Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 14:36   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 33
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

I remember Comanche last year heading out of Sydney Harbour and showing her potential speed with a following breeze. Awesome sight.
OzClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 14:36   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Reasonably quick motor sailers.
So, a boat that uses the 'wind' to propel it, is a motor sailor? Interesting.

Would it not also be true that according to your logic here, ANY vessel that uses 'sails' to propel it, but also has an engine on board, is a 'motor sailer' ? CF must have very few 'sailors' then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to 'sailing' and we probably think alike. But, I certainly can't dismiss these large vessels that are propelled solely by the wind as sail boats.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 15:36   #18

The egos of many of the racers are bigger than the boats.
Old 10-12-2015, 16:29   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
you are joking! only condomarans motorsail.

why multis are not allowed to participate ? Some kind of racism against multis ?
Apparently the reason they give is that they are not safe enough for this type of event due to the sea conditions.

That is rather lame...and I agree that it is a senseless argument. Cats and trimarans are allowed on many other races and I would like to see how they would perform on this one, specially cruiser racers, like Catanas, Outremer or Gunboat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 16:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Apparently the reason they give is that they are not safe enough for this type of event due to the sea conditions.

That is rather lame...and I agree that it is a senseless argument. Cats and trimarans are allowed on many other races and I would like to see how they would perform on this one, specially cruiser racers, like Catanas, Outremer or Gunboat.

I think that's a big leap to say 'safety' is the reason. The CYC have not stated a reason in the past 12 months other than it's a 'mono' race for mono's. Which I think the same answer will be given if a group of 'motor boats' wanted to participate.

Unfortunately, with the current number of record breaking entries I can't see Multi's being admitted for a while. But eventually, to remain relevant I had no doubt they will be. But for now, the official reason is because it's traditionally been a race for 'mono's.
Old 10-12-2015, 17:00   #21

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think that's a big leap to say 'safety' is the reason. The CYC have not stated a reason in the past 12 months other than it's a 'mono' race for mono's. Which I think the same answer will be given if a group of 'motor boats' wanted to participate.

Unfortunately, with the current number of record breaking entries I can't see Multi's being admitted for a while. But eventually, to remain relevant I had no doubt they will be. But for now, the official reason is because it's traditionally been a race for 'mono's.
I don't guess they have changed opinion and that was the reason they had provided on past editions.

Motorboats have nothing to do with it. That is a race for sailboats and all sailboats should be admitted, if they are deemed safe to make the race.

Multihulls are more recent than monohulls so it is normal that past editions have monohulls, even if on the more recent past editions they don't have mulis because they don't allow it.

Traditionalism at its worst equals to conservatorism. There are a circumnavigation race that excludes all boats but full keel boats. About as bad as excluding any type of sailboat from a sail race.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 17:20   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So, a boat that uses the 'wind' to propel it, is a motor sailor? Interesting.

Would it not also be true that according to your logic here, ANY vessel that uses 'sails' to propel it, but also has an engine on board, is a 'motor sailer' ? CF must have very few 'sailors' then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to 'sailing' and we probably think alike. But, I certainly can't dismiss these large vessels that are propelled solely by the wind as sail boats.
Its not about having an engine on board - its about the fact that they HAVE to run the engine full time while racing. The reality with canting keel boats is that they have to run the motor al the time to have hydraulic pressure to move the keel. Should they have an engine issue they will be severely comprised and indeed as was the case in 2012 (I think) one of the leaders withdrew citing itv was unsafe to continue without a working engine. Certainly even if the keel was pumped back to centre their ability to race and go quick and carry full sail is very very compromised.

Its my view that any boat than cannot race if it engine stops is clearly not a sail boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 21:27   #23

Quote:
I don't guess they have changed opinion and that was the reason they had provided on past editions.

Motorboats have nothing to do with it. That is a race for sailboats and all sailboats should be admitted, if they are deemed safe to make the race.

Multihulls are more recent than monohulls so it is normal that past editions have monohulls, even if on the more recent past editions they don't have mulis because they don't allow it.

Traditionalism at its worst equals to conservatorism. There are a circumnavigation race that excludes all boats but full keel boats. About as bad as excluding any type of sailboat from a sail race.
They have moved away from claiming multihulls are not safe enough. Not surprisingly they have to as their 'not safe enough' arguments are becoming embarrassing to them.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. I'd have no problems with multihulls being included. But the reason they are now stating is because it's a 'mono' hull race and if multihulls want to run their own race, then there welcome to it.

You saying 'motorboats' have nothing to do with it, is no different to them saying 'multihulls' have nothing to do with it. YOU say, 'all' sail boats should be included, and motor boat people will say, 'all boats' should be entitled to race in it.
Old 10-12-2015, 21:28   #24

Quote:
Its not about having an engine on board - its about the fact that they HAVE to run the engine full time while racing. The reality with canting keel boats is that they have to run the motor al the time to have hydraulic pressure to move the keel. Should they have an engine issue they will be severely comprised and indeed as was the case in 2012 (I think) one of the leaders withdrew citing itv was unsafe to continue without a working engine. Certainly even if the keel was pumped back to centre their ability to race and go quick and carry full sail is very very compromised.

Its my view that any boat than cannot race if it engine stops is clearly not a sail boat.
Yeah, well that's why you and me don't get to make the rules for this race
Old 10-12-2015, 21:57   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It seems that having the engine running allows the boat to sail faster and point higher. Why not couple the engine to a prop and be done with it
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 21:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It seems that having the engine running allows the boat to sail faster and point higher. Why not couple the engine to a prop and be done with it
Because then the purely motor boats would be in on it and take all the glory.

Is the crew of a motor boat, a sailor?
Old 10-12-2015, 22:50   #27

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I understand that a certain ex-V8 Supercar driver is having a catamaran built and intends to leave Sydney Harbour at the same time as the racing yachts and attempt to get to Hobart before them. Not sure when it will be ready, but will be interesting to see how he goes.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 00:08   #28

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
I understand that a certain ex-V8 Supercar driver is having a catamaran built and intends to leave Sydney Harbour at the same time as the racing yachts and attempt to get to Hobart before them. Not sure when it will be ready, but will be interesting to see how he goes.
cat is not car. you do need real skills to handle this stuff. it can get dangerous going at 40 kn.

I will pray for him.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 00:13   #29

Quote:
Reasonably quick motor sailers.
this is disappointing. why dont we say what it is. This race is more like retro stuff. Memories of glorious 19 century. If organizers do not change will step in retro world.

There is no way monos will ever have around the world record again. Single hander did it in less than 50 days on a cat. No motor. Couple of solar panels only.
Old 11-12-2015, 00:20   #30

Quote:

this particular race has lots of square seas and this would favour monos especially in lighter winds.

would be pride boost for mono-ists, for sure.

Tags
sydney