Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 00:55   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Surveyors - San Carlos, Mexico

Hello,

Looking for recommendations for Sailboat surveyors in the of San Carlos, Sonara area in Mexico.

Thanks
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 08:24   #2

Boat: 30' Bayliner Buccaneer S/V Ka-Em-Te
There are a couple there. I will get an e-mail address for you later today or tomorrow.
going-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 12:02   #3

Boat: Nor'West 33
Re: Surveyors-San Carlos, Mexico

Hi guys -- hoping I can piggy-back on this thread about surveyors in San Carlos? I have heard of a couple in the area but I am getting pretty mixed reviews... anybody you've used / would recommend?

Thanks!
synchronicity98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 15:28   #4

Boat: 30' Bayliner Buccaneer S/V Ka-Em-Te

I have been on a couple of boat jobs where Gary of Gary's Surveying in San Carlos was being used. He seemed like a personable gent and I have never heard different. That being said, you really don't have a lot of choices. If you are in the area, a great rescource to ask is fellas at San Carlos Yahts, Don Brame or Denny Grover. They can help you in so many ways with info. Hope this helps. Trisha
going-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 19:19   #5

Boat: Cal 2-46

Allan Wheeler did a survey for me 3 yrs ago. I am not sure if he is still in the business. He did a good job.

Gary can be reached through Gary's Dive Shop. He is a decent guy and seems to know the business through owning and maintaining his dive boats which are power boats and might be a little less knowledgeable about sail, although I am sure he has done many sailboat surveys too.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 06:04   #6

Boat: Tayana 37

I also used Allan Smith from Wheelers,

Did a very good job, the price was reasonable and his advice sound.

Dont have any experience with the other surveyors but can highly recommend Allan

See details below

All the best...

"Allan F. Smith" <allansmithmarine@hotmail.com>

Allan F Smith MMS38005S
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Wheeler Maritime International, Inc.
Yacht Surveys and Deliveries Worldwide.
USSA/ACMS/ABYC/LLOYDS

Website Home

52 622 226 1322 - office. phone/fax
521 622 855 8532 - cel.
US 1 520 762 7487 (calls to Mexico)
Skype - allanricochet
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:51   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

I also used Allan Smith and he was very good. Of course we had to walk out on the boat before dond a full survey b/c it was in such bad shape.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 15:32   #8

Thank you very much!

Can't tell you how nice it is to have some "first-hand" referrals, rather than just who the brokers would like us to use!
Old 24-04-2011, 18:47   #9

Arrow Re: Surveyors in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Quick follow-up to the post -- we ended up using Allan Smith and would definitely recommend him. Price was fair, he is very knowledgeable, and he was flexible with our somewhat crazy schedule. I don't think San Carlos is the easiest place to find a surveyor, so it was nice to use someone that the CF community had already tried and recommended, and we were able to negotiate the price down a little based on the few issues the survey turned up (Allan assisted us with getting quotes for those issues very quickly, so we had a legitimate leg to stand on with the brokers).

The brokers, on the other hand, are a whole other story.

We did end up buying the boat we were looking at (extremely excited about this!!!), however the brokers nearly turned us off the whole deal. I won't name him by name (there are only two brokerages in San Carlos, so you can PM me for details), but be warned that they are 100% slimy salesmen who do not give a rats-a** about the buyers and are only out to make the most for themselves. In fact our broker actually said this to us. I really try hard to believe that people are generally good and to give everyone the benefit of the doubt... but these brokers need to be dealt with at an arm's length. If we hadn't had a 100% positive experience with the seller and Allan I don't think we'd be happy new boat owners now!
Old 24-04-2011, 22:21   #10

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Re: Surveyors in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity98 View Post
The brokers, on the other hand, are a whole other story.
We did end up buying the boat we were looking at (extremely excited about this!!!), however the brokers nearly turned us off the whole deal. I won't name him by name (there are only two brokerages in San Carlos, so you can PM me for details), but be warned that they are 100% slimy salesmen who do not give a rats-a** about the buyers and are only out to make the most for themselves. In fact our broker actually said this to us. I really try hard to believe that people are generally good and to give everyone the benefit of the doubt... but these brokers need to be dealt with at an arm's length. If we hadn't had a 100% positive experience with the seller and Allan I don't think we'd be happy new boat owners now!
I am sorry to hear that as I know all three (the two you allude to and one more) brokers who operate in San Carlos, and they are all up-front and honest about what you are looking at/dealing with. Perhaps you found a new broker?
In any event, am glad you found a boat to your liking.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san carlos