old 30-12-2014, 01:33   #97

For me the big boats are the main interest, but most conversation seems to revolve around the IRC and cruising categories. And the number of bendytoys.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 01:36   #98

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
By that definition, sailing from Gladstone to New Cal to N Zed to Tassie is "crossing Bass straits". The rhumb for this race line is well to the east of the continental shelf, and it is the interaction of wind, tidal currents and shallow water in Bass Straits that has earned its rep as a killer area.

And 70 miles isn't very far offshore, really. One is still in range of rescue by helicopter or tow boat, not too many hours from a harbour of refuge and so on. The guys who race from southern cape to southern cape face far greater challenges IMO.

And FWIW, we made the same passage a few days ago. We had the blessing of choosing our departure weather, and we are pretty conservative in that. This marked out 25th "crossing of the Strait", and we have yet to encounter any bad conditions (touching wood surreptitiously). I doubt if anyone can make the same statement about doubling the Horn so my comparison still stands.
U
I'm not slagging the S2H guys. It is often a tough race, but the hype gets to me at times.

Jim
I don't get your reference from Gladstone, to New Caledonia, New Zealand I can't see how it fits with any definition of coastal.

And I certainly don't wish to dispute the added isolation and task that those doing a cape to Cape do either.

I can see now what you mean with where they sail. They seem to skirt the edges of Bass Strait. Though, seems to me they still go through the worst area.

I've only crossed it five times, but so far I've been smack in the middle. Once in bad weather on our maiden trip with the boat from SA. I too think the reputation is a bit of hype at times. Though the 1998 race was certainly well deserved.
Old 30-12-2014, 02:00   #99
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am all for opening it up to all types and classes of boats including fast open water powerboats.

Then line honors is not restricted to one dimension
Old 30-12-2014, 02:02   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:

"Basically a coastal run"! Seriously?
Mate - when I do it I am only out of mobile phone range for about 12 hours - so yep thats a good guide for coastal run
Old 30-12-2014, 02:31   #101
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

So very sad to read that Landfall has retired with sail damage. Makes Southern Myth from our club the official finalist. Lovely boat, she's moored just down from me and I always stop to admire her on my way past.

Looks like Landfall is heading for Blackmans Bay, has anyone heard what they plan to do next?

Matt
Old 30-12-2014, 02:34   #102

Quote:
So... Jim, confess please. How long did the journey take you, not including the stops?

Will you and Ann be competing next year?

Matt
Old 30-12-2014, 02:40   #103
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Also very sad to hear of the fatal loss of single engine small plane (2 POB) that went in while filming near the finish.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 02:58   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Also very sad to hear of the fatal loss of single engine small plane (2 POB) that went in while filming near the finish.
Yes, sorry, very good point.

Matt
Old 30-12-2014, 03:07   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
So... Jim, confess please. How long did the journey take you, not including the stops?

Will you and Ann be competing next year?

Matt
Hmm.. about 26 hours from Pittwater to Eden, and then a few days later,
from Bitangabee Creek (about 15 miles south of Eden) it was ~2 1/2 days to Dunally, and another 8 hours from there to Kettering... roughly the same distance as if we'd sailed to Hobart. There was some use of diesel in the lighter portions (read glassy calm) and 20 hours or so of dense fog... not fun!

And no, we won't be competing in anything more serious than a chili cookoff or a tall tales contest.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
race, sydney, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: