Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 14:01   #1

Suggest a Charter Company

I want to take the wife sailing this year to get her accustomed to the idea. I'd like to charter a boat with a crew for a few days of cruising and having fun. I want to be able for us to help sail the boat and learn as we do as well as get the live aboard experience. A few days to a week would be ideal. Any suggestions of a good charter company that won't break the bank? A catamaran would be ideal, but a mono will do in a pinch. We're in Florida by the way but could travel to get to a better sailing destination.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 15:14   #2

Boat: Wilderness 1100
Re: Suggest a Charter Company

I you fancy a trip to Oz, I can highly recommend the Whitsunday Islands, and Charter Yachts Australia. My wife and I and another couple chartered there last August (our winter). The company, the boat and the location could not have been better. It was a Seawind 1160. This link may work: Yaminda Seawind 1160 | Whitsunday Sailing - Charter Yachts Australia
Everything you need is provided, and the hands on experience and boat handling induction of four or so hours is first class. Best wishes,
Greg
scaredycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 19:27   #3

Wow, looks really great but I guess I should have set some travel boundaries. I think I'd like to keep it to somewhere in florida or at least the Caribbean. While I would love to visit Australia, I'm not sure I want to fly down there to go sailing. I may sail there someday God willing.

Tom
Old 21-02-2014, 04:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Hi Tom
I have recently being doing some instructional charters for the Catamaran Company in Hodges Creek Tortola, BVI,they have some new Gemini cats that are perfect for a couple to get some Catamaran sailing experience on, they are simply rigged and easy to manouver, they are very reasonably priced for charter in the same range as a monohull of the same length, you could take one of my Skippers for instruction if you like.
If you want something a bit bigger one of my ex students has a really nice Leopard 47 in charter now, it has Aircon, generator and lots of toys on-board, he is keen to keep it busy.
Let me know if you want any more info.
Steve
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 07:02   #5

Tortola, send me a website via personal message if you have one. I'd be open to either the Gemini's or the leopard.

Tom
Old 21-02-2014, 07:35   #6

This maybe a bit cheeky but I thought I would put it forward as an option, as Tortola says the BVI's are a great cruising ground for the novice.
My wife and I spent a month on a Lagoon 380 owners version bareboat charter from BVI yacht charters in Joma mariner last February, the owners hull would get the wife enthusiastic , my wife was a none sailer but we have had motor cruisers for 15 years and she loved it.
We are heading to Bvi to live in sept/ oct this year, I have my RYA yachtmaster coastal stcw95 first aid and sea safety and hope to complete my offshore and commercially endorse this year

If timings can be worked out we would love to help you with your cruise, pm me if this sounds feasible.

Regards Paul
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 08:45   #7

Check out Barefoot Yacht charters in the Granadines (2 hour flight from you). They have 7 day packages where you can learn to sail on a cat. Food is included and pricing was pretty decent, around 1500-1600 per person.
Old 17-03-2014, 14:56   #8

Boat: Beneteau 343
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptHaddock

Yachting Vacations in Punta Gorda, FL. they have a Seawind 1000XL cat.
Check them out.
CaptHaddock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter