Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 23:54   #346

Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And there is a rumour running around Eden that WO had engine problems too... wonder if that is true, and if so, how did that influence the decision?

Jim
I'd love to have that rumour confirmed! Australia's most glamorous racing mega buck maxi sailing yacht having to retire from its defence of line honours in Australia's most hyped ocean sailing race because it's ENGINE malfunctioned!

It's enough to make a millionaire go to his "snob job" island resort and cry into his overrated plonk.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 00:11   #347

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I'd love to have that rumour confirmed! Australia's most glamorous racing mega buck maxi sailing yacht having to retire from its defence of line honours in Australia's most hyped ocean sailing race because it's ENGINE malfunctioned!

It's enough to make a millionaire go to his "snob job" island resort and cry into his overrated plonk.
It would be ironic wouldn't it engine failing in a sailing race
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 00:58   #348
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
A top professional rally pilot that is fighting for victory will only continue racing with a damaged car if he remains with possibilities to finish among the first and get some points for the championship. If not he would chose to retire for not damaging more the car.

An amateur on that rally, even with a damaged car will try to finish the rally because finishing means something to him (and nothing for the top pilot that has done and probably won many rallies).t.
I am a semi professional rally co-pilot and I couldn't disagree more, and Ari Vatenan, who could drive a bit, would also strongly disagree. And the reason is that you never know what will hap[pen, we have limped home in rallies and picked up enough points to win a national championship.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 01:01   #349
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What Media? What are you referring too?
The media you mentioned in your post.

Quote:
......and Polux is correct, Comanche spend 40 minutes according to media fixing their rudder stock enough to get going again.
Old 28-12-2015, 01:03   #350
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
If you go to the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia web site you will find the entry conditions which include what you need to qualify to enter, crew and vessel requirements. The only thing missing is the cost from memory.
Entry fee is in the notice of race.
Old 28-12-2015, 01:03   #351

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I am a semi professional rally co-pilot and I couldn't disagree more, and Ari Vatenan, who could drive a bit, would also strongly disagree. And the reason is that you never know what will hap[pen, we have limped home in rallies and picked up enough points to win a national championship.
I agree, and consider that both of the boats ahead of WO subsequently were damaged. As it happened, they both were able to continue... but what if they had not been able? Then WO might have "limped" home with headsails... first!

But the biz manager said quit...

jim
Old 28-12-2015, 01:12   #352
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Ragamuffin down but not out - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2015

Ragamuffin demonstrates a "proper" competitive spirit - worth reading IMO!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 01:20   #353

Quote:
You just 'disagreed' with Polux, and yet then advised you did exactly what Polux said
Old 28-12-2015, 01:24   #354

Quote:
The media you mentioned in your post.
Ok, I get you. Now I understand your post I think it was retorical hey?

That's retorical too
Old 28-12-2015, 03:23   #355

Well done Comanche
First to Hobart and done in 2D 8H 58M.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-12-2015, 03:37   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well done Comanche
First to Hobart and done in 2D 8H 58M.
Yep, well fought, well deserved.

Rambler will win the overall first place.
Old 28-12-2015, 03:47   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
One Maxi I know had a racing main and an older delivery main. Ditto with couple of headsails.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
That's makes sense to my (unracing) mind.
Old 28-12-2015, 04:45   #358

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

I believe just a bad interpretation of this statement We lost the main engine of the boat so it was all over,” ...
He was referring to the mainsail not to the boat engine.

Several other boats, including some as small as a 39ft had to retire or due to engine problems or for not being able to turn the engine on. The engine is a functional part on almost all cruising or racing boats in what regards production of energy to run systems, that engine can assume the form of the main engine or a generator.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 05:24   #359

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
This is where I completely disagree with you Polux. Which surprises me that you would suggest this because I thought you too were keen on the traditionalism of the S2H.

I the race was determined only on line honors, then there is really no point in any vessels other than the super maxi's being in the race. It just doesn't make any sense.
I am only interested in the tradition of S2H in what regards the race to be one of the top in the world and to remain so it cannot be raced, much less wined by slow out dated sailboats through some dubious attribution of a rating that favors them.

The place of old out dated and slow sailboats, in what regards racing, is club racing, not on a race that is among the top sail world races, where only fast boats should be allowed.

As I have expressed already it would make all sense to divide the Sydney Hobart in two races, one for professionals and top amateurs with racing boats or fast cruiser racers and another one, more open to all that wanted to participate on a historic event with all kinds of cruising and old boats.

A S2H being won by an 34ft old cruiser racer that sails on the tail of the race (71th on 77 boats) or by King Bill, a 38ft that is on 67th while a 35ft cruiser racer sails in 23th makes no sense at all to me. The ones that race seriously should do so in fast boats not on old slow boats that can "win" the race in an administrative way.

But of course, I understand others that see tradition in another way, and want to see S2H remain an amateur event with some professionals doing it and see the race on a near future become a historical event with mostly local meaning.

I would like to see it as a part of a future world oceanic professional championship that would include all the races that today are the best and more famous, a championship that would be raced on top racing machines and obviously not something depending on a more or less favorable rating but mostly on size and types of boats.

This difference of view comes from two different perspectives:

I love sail ocean racing and I follow all top events, I am interested in boat design, boat's top performance and in ocean sailing as a sport while I bet you will only follow with really interest the S2H, that you see like the traditional Australian race, "your" race that you would like to remain as it was on the past, an historical event.

Nothing wrong with having different views on the subject and no wrong or right here, but they explain why we have different views on the subject
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 05:57   #360

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I am only interested in the tradition of S2H in what regards the race to be one of the top in the world and to remain so it cannot be raced, much less wined by slow out dated sailboats through some dubious attribution of a rating that favors them.

The place of old out dated and slow sailboats, in what regards racing, is club racing, not on a race that is among the top sail world races, where only fast boats should be allowed.

A S2H being won by an 34ft old cruiser racer that sails on the tail of the race (71th on 77 boats) or by King Bill, a 38ft that is on 67th while a 35ft cruiser racer sails in 23th makes no sense at all to me. The ones that race seriously should do so in fast boats not on old slow boats that can "win" the race in an administrative way.
So where is your cut off between "fast boats" and "old slow boats".

Following your argument to its logical conclusion, there is no point in having any form of handicapping. The only prize should be first across the line. And then it comes down purely to who has the biggest pockets, not who are the best sailors.

And suddenly you have a fleet of 3 or 4 boats, rather than 100 and that's the end of the sport.

Sorry, but I've seen the same argument too many times at club level where the guy with the newest, fastest boat in the club thinks that he should win every race and collect every trophy at the end of the season.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney