Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 15:23   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sydney to Bundaberg - Antifouling?

As I'm planning on heading north soon I'm wondering what's the optimum antifouling availability between Sydney and Bundaberg?

Ideally I'd like somewhere that has available labour and is flat (I'm not getting any younger!), and does not have time pressure (with a steel boat it's nice to come out for a more than a few days to get all the "spots").

I'd also like to be able to get some of the last 10 years buildup of antifouling off so wet sanding or soda blasting or similar would be a plus.

Nearby motel with swimming pool and good cafe would be another plus.

I'm going to try out a new diver in the next couple of weeks, but last time I did that it was only good for a month or so, then needed to be done again, so the closer to Sydney the better.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:00   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Sydney to Bundaberg - Antifouling?

RQYS perhaps
As a visitor you can come out (as a local who is not a member I can not)
They do have a hotel attached. http://www.manlymarinacove.com/
I dont know if John Steer still does work but he used to be quite reasonable
John Steer Marine Pty Ltd - Located in Manly (QLD) : Boat & Yacht Builders : AussieWeb Local Search
Old 30-03-2012, 17:48   #3

If you want to blast the boat, best do it in Qld. NSW requires the boat be put in an enclosed shed, which means the rig will have to come off too.

I had my old steel boat sandblasted at Tin Can Bay marina. Plenty of accomodation nearby, including a caravan park.

I'd say the best value place to do it would most likely be Maryborough. (The sandblasting co I used had to travel from maryborough, so I had to pay for some travel time.) Don't know how far the nearest accomodation is though.

Most yards in Qld do allow you to liveaboard even on the hard though.

Monty's marina north of Brisbane would be another economical option.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:10   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I had sandblasting done at Moolooaba (in the open) but it was some years ago, don't know if they still allow it.

Tin Can Bay is nice (or was?) I guess will always remain a few years behind the rest of the "progress" of the coast.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:16   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

MIght consider the Harwood Slipway on the Clarence River. It is a big yard, dealing primarily with small coastal ships, fishing vessels and other commercial rigs. But, they are happy to deal with yachts as well, and do sand blasting all the time. And you can be sure that they don't put the 300 foot ships into a shed to do it! We have friends who did a 14 month refit on a steel boat there, and others spent about a year on an aluminium yacht. It is a bit out in the sticks to be sure, and I don't recall any 3-5 star accommodations nearby, but Yamba isn't too far if you have transportation, and has all normal tourist facilities.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-03-2012, 23:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Speaking of transport I'm wondering how hard it would be to drive the car to each major stop as we head north?

We have an old but reliable car. Nice to have the use of it.

It does sound like if I can hang on till Yamba or points north the whole process could be easier.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 23:52   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
MIght consider the Harwood Slipway on the Clarence River. It is a big yard, dealing primarily with small coastal ships, fishing vessels and other commercial rigs. But, they are happy to deal with yachts as well, and do sand blasting all the time. And you can be sure that they don't put the 300 foot ships into a shed to do it! We have friends who did a 14 month refit on a steel boat there, and others spent about a year on an aluminium yacht. It is a bit out in the sticks to be sure, and I don't recall any 3-5 star accommodations nearby, but Yamba isn't too far if you have transportation, and has all normal tourist facilities.

Cheers,

Jim
If its the same friends I'm thinking of they were there for 14 months because all yard work stopped when the surf was up.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:13   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
If its the same friends I'm thinking of they were there for 14 months because all yard work stopped when the surf was up.
G'DAy Don,

Kinda doubt it in this case. The boat in question went there from Sydney to save some dollars on a hull paint job... and the job just grew and grew into a total refit. Was really nice when done, too. The slipway provided a welder and a painter when required, but the owners hired a local shipwright to do a bunch of interior changes while they were there. All pretty low key and laid back, and lots less expensive than in the big smoke.

But the place is kinda rustic... there were big green frogs living in the toilet bowls in the ablution block! Kinda disconcerting to hear a big, deep-voiced "rideep" coming from below your bum!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-03-2012, 00:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Speaking of transport I'm wondering how hard it would be to drive the car to each major stop as we head north?

We have an old but reliable car. Nice to have the use of it.

It does sound like if I can hang on till Yamba or points north the whole process could be easier.
Transport may be best done by leaving the car at a railway station and travelling back, e.g Drive to Coffs or grafton and leave it there.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling, sydney