Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 10:44   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Storm boards for windows

I have decided not to replace the windows on my Albin Vega with oversized plastic windows bolted and sealed to the outside of the hull. Instead, I'll be keeping the rubber gasketed windows, and replacing the gaskets.

Though my boat has sailed around the world once already with these windows, I would feel more comfortable fabricating storm boards which I can affix to the outside of the windows in heavy weather -- as to avoid a window punching-in from a large beam-on breaking wave.

I've seen polycarbonate boards and wood boards that can be screwed into fittings placed around the windows, but I would rather have a solution that allows for quick placement of the boards, such that I'll be more motivated to put them in place early, rather than waiting for the weather to get bad.

Any good ideas out there?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:02   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Storm boards for windows

I'd place them inside. Hinged on the top edge..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:05   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

I think the reason I'm worried about placing them inside is that it won't actually prevent the window from blowing out. The window will still take the full force of the wave.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:40   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

They don't always blow in. Sometimes they blow out from the compression of the cabin. If the boat falls off a wave and lands on it's side, the cabin can get squashed and blow the windows out.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 09:05   #5

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I used a full length fender board, reversed with the fenders outboard, wide enough to cover the height of the window, dual use.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I have decided not to replace the windows on my Albin Vega with oversized plastic windows bolted and sealed to the outside of the hull. Instead, I'll be keeping the rubber gasketed windows, and replacing the gaskets.

Though my boat has sailed around the world once already with these windows, I would feel more comfortable fabricating storm boards which I can affix to the outside of the windows in heavy weather -- as to avoid a window punching-in from a large beam-on breaking wave.

I've seen polycarbonate boards and wood boards that can be screwed into fittings placed around the windows, but I would rather have a solution that allows for quick placement of the boards, such that I'll be more motivated to put them in place early, rather than waiting for the weather to get bad.

anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 09:31   #6

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
I used a full length fender board, reversed with the fenders outboard, wide enough to cover the height of the window...

Hmmm... that's a good idea...
Old 24-08-2017, 09:45   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

My question is, if they're easy to put in place, won't they also be easily displaced?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:32   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Ye. It is just two teak slides each way and a piece of clear plastic.

The slides / rails are a bit of pain when not in use. They catch lines and toes.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 18:19   #9

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
I have decided not

To fulfill our Cat1 requirements for leaving NZ we carried plywood panels and a hammer and some big nails.
I thought our windows were more at risk from a flying shackle than wave pressure
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 18:54   #10

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
I think the reason I'm worried about placing them inside is that it won't actually prevent the window from blowing out. The window will still take the full force of the wave.
And the stormboards would be intact and closed. However placed inside they better be perfectly fitted. I'd be more worried about what Barny said about lines and toes.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 20:49   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

One of my friends on a 42 foot yacht was sailing from Fiji to New Zealand, and when the boat heeled over suddenly, he lost his balance and his elbow hit a port light and shattered the port light. The elbow survived without significant injury. So it doesn't take a knockdown or a large boarding sea to break a port light. He already had plywood port light covers on board that he placed without much difficulty.

If I was worried about broken port lights, I would precut plywood to the size required for a repair.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 21:05   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

maxingout, et al,

Funny how one's experience affects one's thinking on this. We had some friends who lost their boat in part due to not having storm boards for their ports, so I would look for solutions that allowed me to use them, despite the hassle. The slide in channels for a lexan storm board seem good, if there is some sort of keeper to keep them in place in a roll over situation.

Ann
Old 24-08-2017, 21:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I think that Lexan installed before any large passage is probably the best idea. That way you could pre-install mounting pads for machine screws.

Are you going to cover your hatches as well?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 21:21   #14

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

My first boat had plywood storm boards for the trip out from the UK to NZ where I bouggt the boat. First time I used them across cook strait one got ripped off as we plowed through the karori rip. Probably my fault for not lashing them on tight enough, but they do need to be very well secured.

On another vessel we had a window punched out by a rogue wave in otherwise ok conditions, so the storm boards were not in position. So anything you have needs to be used all trip.

For your boat Id probably put 6mm lexan bolted on outside with a small air gap. And some reinforcing bars inside. The outside lexan takes care of shock impacts. The internal bars stop the window punching in.
Old 24-08-2017, 21:52   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I posed my "question" earlier, as I have trouble seeing a way of essentially, permanently mounting such covers in a hurry, while on a wildly bouncing boat in a seaway, when you also have other, quite pressing, matters to attend to in order to be properly prepared for the blow. Plus which, there are times when weather catches you unawares, & you're in the s**t before you have time to do much more than put on your foulies.
Think about how quickly a line squall comes upon you. You've got a few minutes, tops. And with downdrafts, microbursts, or katiabtic winds, even less.

The word "permanent" is in quotes above, as if the boards are easy to slip in place, will they then also not be easily forced out of place? Much better to permanently bolt some thick Lexan covers on from the beginning, as Snowpetrel suggests. And keep in mind that even Lexan which is quite thick is still surprisingly flexible when pressed on with force. There's little question as to it's strength, at least when new, but it does have it's weaknesses. Flexibility being one. And a couple of others are it's shocking strength losses due to UV, & also from long term moisture exposure & absorption.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind