Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2010, 14:02   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpemb7 View Post
Exactly !
What about a preservice survey that includes a hull sounding. If it finds voids in the laminate, you walk away and tell the dealer to get you another one. If this happened a few times you can bet they would be more careful with there layups.
As I said, I do only three or four of these types of surveys per year. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a very complex hand built product without a hired gun to look out for my interests. There are hundreds of hands involved in building a 40' boat. The odds of getting everything right are pretty slim.

Old 11-01-2010, 15:02   #47

Boat: Irwin 40
It is interesting that two responders on this thread who would not trust a surveyor if they were paid by someone else both are or have been surveyors. This probably speaks a great deal about the chances of real "independent" surveys actually being possible in the real world.

Jim

Well the problem is we are in this business and know what goes on all the time. For example I had a client that hired me to survey a boat this summer. I found some major problems with the boat so the seller contacted another surveyor I know, that surveyor agreed with my findings, so the seller contacted another not so respected surveyor. He said the boat was great not problems a real jewel. The sell contacted the buyer and said see I have somebody that thinks your guy is wrong. The buyer said sorry no thanks. now somebody will come along and use the sellers 3rd survey and think the boat is fine. I feel bad for that guy.

I have see brokers do this too, just keep getting the boat looked at till he gets a report he likes.

Honestly I am not disagreeing with you on this because I want to protect my little business, myself and most surveyors really want to see our clients protected and get the best value possible. It's not like we are getting rich
doing this. I just honestly think it would be a big mistake to turn over the
responsibility of reporting the condition of a boat to the person selling it. Do you take the used car dealers word for it that the car you are looking at is ok. I don't But if you are comfortable with it then just take the sellers word for it why would he lie?

Fair Winds

sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:33   #48
Marine Service Provider

My site is commercial so I can't post a link but if you are interested enough you can google " 9 questions to ask before choosing your marine surveyor " it may help explain some of the issues Wayne and I deal with on a daily basis and why we may seem just a little bit cynical.
Old 11-01-2010, 15:53   #49

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
boatpoker/sailvayu

First of all, I want to say that the next time I buy a boat I'm going to ask you to recommend a surveyor to me. Your passion and committment to your craft is a credit to you.

Now.. I don't want to flog the Warranty Survey idea to death. I only have an intellectual interest in it but...

Quote:
I found some major problems with the boat so the seller contacted another surveyor I know, that surveyor agreed with my findings, so the seller contacted another not so respected surveyor. He said the boat was great not problems a real jewel.
Notwithstanding all the other issues/problems etc you have with a warranty survey. Don't you concede that the third surveyor you mentioned would be more honest if he had to guarantee his survey for 12 months ?

The other Jim
Old 11-01-2010, 16:00   #50

Boat: Bruckmann 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My site is commercial so I can't post a link but if you are interested enough you can google " 9 questions to ask before choosing your marine surveyor " it may help explain some of the issues Wayne and I deal with on a daily basis and why we may seem just a little bit cynical.
I wasn't criticizing your cynicism. Just commenting that if "you guys" are cynical it would seem pretty unrealistic for the typical buyer to find a true "independent" survey a buyer and a seller can both count on.

My problem with the whole system is that while you may do fine finding someone to trust, because you are in the business, someone from another state without any more resources then we have available has a much smaller chance of achieving a similar results and therefore while we may agree on the concept the actual end result may be no better then a flip of a coin and a gut feeling by the buyer.

It is this uncertainty that makes me skeptical of surveying a new boat. I, as a regular buyer, would actually trust the quality control program of the manufacturer that I had decided was good enough to buy from then I would my ability to find a good surveyor.

Jim
Old 11-01-2010, 16:07   #51
Marine Service Provider

Other Jim, If I had to provide a warranty, I sure wouldn't be working for $16.00/ft.

Jim, Quality control ? google this one " Stoopid Tricks By Boat Builders". I didn't take offense at being thought cynical ..... that might be a good thing in a surveyor
Old 11-01-2010, 20:20   #52

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
We need a few more Jims. We're getting hammered here! lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: