Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 12:13   #1

Sydney harbour

Hello
We are in Sydney, Australia with our 2 kids (8&10) for the next 3 weeks on business and would love to go for a sail in the harbour for a couple of hours. Can anyone recommend a place we can do this. I guess we are more looking to crew than charter but would consider a 2 hour charter. We have a 34' Hunter back home in Toronto and have been sailing for 5 years on her but we do not have any international licences. Just our CYA and of course our Pleasure Craft operators Licence. Would be happy to return the favour in Toronto.
Many Thanks
ladybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 04:37   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Sydney harbour

Are you on the North Shore or on the Sydney side? I lived in Kirribilli and seem to recall charters starting there and also opposite the bridge next to Tivoli Gardens. I'm sure that there are many starting at the Sydney side docks as well.

You can have a blast going around Sydney Harbour just by taking the ferries to/from different destinations and the pricing is very cheap.
Old 14-01-2013, 05:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ladybo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 13:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Are you on the North Shore or on the Sydney side? I lived in Kirribilli and seem to recall charters starting there and also opposite the bridge next to Tivoli Gardens. I'm sure that there are many starting at the Sydney side docks as well.

You can have a blast going around Sydney Harbour just by taking the ferries to/from different destinations and the pricing is very cheap.
Thanks so much for the reply Zanshin. We are staying in Bondi. I will check out the ferry option for sure. I think someone mentioned that you had to get a ferry to the Zoo and the kids are really keen to go there.
Old 14-01-2013, 14:05   #5

Hi Ladybo,
welcome to Aus.
If there is a rough weather day be sure to go for a ferry ride. I suspect they aren't as much fun as the old antique wooden girls they had in the 70's, but wow, as a kid crossing back then it was a thrill and a half. While parents would be trying to look calm or openly panicking most kids would be climbing over seats trying to get a better look at the crashing waves, less fear back then in the world I think.

I'm sure you will find the zoo world class. You'll need to navigate a few snakes, spiders and other wild animals, bushfire, flood, heatwaves and snow on the way there, but thats just ordinary life here.

Would like to hear feedback about your trip and your thoughts on our highlights here.

Cheers
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 14:57   #6

We're heading for Sydney, but probably won't be there within the 3 weeks.

But I'm pretty sure there are charter companies operating out of Darling harbour, who will take you on skippered daysails. Some running old America's cup yachts, some with production type boats.

A ferry trip to the zoo and also to Manly would be very worthwhile.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:20   #7

Boat: Still doing research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
...But I'm pretty sure there are charter companies operating out of Darling harbour, who will take you on skippered daysails...
Most companies operating out of Darling Harbour (King Street Wharf) are mostly large commercial vessels (ie. that can take 100 passengers or more) www.captaincook.com.au or www.matilda.com.au

If you want a smaller yacht that most of us here in this forum owns, then head to Rushcutters Bay and visit EastSail - Sail Sydney - Sailing Sydney Harbour, Yacht Charter, Cruiser Charter, Sailing School

You can charter skippered or bare boat. From 30ft monohauls to 50ft Catamarans. Or a stinker (ie. powered boat) if you wish.

Once you've done Sydney Harbour, take a trip to Pittwater and do a sail there as well. It's about 30-40mins by car North from the city. Pittwarer is a much larger harbour that Sydney harbour and more places to explore. It's a good place for an overnight or multi-day sail.

Welcome to Australia.
Old 14-01-2013, 15:30   #8

Boat: Still doing research...

In addition, if you guys are still here (Sydney) on Australia Day (26 Jan), then the harbour will be a great place to be.

There will be many celebrations and free entertainment in the CBD and along the harbour and a huge fireworks display at 9pm along the harbour and the Sydney Harbour Bridge as the finale. Best views will be on a boat in the harbour. Otherwise, join the thousands of people crowding all available vantage points along the edges of the harbour. The atmosphere will be electric.
Old 14-01-2013, 15:46   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

If I recall correctly, CYCA in Rushcutters Bay has twilight racing where you can put your name down and be assigned a boat to race on. CYCA is well worth a visit, walk the marina arms anyway, IMHO.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 02:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
Hi Ladybo,
welcome to Aus.
If there is a rough weather day be sure to go for a ferry ride. I suspect they aren't as much fun as the old antique wooden girls they had in the 70's, but wow, as a kid crossing back then it was a thrill and a half. While parents would be trying to look calm or openly panicking most kids would be climbing over seats trying to get a better look at the crashing waves, less fear back then in the world I think.

I'm sure you will find the zoo world class. You'll need to navigate a few snakes, spiders and other wild animals, bushfire, flood, heatwaves and snow on the way there, but thats just ordinary life here.

Would like to hear feedback about your trip and your thoughts on our highlights here.

Cheers

Looking forward to having a ride on the ferry. Thanks for your welcome.
Old 15-01-2013, 02:21   #11

Thanks so much for the replies . All good advice I will check into it all for sure.
Old 15-01-2013, 02:53   #12

Hi, if you and your partner are in Sydney this weekend 19th/20th and can get to the North Sydney side then I'd be happy to take you out for a few hours. I need to get some new sails up, get some photos done, etc. Drop me a PM on this board with your details.
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 23:44   #13

Hi Hammer
If you're still looking for a new L450 owners version to purchase, I have to sell mine due to unforeseen circumstances, delivery March this year France or a couple of months later in Australia

Let me know if you're interested

Tom. kleintooth1@bigpond.com

Cheers
Kleintooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 12:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Most companies operating out of Darling Harbour (King Street Wharf) are mostly large commercial vessels (ie. that can take 100 passengers or more) www.captaincook.com.au or www.matilda.com.au
Most, but not all.

The ex AC boats run from darling harbour:
Sailing Sydney Harbour | Darling Harbour | close to Sydney Hotels

And these are production boats:
Sydney By Sail : Sydney Harbour Yachting - Sailing Charters - Sailing School - Darling Harbour
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney