Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 12:16   #1

Swimming Ladder

Hello all I have to mount a swimming ladder on my gunwale of my 30 ft allied Seawind...Problem is that I am a bigger guy and so is my gal...The cheap ladders out there don't work well for us especially if they swing into the underside of the boat because of the angle....ANY Help on a good (long) solid swim ladder would be awesome.
Capt. Strapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:25   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Swimming Ladder

Not sure if they’re still producing boat ladders, but we had the same issues. Found https://up-n-out.com. Amazing design and product. Folds up out of the way. Is flexible yet solid (and to explain … really does work). Can even be retrieved from a person in the water so doubles as our emergency ladder.

Not connected to the company. Just a very happy customer.
Old 26-03-2017, 16:37   #3

Thanks Mike that is exactly what I was looking for is the measurment hard to do
Old 26-03-2017, 17:44   #4

As I recall, the main measurement is the offset from the hull. Company has various options. Wasn’t hard to measure, but the owner was very helpful in assisting us get the right fit. Other than that, you just have to choose the best mounting system, and how many rungs you want.
Old 26-03-2017, 17:53   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanx for the link, it looks worth investigating.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 19:25   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

The swim ladder to me is the most important piece of safety equipment on a boat. I've fallen overboard twice and having an easy to deploy ladder is important. Know of three people who died after falling in at the pier and couldn't get out. In the winter you have minutes. Or the story about taking swim breaks before setting up the ladder so they could get back onboard and the boat drifts away.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 20:02   #7

Thanks for link. The OEM ladder for my boat is smack in the middle of the transom and I want to put a windvane there, so was looking for a replacement!
Old 28-03-2017, 07:55   #8

Well sailing in Lake Superior that cold water is a concern year round for me that is why I want a swim ladder that doesn't take so much energy to get out with. IF the weather is rough and the water is cold it can be the difference between hypothermia and not if you can get out of the water faster.
Old 28-03-2017, 08:20   #9

Boat: Krogen 42

Up-n-out has moved out of the country and only makes ladders for docks.
Old 28-03-2017, 08:53   #10

Hmmm, I just went to their website. They list their office as:

Scandia Marine Products
P.O. Box 3005
5014 Rice Lake Road
Duluth, MN 55803

And they list dock, dingy and boat ladders on the site. Is this out of date? I heard rumours that they may have sold/been bought out by someone. The product line looks the same, but with a few more options that when I bought about five years ago.
Old 28-03-2017, 09:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Up-n-out has moved out of the country and only makes ladders for docks.
Hi Capt.,

We greatly apologize that we did not respond to your request sooner. The link should be working now, thank you for notifying us of this. There are PDFs contained in the boat ladder section with prices and specs, and a measurement guide order form which can be sent to this email address.

Over the past year at Scandia Marine, we have found ourselves with limited resources to produce ladders beyond our standard dock and dinghy products and have not had adequate resources and the capacity to accommodate our customers with custom boat ladder requests. So you are aware, we have had some recent additions to our team this month and have plans to be producing custom boat ladders this spring (est. start April-May).

Once we receive your order, we will keep your information on file and notify you on our estimated production time.
We apologize that we are not able to meet your custom ladder needs any sooner at this time. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Erin Johnson
Scandia Marine Products

This was the letter they just sent to me so they are still making boat ones.
Old 28-03-2017, 09:30   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Mystic Stainless makes a very sturdy folding ladder, in different lengths, and custom fabricated to what mounting you need. I have one that I have had for probably 20-25 years, used on two different boats. My late wife, with mobility issues was able to climb the ladder with no fear of instability. However, you pay for quality. MYSTIC STAINLESS & ALUMINUM.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:28   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i loved my antique style wood boarding ladder with its bronze fittings and wide steps that were squooshed beyond disintigrated recognition in cane patricia. i have not found a satisfatctory boarding ladder since--so i will have to make one of fittings and wood. waaaahhh. the already made ones are not satisfactory for my needs, unless they are 5 step wide wooden boads with bronze fittings. must have 2 steps in water when extended/unfolded and a hand grasp on the top and front, where they are needed to pull self up onto the ladder
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 12:19   #14

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Mystic Stainless makes a very sturdy folding ladder, in different lengths, and custom fabricated to what mounting you need. I have one that I have had for probably 20-25 years, used on two different boats. My late wife, with mobility issues was able to climb the ladder with no fear of instability. However, you pay for quality. MYSTIC STAINLESS & ALUMINUM.

I've posted some photos of the ladder I made. It differs in some details from the Mystic ladder which was my inspiration but not in my budget: treads 2 1/2" wide and a fold in the center so that I can use it short 3' or long 6' with 3' into the water and allow it to stow roughly aligned with the rail at 3' above the deck. I made the stand offs with a hinge that deploys when it is folded down and lays flat when the ladder is folded up for storage.
I used a different hinge arrangement from the Mystic. The treads are made from Trex, a composite decking material from Home Depot. The standoffs angle the ladder away from vertical about 7" over 3' and the lower underwater portion follows that alignment.
My costs all in for this ladder was $400 about half of the mystic unit. The width of the ladder was a full 24" to match the width of the gate through the railing, if I had made the treads more narrow it could have cost proportionally less but I wanted it to meet my Septuagenarian Sailing Standards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	144142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	144143  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg